Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie from Southern Maryland : )

Hey there! I'm new to the forums and very new to this process. I've definitely decided to get the Lap Band surgery and have had a meeting with my surgeon; also have had 3 consultations with my nutritionist - I've lost almost 15 pounds so far, still over 100 to go!! :) The doctors and nurses are great and I love the meetings but I'm unfortunately doing this alone and thought it would be great to take this journey with someone local - maybe look into some support groups in the area. My sister is having the procedure done but she lives in PA, so it's not quite the same as having someone local. Are there any pre-surgery or even post-surgery members in the Waldorf, MD area? rolleyes.gif

Not in the Waldorf area but I am from MD and wanted to say hi! :)

Wow, you've lost 100 pounds in less than a year, that's amazing! Congratulations!! :) Thank you for stopping by. Your ticker is so cute, how did you make that? Was it hard to take the weight off?

Hey there! I'm new to the forums and very new to this process. I've definitely decided to get the Lap Band surgery and have had a meeting with my surgeon; also have had 3 consultations with my nutritionist - I've lost almost 15 pounds so far, still over 100 to go!! :) The doctors and nurses are great and I love the meetings but I'm unfortunately doing this alone and thought it would be great to take this journey with someone local - maybe look into some support groups in the area. My sister is having the procedure done but she lives in PA, so it's not quite the same as having someone local. Are there any pre-surgery or even post-surgery members in the Waldorf, MD area? rolleyes.gif

Hi I'm Nadea. I was banded on March 11. I used to live in Brandywine, Clinton, and Bowie, MD. Currently, I live in Fayetteville, NC. I know I'm still not "local" but familiar with your area at least. Let me know if you'd like to chat. Good luck with your LB journey.

Hi I'm Nadea. I was banded on March 11. I used to live in Brandywine, Clinton, and Bowie, MD. Currently, I live in Fayetteville, NC. I know I'm still not "local" but familiar with your area at least. Let me know if you'd like to chat. Good luck with your LB journey.

I'm very familiar with the Brandywine, Clinton area and I work in the Largo area which isn't far from Bowie. I'd love to chat! How was your surgery; How are you feeling?

Wow, you've lost 100 pounds in less than a year, that's amazing! Congratulations!! :) Thank you for stopping by. Your ticker is so cute, how did you make that? Was it hard to take the weight off?

Thanks!! I'm hoping to lose these last 12lbs before I hit my 1-year anniversary. Fingers crossed! I used http://www.tickerfactory.com/ezticker/ticker_designer.php then posted it in my signature.

It has been easier than I thought though now that it's slowed down I am a bit frustrating but I am not complaining. I'm wearing size 4s from size 20s! Feel free to message me if you have any questions/wanna chat.

In MD also... but i'm over on the Eastern Shore. Getting banded in Dover, DE hopefully in May.

In MD also... but i'm over on the Eastern Shore. Getting banded in Dover, DE hopefully in May.

That's awesome, my sister lives in PA and is shooting for a May banding also. If you don't mind me asking, why are you going out of state to have your surgery? How are you doing with the new information you've been receiving? I'm doing alright though I've had some cheating days and didn't lose as much as I know I could have this 2nd month but I'm doing good so far this last week, I keep telling myself it's mind over matter. lol

I decided on Dover bc it's the closest option I had. My other choices were Salisbury and they want $1500 for their nutritional plan. Baltimore was my next option and that was just too inconvenient for me to do all the appts. and traffic up there is horrible!! I have not been 100% on plan, but they really haven't given me a plan. The nutritional classes are pretty short and go over everything i've heard before at WW and other diets i've tried. I know the band isn't magic, and I have to work at it, but I'm having a hard time dieting at this point. I guess it's psychological, hopefully that mind set is changing as I look in the mirror and try on new clothes. I'm not happy the way I am and I know I need to change. Anyway where are you going for your surgery? What types of prerequisites do you have to do prior to surgery?

That's awesome, my sister lives in PA and is shooting for a May banding also. If you don't mind me asking, why are you going out of state to have your surgery? How are you doing with the new information you've been receiving? I'm doing alright though I've had some cheating days and didn't lose as much as I know I could have this 2nd month but I'm doing good so far this last week, I keep telling myself it's mind over matter. lol

Oh okay, I see. I live in Southern Maryland, Waldorf to be exact, and all of my nutritional classes and doctors appointments have been at Southern Maryland Hospital - so I'm assuming Dr. Amin will do the surgery there, I'd be surprised if he didn't. They haven't given me a personalized meal plan or anything of that sorts, but they have given me a boatload of information on choosing the right foods and trying to live healthier before and after surgery.

In order to have the surgery, and have my insurance pay for it, they require me to complete 6 months of a dieting plan, a psychiatric evaluation and have a BMI over 30 - which I'm WAY over. My cardiologist had me do an ekocardiogram and a sonogram of my galbladder; and I had to quit smoking. I don't do well dieting either and that's why I'll always refer to it as a Lifestyle Change because everyone diets and then gains it all back. But if I change my lifestyle and the way I think and eat - I can't go anywhere but down. I started at 284 and I'm down to between 269 and 272 depending on the day and time I weigh myself. The hardest thing for me is getting motivated to exercise every day! lol

Hi, my name is Ashley and I live in Lexington Park. So only about 45 min. away from you. Today I decied that I am going to start the lap band process. My insurance will cover 100% so I need to figure out where to go from here.

Hi, my name is Ashley and I live in Lexington Park. So only about 45 min. away from you. Today I decied that I am going to start the lap band process. My insurance will cover 100% so I need to figure out where to go from here.

That's great, Ashley!! My insurance is covering my procedure, July 22nd -- so excited, 100% also but they required me to do 6 months of a controlled diet and a psychiatric evaluation first. I guess the first thing to do would be to verify with them if they require anything, then you'll have to go see your Primary Care Physician and they can give you a referral of a local surgeon! I'm seeing Dr. Amin at Southern Maryland Hospital in Clinton, MD.

If you have any questions, you can email me at kimberly.pacino@yahoo.com if you'd like. GOOD LUCK, you're on your road to Healthyville!! :)

Hi, I also live in Southern Maryland. Can you tell me if there is a Baratric Pal support group in the area of Waldorf, MD.?

Hi, I also live in Southern Maryland. Can you tell me if there is a Baratric Pal support group in the area of Waldorf, MD.?

I'm not sure, but hi! I live in St. Mary's!

Hello, I am Amanda I am from St Mary's and my Dr. Is Amin. I have been trying to get reviews on him but have had no luck. Was he a good Dr. My surgery date is Dec. 15 and I just want to see how others faired with him. I like him so far but he has only been in practice for 13 years and that worried me a little but not too much. Any insight would be much appreciated.