Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh the Horror!

Well I am a normally anxious person anyway...especially when it comes to health issues. So I knew that I would find some horror stories and issues that come from the banding. So how do you all deal with them. Do you think they come up more than the percentage I was told?

I have had my surgery (8 days ago) and have done well so far and am pleased. But its hard to read about things like band slippage, more surgeries, band failure, not knowing how long the band will last in a body, and not worry. I have even heard horror stories about fills.

I focus on the positives which of course thereseems to be more of...but man sometimes its hard!:unsure:

It's good to be informed of what can happen, but please stay positive. Try not to get too mired in others' horrific experiences. Every experience and body is different. I debated watching the surgery video before my surgery and thought better of it. I'm glad I didn't watch it; I totally would have backed out
:)
It's like when you're pregnant and every person wants to tell you about how hard and terrible their labor was. You almost want to say, "WTF, hush up. You think I want to hear that??" Be informed about the complications, but keep an editorial eye out for what you read.

Cheers,

Carrie

I heard lots more horror stories about the rouxen-Y surgery, but what tipped the scale for me in favor of the band was actual people and their experiences. Throughout my travels, I just didn't meet anyone with a genuine SERIOUS surgical problem. I'm not talking about bad food stories, I'm talking band slippage and such. Yeah, there's a lot tales out there, but keep it in proportion to the millions who have gotten the band over time.

Ever play the telephone game and the story at the beginning turns out vastly different at the end? Maybe some of these tales have been "embellished" and retold multiple times to make it look worse than it is. I'm not saying it can't happen, but technically, we can get struck by lightning, contract the bubonic plague and lose an eye with a BB gun too. Stay positive.

People are just vocal about the bad experiences, not so much the good ones.

If you have a good, qualified surgeon you should be fine, and if you are fine now, you will probably stay that way! :). Also a lot of people have other things wrong with them, or the surgeons find other things when they do the surgery.

I want to hear all the stuff that could happen. This is something I'm voluntarily doing to myself. To turn a blind eye to the bad would be irresponsible I believe. Just like giving birth I wanted to know what could happen so I would know what to look for and be prepared. If I have this surgery and my band slips or erodes I want to know that I knew the possibility ahead of time and have prepared myself for that and not have it be a complete surprise if it happens. I never want to be in the situation of something bad happening to me and saying, "But no one ever told me this could happen." And it helps too that even when the bad things happen there is usually a solution. This thing can be removed.

But so far in my journey I have heard more positive things than negative. Just like childbirth there are horror stories but I had 5 perfectly successful births so I know that all the bad things don't happen to everyone. And yes, people do tend to be more vocal about bad things than good. I can imagine that for every poster here with a bad experience there are hundreds that never post and are happily losing away with their perfectly functional bands.

So I listen to the bad stuff for educational purposes but I don't dwell on it.

I'm like Rainy, I want to hear about it all. I think if I know what's going on, chances are it can be taken care of promptly than to not know and alot of time go by before the problem is found out then it might be too late. With the list of my medical problems, I'll take the bad with the band over what I have going on anyday. I'm one of those that has high hopes that the band will not only help me look better but help improve some of my health problems. I am also glad to hear everyone remind us that the bad is probably bad but could be worse..but the good is oh so good and will only get better :D

Well I am a normally anxious person anyway...especially when it comes to health issues. So I knew that I would find some horror stories and issues that come from the banding. So how do you all deal with them. Do you think they come up more than the percentage I was told?

I have had my surgery (8 days ago) and have done well so far and am pleased. But its hard to read about things like band slippage, more surgeries, band failure, not knowing how long the band will last in a body, and not worry. I have even heard horror stories about fills.

I focus on the positives which of course thereseems to be more of...but man sometimes its hard!:unsure:

Heres how I see it....Im 26 years old. Lets just say I remember stuff from being 6 years old and on. That gives me 20 years of memories. In 20 years thats 7300 days....I dont remember or talk about every single one of those days. But I do remember the day I broke my arm. I remmber the day I lost my best friend, I remmber the day I busted my ass on the diving board. Its a well known fact that its way easier to remember the bad stuff. So is true with the news. You will always hear about the earthquakes, and fires, murders, and unemployment. And you will here a few stories about the good. And the stories about the bad will always stick with you it easier to remember the bad. The worse it is the easier it is to remmber the bad. So in a round about way what im trying to say is you will always hear the bad, but there is always good behind you. What you really need to do is tune everything about expect what your doctor and their staff tells you. And if you are worried about what they are saying get a second opinion....dont let someone elses ignorance hurt you mentally or physically.

Thanks for all the replies!!! I honestly am happy with what I have done and look forward to a healthier lifestyle. I did do research before surgery to decide what was best for me. I even debated between the bi-pass and the band....and obviously decided on the band (my dad had bi-pass). I figure if I do what I am supposed to and take care of myself I should be fine. But Nervous Nelly always likes to get her say :rolleyes:

I'm one of those people who have had to have multiple surgeries. I don't blame the band, I blame my surgeon. Even with the issues I have had (port infection, 2 additional surgeries, several emergency unfills due to suddenly being to tight, etc), this has been the best desicion. I had a friend have bypass, and had an issue with it which put her in a coma for two weeks. Even after all that, she only lost 45lbs before gaining some, and ended up having a band put over her bypass.