Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Abdominal Muscles and the Port

I've finally started exercising a bit after about 6 months. I've been doing Zumba twice a week for about a month, then added belly dancing once a week about three weeks ago and on Friday, went to my first yoga class.

Well, the yoga on Friday followed by Zumba on Saturday kicked my abs butt. I am super sore, and have some twingy pain around my port. The problem with Zumba is that with all of the jumping around, my belly moves in sometimes painful ways (I need to wear a compression shirt under my t-shirt to do it to hold everything tight). So with all of the ab work I did in Yoga, followed by the belly jostling with Zumba, I'm feeling it two days later.

I guess I'm anxious about doing something bad to my port. It feels fine (meaning normal) when I press on it. I skipped Zumba yesterday and just went on a walk instead, but now I'm wondering about my belly dancing class tonight since it obviously is all ab work.

Is this something I should be worried about or am I being a bit of a freak?

Naaah you're fine. I do crazy ab workouts (350+ ab moves in 18 mins), I roll all over the floor (LOL), my dog has jumped up on me near my port, my nephew has play punched me near it, I've ran into kitchen counters...

As long as it's sewn in well I think you'll be fine!

I had done some crunches at the gym with weights and it was a lot of strain and I felt a pop. When I went for my last fill I told the NP that I hope I didn't mess anything up and I had been scared to do anymore ab work. She said I can't mess it up and that the port probably hit my ribs and that happens a lot.

Also I have a 5 year old son who has a port, its up higher and for chemo and has had it for over 3 years. He has a twin brother and you can only imagine what these two have gotten into. Lots of fights and falls, they are typical rambunctious boys and he has had many direct hits to the port. His oncologist says it can take a lot and so far it has.

Thank you both so much!

I had some soreness for a couple days after doing some abdominal, which actually surprised me. I try to stay away from doing much with my abdominals, because I'm paranoid about messing up my port.

Nothing you described SHOULD create a problem. But, there HAVE been some cases of ports becoming dislodged, in a variety of situations. It depends a great deal on where the port was placed, and the experience/skill of the surgeon.

I don't think one has to be too terribly protective of the port area after a few months have passed post-surgery. But it is important to be aware of the port and not cause any unneeded trauma to the area.

Yoga is terrific, for the body AND the mind. Particularly Bikram.......

S.

I was really concerned about strenuous exercise and my port too. My doc said there was nothing I could do exercise wise to disturb it...

Brad