Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

wen our we aloud to deink softdrink im 2 and a half wks post op n would love a drink of sprite or diet coke but not sure if we allowed it

My Dr's instructions are no soft drinks or carbonated drinks. I think that means no Sprite or Diet cokes. Sorry. Soon you won't even miss it.

Some people continue to drink sodas, diet or not, but my surgeon strictly told me to stay away from them. Nothing good comes from drinking them, diet sodas are just as bad as normal sodas, and they may irritate your pouch.

After 4 weeks my surgeon had no restriction on carbonated beverages. He did say that some people get a lot of gain and pain, some don't...so just do what your body requires.

Personally, even the diet sodas are high in sodium and they aren't designed to quench your thirst...just the opposite. They're designed to make you crave even more. I finally ditched all the SF drinks and went to unsweetened tea or coffee or Water. Oh, occasionally I'll have a SF drink but I make sure it's a rare occasion. I really helped in controlling the cravings.

Most doctors say no carbonation. If they are right and it can not only cause pain but damage to your stomach why take the chance?

I TRIED A SOFT DRINK I AM TELLING YOU YOU WONT WANT TO DO IT IT IS VERY UNCOMFORTABLE ITS BETTER TO LEARN TO LIVE WITHOUT THE SODA drinks. I HAVE

I TRIED A SOFT DRINK I AM TELLING YOU YOU WONT WANT TO DO IT IT IS VERY UNCOMFORTABLE ITS BETTER TO LEARN TO LIVE WITHOUT THE SODA drinks. I HAVE

I'm right there with you on this one. I gave up softdrinks years ago, but recently made the mistake of buying flavored "sparkling" Water instead of just flav. Water. A couple drinks with carbonation and I did not like the feeling one bit.

Soda has been one of the hardest things for me to give up but I've done it...haven't had one since the day before my pre-op diet started. My doctor says the carbonation is really not good for the pouch. In the end it is probably a good thing for me as I was well and fully addicted.

My dr. said no carbonation. I'm a Mt. Dew addict and have given it up for almost two months now (I'm not banded yet). I am trying to get it out of my system because the doctor said it can make you really uncomfortable by trapping gas/air in your stomach and can cause you to bloat. It's not worth it to me.

My doctor told me not to drink them either, but recently I had some. It tasted so good, but I know I have to stop. I'm not sure of the reasoning, but they don't hurt me when I drink them.

What does your doctor say? Mine says no carbonated drinks ever again.

My dr is off the no carbonation mid set as well. I really fought him on it... since diet coke and I once had a very special relationship!!!!B)

He explained it to me like this.... when you drink carbonated beverages it brings air into the stomach so it expands. Then the air releases. Drink some more and air goes in and releases... doing that over and over again could cause the band to slip. If it slips... he has to fix it which will cost me money.

Its isnt worth it to me to tempt fate.

For the first few weeks there wasnt a day that went by that I didnt think about having a Diet coke. About the 6th week my hubby opened a can, poured it into glass and set it in the fridge to go flat. Once flat...about 4-5 hours I poured it over ice and sat down to enjoy..... OMG flat diet coke is just about the worst thing ever. LOL

So now I pine for a DC about once a week.... but then I drink my Water and move on.

i tried pouring it in a glass and swriling it around to get the carbination out with just little amount of carbonation still it felt bad