Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just recently banded and have not yet had my first fill. I read alot on here about slime or sliming but I am not exactly sure what is the difference between the two. Can someone help me out?

Sliming = slime. When you eat too fast/take too big of a bite of food it can get stuck which then causes you to slime. It's a really thick liquid that is like spit just much thicker.

I was just recently banded and have not yet had my first fill. I read alot on here about slime or sliming but I am not exactly sure what is the difference between the two. Can someone help me out?

This is what happens when we fail to chew are food or eat to quickly. I experieced sliming after my first fill. It was a piece of chicken, it really isn't throwing up, the food gets stuck and if your pouch can not accept the food it pushes it back up with large amounts of mucus. Sometimes after slimming your pouch may not allow you to eat for a while. It's pretty gross, I am just glad I was home when it happened and not at work or in a resturant. It freaks my husband out when it happens because it happens so quickly I have to run to the nearest trash can. Good luck, I am 4 months out and I am so glad I had this surgery. I have dropped 6 sizes, and lost 38% of my body fat. Just remember to chew your food, chicken and eggs seems to be problems for a lot of us. Good luck :rolleyes:

We used to have a really good abbreviation/acronym/initialism thread, but I can't find it now. I'll have to see if I can dig it up and sticky it again.

Slime or sliming is the body's way of trying to dislodge food that has become stuck. THink of it as your gastrointenstinal lube job. It's thick saliva that tends to be produced in copious amounts. The thickness of it was often referred to as "slime" so that became the new adjective. Sometimes it can get thick enough to be compared with egg whites. And if your body churns it for too long? It will foam/froth, like Shampoo lather or whipped egg whites. So if you see "foaming" or "frothing," that's usually what is meant.

If you haven't come across it yet...

PB "productive burp," which is a stupid term for it because it's rarely anything like burping. A lot of people call it "vomiting" which is an equally disturbing term because what we as bandsters do when food is dislodged from our stoma, and what the general public does when they vomit, are completely different both in terms of function and production - what your body is doing, and what it's producing, and the complications it might imply, etc. are completely different. If you call me post-op and say you're vomiting, what I suggest will be very different than if you say you're brining up stuck food.

This is what happens when we fail to chew are food or eat to quickly.

Or drink too soon after eating, or during the wrong time of day, or during the wrong time of month, or during body hydration changes, or during barometric changes, or... in short, any time that what we put down our gullets can't get through the rabbit hole.

Live with it long enough and you'll most likely learn that sliming only sometimes has anything to do with chewing habits or timing. :)