Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my Lap-band surgery on November 18, 2011 and I really feel so much better. My problem is when I get a fill (I've had 3 now). I don't feel any different and really only feel a slight restriction for about a week. I'm thinking that should be different. I don't know if I'm not telling my doctor something right so I'm not getting enough. I really don't know how I'm supposed to feel while he is giving me the fill. Are there any signs that I should feel to make me know what to tell the doctor so I'm sure I'm getting a good fill. I'm scheduled for an appointment on 3/21/2011 and know that I will be getting a fill as I have no restrictions now and can pretty much eat what I want - when I want.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks - jeanne

It is kind of a slow proceedure. The slightest bit can make you go from feeling like you can eat almost anything to not being able to eat at all. I don't think after 3 fills he will put any more in then 1cc (if that) because he won't want to get you too tight. It seems like a long process and truth be told... it is. You'll get there. Good Luck to you.

How long before the first fill? I know it takes some time to allow for healing but when should I expect to get my first fill done? Thx.

Honestly different doctors have different protocols as far as the fills go so there is no one answer. I had my 1st fill of 1cc at 5 weeks post op as my doctor sees you 1 week post op & then every 4 weeks (unless you have a problem/concern and need to go sooner). My doctor also allows the band to hold some Fluid at the time it's placed during the surgery. The amount varies with each patient as he allows it to hold just enough to have it "fit" well when placed. For instance mine held 3.2cc's when placed & another patient who had surgery the same day (we have since become friends) band held only 1.6cc's when placed. My 2nd & 3rd fills were each .5 cc's, done at 10 weeks & 18 weeks post op. I am now 20 weeks post op, have a total of 5.2cc's in my band. I feel I can still eat more then I am supposed to eat, however I am not hungry anymore when I eat an appropriate portion. I also remain full/satisfied for between 4-6 hours after a meal. Now all my food battles are head hunger or the ever popular damn I want to taste that NOW lol!! I truly didn't feel any different after each fill but if I was listening to my body I started to recognize I didn't need as much food to be satisfied. I have lost 56lb since surgery 10/25/10 & 71lbs total with the 15lbs I lost between my 1st consult & surgery, so I guess I am doing something right LOL!!

Hope this helps :)

I had my Lap-band surgery on November 18, 2011 and I really feel so much better. My problem is when I get a fill (I've had 3 now). I don't feel any different and really only feel a slight restriction for about a week. I'm thinking that should be different. I don't know if I'm not telling my doctor something right so I'm not getting enough. I really don't know how I'm supposed to feel while he is giving me the fill. Are there any signs that I should feel to make me know what to tell the doctor so I'm sure I'm getting a good fill. I'm scheduled for an appointment on 3/21/2011 and know that I will be getting a fill as I have no restrictions now and can pretty much eat what I want - when I want.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks - jeanne

I am in exactly the same place -- surgery 11/4/10 -- have had 3 fills -- none of them felt much different although with the last one I actually have gotten stuck a couple of times. I'm getting fill #4 on 3/21. I hope this one is where I feel some restriction. I've lost 33 since surgery and am really okay with that, but want to feel the restriction I haven't had yet. Good luck next week with your fill!

How long before the first fill? I know it takes some time to allow for healing but when should I expect to get my first fill done? Thx.

I had my first fill a month post op, and my second one a month after that and my 3rd one 2 weeks after that but only because I called them and told them I was making very poor food choices and I didn't think the fill was working. I am scheduled for an appt. on 3/21/2011 and will probably get another fill then.

Good Luck to you and stay positive - remember the band is a tool for weight loss NOT a solution -you have to work at it every day - both mentally and physically.