Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone in the N. Carolina area

Please send me your experiences with the lap band surgery. I am going though a long process trying to get the surgery. It is discouraging. I have been getting a lot of negative feedback as of late and need to know that this surgery is truly worth it or should I continue trying the weight watchers and Jenny Craig regimes that I haven't succeeded is as of yet. This is so important for me and I want to know that I can be a success.

Anyone work with Dr. Enochs in the Raleigh area? Please relay your experience?

vericks

vericks , is it the operation itself you are worryed about if so don't, i have had various things done including lypo and believe me its alot less painful. as far as weight loss surgery i think this is the future and YES it works. i had my band put in from a doctor in belguim and he has been doing lapband surgery for ten years . it is so new to the u.s.a. but its been going on in europe for alot longer. i think it is the newness of it that worrys people and i exspect like me you get alot of people say lapband what is that ?? i think as time goes by here in the states its going take over the bypass. whats your b.m.i and how far have you looked into the lapband

There are lots of members here from the Tar Heel state, especially the Charlotte area. I'm sorta from there, I have a summer home in Nags Head, does that count?

Welcome.

Thank you for answering. Could you explain what the fills and unfills are? How do you determine when to adjust? What symptoms have you had? What do you consider, if any, is the biggest thing to deal with after surgery? Have you gotten much nausea? Do you throw up much? What are some of the things I can do to best prepare myself for the surgery and after?

Sorry for all the questions, but I would appreciate information from someone who is going through it!

Thanks

Vickie

Fill is where the Dr puts saline into your band to make it smaller making your fill up faster when eating and stay full longer. An unfill is just that..the Dr taking some of the saline out because you are too tight. Everyone is so different one person can handle lets a 2.0cc fill while another has a horrible time with it. You know your too tight when you can't get anything down but liquid. Not good..you should be able to eat. For me Dr. V and I talk about whether or not I think I need a fill. He gives me signs to look for and ask what I am eating and how long it's keeping me full. I haven't really had to deal with anything - it's life as normal for me. Well eatting less and eating better. Making better choices and feeling GREAT. I don't "Throw Up" with the band it's more like a PB (productive burp) meaning the food you just tried eat doesn't settle and it comes back up. So you aren't throwing up because it hasn't actually reached your stomach. To prepare - Have alot of protien items in your house...good liquid protien start testing before surgery so you will know what you like. The liquid diet was probably the worest but was very easy to get through.

I think I have answered most of your questions...I will be the first to say though that everyone is different and your experience may be completely different then mine.

I wish you the best of luck...and read up..there is so much to know aout the band. You have to work with it to make is successfull for you. You can't sit and eat pizza and french fries all the time and expect to loose the weight...don't get me wrong that would be nice.haha Anyway I love my band and I would put up a big fight if someone wanted to take it from me.

*waves hello to the tar heels*

Both of my kids were born in Goldsboro.. east of Raliegh. Their dad's side of the family is in "North Cakalakie". I've been all over the state, really liked Charlotte! LOVED Ashville.

I am in Raleigh, where are you? Did you use your insurance or self-pay. I have BCBS and I heard that it is almost impossible to be covered? I am in the process to get all of my appointments completed.

Hey Ladies....check out NC thread under USA - there are alot of us on there chatting away. We start a chat forum each month so jump on in...the more the merrier.

Welcome...hope all is well.

Eileen - good luck on your surgery. It's so easy and SO worth it.

Hi,

I live in Cary. I have UHC healthcare. When I first started this process they said I was covered, but now I hear that insurances say one thing, but once the paper work is submitted things can change. I have just completed my appointments and have my records in. I am now ready to sumit the forms to the insurance. We will see how that goes. Who is your doctor? My doctor is Dr. Enochs in Wake Forest. I really like him so far.

Maybe we will be going through things about the same time. It would be nice to compare notes. Thanks for e-mailing.

vickie

Thanks to each of you that have replied to my questions and now I know abut an official NC site. I just completed the appointments and exams, now they say I am ready to send the file on to the insurance company. I sure hope the insurance doesn't hold me up. This has been a long time coming.

Thanks Again

Vericks with 120 pounds to lose

Hi Eileen,

I know the feeling, I've just finished the appointment, tests, and exam stage. Now the papers are ready to be sent on to the insurance. Sounds like you succeeded in those areas. I too am nervous but this site and my doctor have been very helpful in building my confidence. I try to avoid reading too many of the comments that increase my fear, especially with the surgery, but I do want to be realistic and know what could happen.

One comforting thing is that in almost all cases of any kind of surgery these risks are a possibility. The weight has and is affecting my health and lifestyle. I am hoping this will give me a better chance at living healthy and happy, otherwise I am headed for some potential major health issues.

Keep in touch and rely on those that are more experienced. I wish you the best and in many ways I'm envious that you will soon to be banded.

Take Care

Vericks

hi vericks thanks for support I'm from randleman about 50mins from you.my dr.is Bauman in concord n.c. and my lapband surgery is feb.23 my weight is 216.I HAVE A QUSTION? After surgery when you are on liquid do you feel full or are you :hungry: .Have more qustions but no more time talk later EILEEN:)

Eileen - how far from Charlotte are you? We are meeting on the 18th in Charlotte and there are several of Dr. B's patients that will be there. You can look under the NC forum for a thread Feb 18....it's going to be fun.