Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All, I have my surgery date of May 6th. So far, it has been pretty easy as far as the surgeon and the insurance company, But I realize that I am terrified. I know everything will be OK, but I have an unusual reaction to any type of medical procedure. I CRY like a baby!!!

When I had two angioplasies with stents put in my heart, I cried all during the pre-op part where you lay around waiting to be wheeled into the OR. Also, when I had two cataract surgeries, I cried also. When I had my colonoscopy and endoscopy, I cried during the part where they put the iv in and waiting around to be wheeled into the room. I am afraid of crying like a baby during this surgery. To me the worst part is waiting to be called into surgery. No matter how nice and professional the staff are, I still get terrified during the 'waiting around' part. During the cardiac thing, I used up an entire box of tissues from crying and blowing my nose, The nursing staff avoided me and acted like I was some sort of freak for being upset. Do rational people just calmly enter into operating rooms without being terrified? I know it is normal to be afraid, but is there any way I can avoid the crying part so I dont embarrass myself??? I know the surgery part is the easiest part of this, it's the pre-op that gets me everytime, I can't stand the waiting around and answering 1000 questions by all levels of staff. HELP ,,,how can I avoid being a total basket case????:o

ABSOLUTELY. don't for a second feel like you're weird for this...talk to your surgeon and explain it, and ask to have some sedation given while you wait. There's things they can give you either to take by mouth before you head in, or once you are there and they start the IV they can give you some medication (I'd recommend this to be honest if not both)...I bet they'll be happy to accomodate!!!

I'm a nurse and many of my patients get super anxious about getting epidurals placed during labor. I don't even hesitate to give them a dose of medication IV before hand to make them feel more at ease/calmed.

And I have great feelings about your surgery...it's on my birthday!!!:D

Thanks Marcyloo for the quick reply. It helps. I find it difficult to ask for help with this, but I feel that if I tell the surgeon about it, he will forget by the time surgery rolls around. But I will try. The other times when I mentioned how upset and scared I was, I thought maybe the nurses would tell the doctor, but no one responed. I will try to be more assertive next time. Have a great birthday, I am a Taurus too!

PS GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SURGERY!! KEEP ME POSTED ON YOUR PROGRESS.

Erin K.

Edited by erink58

Do you have any medication at home that would calm your nerves? I was on medication, and my surgeon said regardless you take it before you come in ! Don't worry about it.

You might want to explain your situation to the surgeon, and maybe he will prescribe something to take the edge of for you, and make you comfterable.

But don't do anything without talking to your Surgeon.

I'm a crier as well. Last time I had surgery I cried while being wheeled into the operating room. I don't see it as anything to be stressed over, everyone's allowed to be scared, aren't they?!?! Regardless, good luck with everything!!

I'm not a crier but I get super stressed. Some people talk about getting a sedative presurgery. I got one but not until I sat in preop for 3 HOURS. There was a problem in the surgery before me. They would'nt give me a sedative until I spoke with the doctor. I could'nt talk to the doctor because he was in surgery.

I know if I tell you it's not that big of a deal,,, you would probably think I was crazy ! So,,, no sense going there.

So let's try this for a suggestion.

The next time you see your surgeon, tell him/her of the situation, and ask if you can get something ahead of time.

They might give you something for this.

I'm sure your not alone, so don't feel that way at all.

They have stuff to take the edge off the thought of surgery.