Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I thought I was an emotional eater but now I don't know. I've heard so many on here say they think they have a bottomless pit for a stomach and I kinda feel that way too. I've heard people on here say that if you are an emotional eater, the band may not work for you. That has me thinking, should I even bother? It's also making me question,,am I an emotional eater..really..or am I just fat person with a big appetite...or maybe I'm both? I'm trying to find reasons to not be an emotional eater so that I can be happy with my decision to get the band. Does anyone have any views on this? I am a big over thinker, I really analyze things (I just realized the word "anal" is in that word) B)

Hi! I just registered to this site...I have so many questions and concerns. I am considering lapband, but I am so afraid I will gain the weight back. I am a constant eater...not necessarily an emotional eater, and I'm certainly not hungry most of the time. It has become my favorite hobby, pasttime, and entertainment. What will I do if I have the surgery, and I can't have my food? I mean, I know I will be able to eat but not a lot and not the stuff I want to eat.

I, too, am an overthinker! I like your discovery of 'anal' being in the word 'analyze.' Good one.

Sorry, I'm not helping you...just commenting that I feel the same.

I thought I was an emotional eater but now I don't know. I've heard so many on here say they think they have a bottomless pit for a stomach and I kinda feel that way too. I've heard people on here say that if you are an emotional eater, the band may not work for you. That has me thinking, should I even bother? It's also making me question,,am I an emotional eater..really..or am I just fat person with a big appetite...or maybe I'm both? I'm trying to find reasons to not be an emotional eater so that I can be happy with my decision to get the band. Does anyone have any views on this? I am a big over thinker, I really analyze things (I just realized the word "anal" is in that word) B)

I'm not sure if it makes a difference whether someone is an emotional eater or eats just because they love food...if the driving force to eat is not hunger, then the band may not help. Then again it might.

Some people do get physical restriction to the point where they literally couldn't take another bite. Based on the posts, though, it appears that a lot more of us don't. :blink:

Great observations....what you must consider also is the fact we DO change and our entire food/self relationship changes. I was as much a worrier about this entire "now what" if 'eating' were taken away.....what in fact happened, was (mostly) OVER eating was altered and the introduction of being concerned about other aspects of living, become more important. Without realizing it, I was moved from the 'living to eat' dysfunctional philosophy, to a most welcomed 'eating to live' behavior. Big difference. Along with changes in my eating behavior, I lost the ever increasing decade-long panic/anxiety attack cluster of symptoms. In fact, I was totally unprepared for the *concept* that 'becoming hungry' could be a pleasant experience in itself. The trouble with 'always eating' is we are never aware of the gentle pleasures of ENJOYMENT of the act of becoming satiated. It is a different experience than merely stuffing myself with my eating shovel as rapidly as possible while trying to anticipate what my next meal might be. cheers in your journey

Years ago I was putting together a piece of exercise equipment (my "I'm turning 30 diet") and I was having a lot a trouble and got super frustrated. Suddenly this though popped into my head "I want to go eat potato chips!" What? Where did that come from. I new at that moment I was an emotional eater.

Now that I have restriction I do get help stopping eating at the approved amount of food. Sometimes I get full while eating, others I feel full a few minutes after I stop. Having a full feeling helps me to ignore food triggers. Like being at costco and not stopping by the food court for a frozen yoghurt. It also helps with Head Hunger (when you are not physically hungry but are board, sad, lonely). When I feel the urge to eat something I ask myself are you seriously hungry enough to eat something? Usually the answer is no.

great discovery! A _LOT_ of my own overeating was "sport eating' not justified by any real physiological hunger....boredom, anger, anxiety, etc.....and of course, food does NOT satisfy those kinds of feelings. I learned that 'getting busy' doing something --like cleaning out my wardrobe, boxing up my old fat clothes to send back to Omar the Tent Maker, etc, going for a walk or any number of easy physical activities along with a glass of Water, put me back on the path to losing some of those old stored cheeseburgers around my hips. Action and activity solves a lot of those vague notions that chips will solve whatever emotion is lurking there.

I definitely think I'm an emotional eater, a binge eater (I don't make myself throw up) but I do overwhelm myself with loads of guilt. I also just love love love food and it is a friend to me for whatever reason. I guess because I can count on it. Maybe it's for life's disappointments, tragedies, mid-life..who knows? Each of you make very good points and will help me ponder WHY am I eating? I have a journal that I was writing in but I never have taken the time or even thought to write about my relationship with food. It's so odd to think that I have a relationship with something like food..for crying out loud! Why can't I be in love with an eliptical machine or treadmill?lol I was a little bummed that I may have to go through a 6 month pre op diet (I will find out on the 10th what will be expected of me) but maybe I need a little extra time to get these thoughts sorted and get on track about my future with food. Thanks, everyone!

Because of this site, I'm learning so much and I've even become a little more patient.

If you are worried go see a therapist before you invest in the surgery. See what your realtionship with food really is. I am an emotional eater and have struggle some, but it has worked for me. Down 84 lbs. But I am a big believer in therapy.

Cheri

I too am an emotional eater...especially when I am stressed which is 50% of my work life! I knew this before being banded and started mentally preparing for the what ifs.... Like Jack, I am teaching myself to do other things when I want that chocolate fix or at the end of a long day I want high calorie comfort foods. At work I am fortunate enough to be able to get up and do other things. Instead of taking the elevator, I take the stairs and walk the long way around to my destination, I take my Water add cyrstal light or some other flavoring (low cal of course) and drink when my taste buds are demanding snesation and taste. At the end of my day I try to review the things that I did right, things that I should improve upon, and things that I did not do so well with and then start the next day renewed and bouyed by the things that I did right and ready to implement different strategies to avoid the temptation of food. So far for me, it has enabled me to be aware and focus on when I want to reach for the stuff that I don't need and I don't feel deprived or depraved of the things that I used to get satisfaction from because I am finding different ways to obtain satisfaction.

Cheri brings an excellent point about food counselors/therapists, they can assist you in finding your relationship and demons with food. I say do or try different things and find what works best for you. Good Luck and much success in your decisions!

Thanks, everyone.

Cheri, I agree and I am currently in therapy for various reasons so it's encouraging to hear that it helped you. Congrats on your awesome success! I will also be seeing a psychiatrist on the 10th, the day of my consult. She/he will be doing my pre surgery eval, hopefully they can give some insight along with the nutritionist to help with my eating habits..eating just because it's so good.

The above advice is great. I would just like to add one thing that I have noticed about my lap band journey. Everyone is different so this might not apply to all but I have found that at this point it is very hard for me to eat mindlessly. I think this was one of my big problems before. I used food to help me zone out. With the lap band I have to remember to very little bites, very slowly. If I eat big bites with out thinking I get stuck which hurts. It has been amazing tool to help me stop this type of eating.

Zandile, that is so good to hear! I can't wait now. I think that is the exact thing I need to help me quit eating..as you put it..mindlessly. I never think before I eat anymore. When I did weight watchers, Atkins or any other diet, I had to constantly remind myself as I was eating that I couldn't have certain foods or so much of it. And when I ended up eating it anyway to comfort me, I would feel guilty. But guilt is eventually repressed. If I would've had actual pain from eating that cupcake, I would've either thought long and hard on it or not given it a thought. The "tool" is starting to make much more sense to me. Thank you!