Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need encouragement

I have been trying to get a surgical date for almost a year now. I was getting little progress from my first surgeon so I switched to another that was recommended. My insurance says they will approve the surgery. I have taken all the preop tests and exams. I just can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone.

I also was told by a physician that the bariatric surgeon I am working with was having problems getting hospitals to work with him due to paper work issues, not his qualifications as a surgeon. I was also told that in the Raleigh Durham area that the hospitals are trying to stop bariatric surgery from being performed in the area? Is that true?

I also have two friends who had the rouxen-y surgery and now 4 to 5 years later they are both fighting weight gain.

I have opted to have lap-band. I would like to hear from some people who have had positive outcome and their challenges.

I have a great desire to get this done and get on with my life, but it seems like there is a block in each path I turn. My insurance says they will cover the procedure, so what's the problem?

My standard answer back from the doctor's office is that the office is in chaos over the change of the way they process insurance. It seems that they have had surgery dates set up and the patient shows up on that date only to find the surgery has been cancelled because the proper paper work was not processed to the hospital.

What can I do? I am a patient person, but it seems I have had my patience stretched.

Does anyone know if their are problems between the bariatric surgeons and the hospitals in the Raleigh Durham area of North Carolina? What can we do about it?

Thank you

vericks

Vericks, just a quick word of encouragement...It's been a long time coming to this point in your life. Patience (I know...) If this Dr can't get his head out of his...uh...well....find another doctor. If need be, go to a different city (my wife's dr is a two hour drive away). It will come. Getting the insurance company to agree to it is the biggest part and you've already got that, so....

In the words of Bobby McFerrin... DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY!

Sounds to me like you need to start over with a different office/surgeon. I'm not from your area, but there should be at least several surgeons within driving distance. I'll have to drive 3 hours, but I consider it an investment. I don't think I'd buy the "changing the way we process insurance" thing...how professional is it to have a changeover inconveniencing patients like that??

Randy is right, getting the insurance approval is what's usually the worst part. Hopefully someone from your area will respond with some physician names for you to contact. Or you could try ObesityHelp.com...they have a list of certified surgeons by area. Good luck, and don't give up!!

Emily

When I get delayed for some reason, I try to think that God needed me to arrive at my destination later for a reason only known to Him. It helps. I have had many Dr. change insurance procedures and even one Dr. changed from paper files to all electronic ones. The office had to scan every document and transcribe every note electronically. They even e-mail prescriptions. I didn't have any delays and was shocked at the way the Dr. kept all records electronically now its so convenient for her to check history with the search button! That office your dealing with needs a better office supervisor. Have you spoken with the Dr. about this? What does he say about all the problems? I don't think there should be this much confusion either. I agree with gentlespirit.

If you (or anyone) does want to investigate other surgeons in their area, there are two basic ways to approach it......

1) contact your insurance company for THEIR list of lapband bariatric surgeons included under your plan

2) or if you are self-pay, just use this database - http://www.asbs.org/html/about/membersearch2.html Put in your zip code and select LB from the dropdown menu. The results are in order of distance from the geographic center of your zip code. "FOLL" being listed means that the doctor will accept patient transfers when you've already had your surgery done elsewhere.