Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

StartingProtein Shakes Before you need to...

I'm waiting for Insurance approval now. Hope it will happen soon. Did everything, 6 month supervised diet, psych. eval. Now just the waiting game. Didn't really lose much 1-2lbs on supervised diet. But doctor wanted me to try to lose 10 lbs. So I decided to start some Protein Shakes for awhile before I even need to. Did anyone else do this also? Would definely love to get off 10 lbs surgery. Just wondering if he would even do surgery on me if I didn't lose the 10 lbs.

What's your purpose for drinking Protein shakes? Just because? Do you have plans to exercise pretty hard/weight lift? If not I don't see the real point.

The purpose of Protein Shakes is truly convenience; people drink them when there isn't time for a meal. Why drink Protein when you can eat a 4oz chicken breast and feel satieated for much longer? Protein won't make you lose weight. After/before surgery we're usually pushed to drink them so that we lose fat, not pre-existing muscle mass.

Just my $.02. I see no purpose unless you're looking to workout hard or if you're on the go and need a meal.

What's your purpose for drinking Protein shakes? Just because? Do you have plans to exercise pretty hard/weight lift? If not I don't see the real point.

The purpose of Protein Shakes is truly convenience; people drink them when there isn't time for a meal. Why drink Protein when you can eat a 4oz chicken breast and feel satieated for much longer? Protein won't make you lose weight. After/before surgery we're usually pushed to drink them so that we lose fat, not pre-existing muscle mass.

Just my $.02. I see no purpose unless you're looking to workout hard or if you're on the go and need a meal.

I figured it would help me prepare for the 2 weeks of drinking these. Just wanted to incorporate some of these in my diet now and get use to them. Had one this morningat 6:30 for Breakfast not to bad. Still feel really full at 11:30 not even wanting anything right now. I'm really surprised how full I feel yet. Also I plan on exercising to just like normal or even step it up a notch, since it is finally getting warm up here.

during my preop stage. i upped my Protein but i added the supplement to my food broth or clear Soups. I did not drink the shake, to thick and sweet for me. I did this to help promote faster healing. i was on a clear liquid preop for 5-6 days prior to surgery. So the added protein mixed with my broth satisified more than just regular broth. Now when surgery came around i began putting protein in everything i drank to help the speed up healing and satisify my hunger again during my two week post op liquid phase. I still supplement my eating with a protein milk (FF milk, Protein Powder, sweetner and vanilla). I drink this first thing in the morning. This boosts my protein and allows me to eat good portions of protein on my own. If I calculate from journalling i still have not had enough protein i will have another protein milk in the evening. Definitely speak with your nutritionist about adding protein. I supplement with protein powder but still do not rely on it as my main source of protein. You have to begin searching for protein rich foods, meat, spinach, legumes, some like tofu. Congratulation on your upcoming Journey! it is one i will be eternally greatful that i did! Changed my life. Good Luck and God Bless!:D

I switched over to two Protein Shakes a day prior to my two week requirement of full liquids prior to my surgery on Monday 3/21 and had great results. Not only did it get me regimented for these two weeks but it made me much more accountable for what I was having for my dinner. I looked at it as "well if I was good all day I don't want to blow it at dinner". If there was something I was craving even though it wasn't the best choice I would allow myself it on the weekend but noticed that my portion size greatly decreased because I just was not as hungry once I started to eat it. Since starting the two shakes a day in late December I have lost 20 lbs. and now since starting the full two weeks of liquids i've lost another 12 lbs so i'm down a total of 32 lbs before the surgery. Grant it the last week of the fluids is the hardest because you're mind thought is all over the place from excited to nervous to anxious to isomnia but just keep remembering why you have started this journey and keep your eyes on the prize at the end(a healthier, happier and more satisfied person). Good luck on your journey and there are lots of positive people out here that are always happy to help and guide you.

I switched over to two Protein shakes a day prior to my two week requirement of full liquids prior to my surgery on Monday 3/21 and had great results. Not only did it get me regimented for these two weeks but it made me much more accountable for what I was having for my dinner. I looked at it as "well if I was good all day I don't want to blow it at dinner". If there was something I was craving even though it wasn't the best choice I would allow myself it on the weekend but noticed that my portion size greatly decreased because I just was not as hungry once I started to eat it. Since starting the two shakes a day in late December I have lost 20 lbs. and now since starting the full two weeks of liquids i've lost another 12 lbs so i'm down a total of 32 lbs before the surgery. Grant it the last week of the fluids is the hardest because you're mind thought is all over the place from excited to nervous to anxious to isomnia but just keep remembering why you have started this journey and keep your eyes on the prize at the end(a healthier, happier and more satisfied person). Good luck on your journey and there are lots of positive people out here that are always happy to help and guide you.

Congrats on your upcoming Surgery! Only 3 days to go! Can't wait for my day also. This is kind of what i was thinking. Want time to get use to "Liquid" Stage. I was hoping to get rid of some of the "carbs" in my diet and this would help me also. When you did this Protein shake, did you find yourself after having one for Breakfast that you are not hunger for lunch? I'm still feeling very full yet and its 1pm and I had my shake at 6:30 this morning. Thanks

I've been giving Protein Shakes the test run just to see what I like but if you are looking to lose weight and want to try the shake thing, then perhaps something like a Slimfast Meal Replacement would be better? Two shakes a day and a little dinner? I am doing this now to get some weight off before surgery. I've lost 10 so far w/o the shakes but want to lose a little more before the surgery. I'm not due to be banded until April 18th but I want to get more off.

Congrats on your upcoming Surgery! Only 3 days to go! Can't wait for my day also. This is kind of what i was thinking. Want time to get use to "Liquid" Stage. I was hoping to get rid of some of the "carbs" in my diet and this would help me also. When you did this Protein shake, did you find yourself after having one for breakfast that you are not hunger for lunch? I'm still feeling very full yet and its 1pm and I had my shake at 6:30 this morning. Thanks

Yes the Protein shakes really helped me stay full and even now I have to make sure that i'm watching the clock because even though I may not be hungry for one I have to get it in to keep up with the 80g of protein required for my liquid stage. If you get bored with the regular flavors you can always add a little bit of liquid flavoring(like you use for holiday cookies) or sugar free/fat free instant puddin mix or the sugar free coffee syrups that you find in the coffee isle and this will change things up for you....doctor recommended all these).

Starting your shakes early is a good idea. I started a bit early myself, which ended up being good as I found out I was allergic to the Protein Shakes.< img src="http://cdn.lapbandtalk.com/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif" alt="blink.gif" /> I would have been somewhat pooched if I had left it to the last minute when I had no choice but to rely on them to find out they made me writhe on the floor in agony.

Really thank god in your case Onikenbai for being proactive lol That would have really sucked if you found out too late. I'm a creature of habit so I did not want that whole two week pre op diet to be an experience in itself so it worked out well for me and helped me take more weight off even before those two weeks started and in my opinion anything that you can do to loose weight that you can manage comfortably is a "SCORE" for me. LOL

I've started drinking them and I just started my supervised diet phase. I want time to try several out and see which ones I like better. I've found that they are great for dessert or mid-afternoon snack when I normally would have eaten a candy bar or piece of cake. They're a whole lot better for me than a candy bar. And I drink the chocolate ones and it cures my craving for chocolate. Something that a piece of chicken will never do!