Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stuck Feeling in my throat

Hi, guys I was banded on 03/07 and when I eat anything, I get this Stuck Feeling in my throat just underneath my chin lol (kind of feels like something is stuck in my throat but it doesn’t hurt and take hours to go down) Is this gas?? Per my nutritionist I have started low fat cheese and boiled eggs could this be it? I chew until it’s almost liquid. It’s not causing me any problems or pain just very uncomfortable.

This could just be the way it feels when you have food in your pouch. Pressure is usually caused from eating too fast or eating too much.

Wow!! I was just banded on 3/10. I am on a strict clear liquid diet for a week until my first follow up, which is this friday. Then he will progress me to "other liquids". I can't eat cheese or eggs for at least 3-5 weeks. I have to admit...I would die for a hard boiled egg right now lol!! The reason for the liquid diet at first is because your stomach and pouch is swollen from surgery. Plus they don't want the stitches that are holding the band in place to comeout. I was told by my surgeon and Dietician that my clear liquid diet included Jello. Well 2 days after surgery I tried to eat some sugar free. I chewed it until it was almost liquid before swallowing. I was in horrible pain when i swallowed it. I could feel every movement of it going down. Finally after 3 bites I had to stop and throw the rest out. I think my stomach/pouch was still swollen. I tried jello 2 days after that and had no problem. Now I eat it and am fine. The discomfort you are feeling could be gas, but could also be swelling from the surgery. I felt pressure in my chest area, especially on my left side over my heart. It seems to be subsiding. I did burp yesterday and think that is helping. Still comes and goes, but is getting better. Try slowly eating a popsicle. That helps! Good luck and hope this helps!

I think you have upgraded to food too soon. You have only been banded a week you should still be on liquids at this point. I didnt even think about upgrading until my doctor said it was okay and that was 14 days after surgery and it was soft scrambled eggs not hard boiled they are too dry. Still cant eat them a year post op. I would call your surgeon and see if you should be eating regular food because I think most are in the same boat with that one after surgery.

That's is what I was worried about.....God you guys don't think I ruined anythig do you? I called the nutritionist and she said to go back to liquids. Until we meet 3/22

I dont think you ruined anything but its not worth it to upgrade your diet until you are told to do so. I just wouldnt and you might want to start with pudding (sugarfree) or soft scrambled eggs when you can upgrade and yogurt. Hard boiled eggs are the worst even a year later.

It's unlikely you ruined anything. Just go back to liquids and soft foods like puddings, Soups, things like that. Right now you're healing, don't expect to be able to eat easily for at least another week or two.

Also - ask your Dr. if you had any fill at surgery time. Some do and some don't. Mine did a passive fill, inserted a needle with syringe - didn't plunge - just allowed the band to pull in enough Fluid to set it at equilibrium.

If you have a bit of a fill it may be even more difficult to eat solids so soon.

I dont think you ruined anything but its not worth it to upgrade your diet until you are told to do so. I just wouldnt and you might want to start with pudding (sugarfree) or soft scrambled eggs when you can upgrade and yogurt. Hard boiled eggs are the worst even a year later.

Thats just it the nutritionist called me and told me tthat "starting this week I could upgrade to low fat cheese and hard boiled eggs. "My liquid diet already included yogurt and strained creamed Soups I was doing just fine. But I'm thinking she mixed up my chart becasue when I called her today she seemed shocked and quickly to me to go back to liquids.....Now I'm getting angry

I have benn banded for almost 5 yrs., and if the food is to dry like chicken breast, or hard boiled egg, it won't go down at all...

So my surgeon said if that's the case eat the dark meat, don't eat dry stuff. So bread, Beef,and the rest I can't eat

You might be like I am,, were all different you know! So you will have to find carefully what goes down, and know what your limitations are.

I had the same feeling, although I was on full liquid only at that time, at 8 days post op my doctor took out the Fluid from the band (3cc) and put me on omeprazole every day for GERD, days later it improved. I had to sip 1 oz of fluids every hour to get my basic fluid needs. (Omeprazole is over the counter) Im surprised your nutritionist or MD hasn't told you to go back to full or Clear Liquids, check with your doctor ASAP

I see them in April, I will mention that. The only difference is I learned to watch, and dont eat anything dry. I will see what they say, Thanks.

I had GERD years ago before they took out my gallbladder. I don't suffer from GERD.

Amanda, I think you very well may be correct about the mess up in charts. Or else she was talking to you from memory and was thinking that you were further out than you actually are. I don't think you messed anything up. Just go back to broths, sugar free jello's, etc. The normal liquid diet. Hang in there girl! You'll be fine. :)

That's is what I was worried about.....God you guys don't think I ruined anythig do you? I called the nutritionist and she said to go back to liquids. Until we meet 3/22

I don't think that you ruined anything. It is going to happen at some point. Even if you are 4 weeks out, you may try new food and have this feeling. Just go back to the liquids and see what happends when you meet them on the 22nd.

Each of us are different. I didn't have alot of swelling and I was eating puree'd foods 4 days out of surgery for dinner. And on the 10th day post op I was cleared for 4 days of soft and then onto regular. It just depends on each individual and how we are healing. I was also told that if at any point that things feel uncomfortable to go back to the stage before it. So this is normal.

Good luck!!

Wendy