Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting banded on March31st, so excited... But I have a ??

I cant wait to get my surgery done.. Im so done with my crappy health. But question... After surgery, is it way hard to only eat Soup and liquids since you dont get your first fill for a couple weeks? Im really nervous of getting way hungry... Thanks :D

Hi. Congrats on being banded soon! I am 8 days post op and was on Clear Liquids until today. Its not that hard. Honestly i had a huge appitite before. But not really been hungry since surgery i had day 5 where i got hungry for aboutt hour after that passed ive only ben hungry a little. But i found tomatoe juice gets me past it. I get the healthy request tomaroe Soup and its yumm. Only 1/4 cup and im fine. Make sure you drink all your fluids. I found old orchard apple juice was the best they have healthy smart that is low calorie. Ive lost 11 lbs so far. But a bit of advice...buy some mylicon in baby isle. You will need it. Gas build ups hurt and its hard to burp. So even a baby dose of that stuff gets it out! Good luck were pretty close in days so anytime u need experience answers ket me know!

I just had my surgery on Feb 28th, this past monday and I had the same concern. I will tell you that after surgery you aren't in the mood to eat. Today I am 4 days out and I can tell I am healing fast. My doctor only required me to be on liquids the day of surgery and then move to a puree diet. I have been able to eat ham salad, egg salad, yogurt, Soup, etc. The amazing thing is that after 1/2 cup to a cup you are full and satisfied. You still have yourold head playing tricks on you and wanting you to eat more so I suggest you measure your food and keep it at a 1/2 cup total at a sitting or it will not be comfortable!! So far I have been able to stay satisfied and not feel hungrey all the time. You have to make smart choices and it is hard in the puree stage because you can't eat a normal healthy diet.

It is wonderful I must say and congrats on your up coming banding!! Time to start feeling good again!

Not gonna lie, it's not fun, but for the first 4 or 5 days, you feel really crappy, and you don't wanna eat anyways. For me, something from sugery made me lose my sense of taste for a couple days haha.

You will only be on liquids for 1 week or two weeks depending on your doctor, then you go in to pureed and mushy food.

It's only 2 weeks you will live!! Not to mention you lose a lot of weight on liquids it's a good jumpstart.

Yeah I agree with her - it's not so fun. You will be hungry most likely, a couple of the days I was really in physical pain from the hunger. But that too shall pass, and you will probably lose a good amount of weight those weeks!

Not gonna lie, it's not fun, but for the first 4 or 5 days, you feel really crappy, and you don't wanna eat anyways. For me, something from sugery made me lose my sense of taste for a couple days haha.

You will only be on liquids for 1 week or two weeks depending on your doctor, then you go in to pureed and mushy food.

It's only 2 weeks you will live!! Not to mention you lose a lot of weight on liquids it's a good jumpstart.

I had my surgery in Oct. The first few days I wasnt hungry at all...as a matter of fact it was really hard for me to get even my Protein Drinks down. At about day 5 all the soreness of the surgery went down and i started getting an appitite, and i stuck to cottage cheese, fat free refried Beans, greek yogurt, sf popsicles, etc. it really wasnt hard...ur not that hungry because your stomach is swollen...its when the swelling goes down that you appitite comes back. At about week two I felt the same as I did prior to surgery and it was really hard to be disciplined until my fill. As time goes on it gets easier because you have learned how to eat and your habits change. I have now had my 3rd fill and literally have to make myself eat... I never eat more than a few bites before being full. Good luck. I love my band and feel like it was the best decision I have ever made :)

My problem wasn't being hungry after surgery... it was the week before surgery. I was only allowed "clear" liquids for 8 days before my surgery.... to me............ that was hardest part (Xmas was right in the middle of that!!!). Once I had the surgery... I was gratefully relieved that I WASN'T hungry. It's been over 2 months since my surgery... and really only started feeling hungry a couple of weeks ago. I'm still waiting for my first fill.... which, I am hoping is soon. I'm sure you'll do fine.... just keep focused on how well you're going to do and how GREAT you're going to feel and look!! rolleyes.gif

Thank you all so much! You've helped alot. I start my pre-op on the March 17th (The day before I go to Vegas, I might add dry.gif) Haha but I cant wait. I am pretty strong mental wise so I think I can beat the hunger. And all your food ideas are going to help also. Thanks, muah!

i had my surgery march 2nd...i was on a 2 week pre-op liquid diet. I am not really hungry...i sip about 1/2 cup of Soup and feel full and not in need of anything else...my dr. has me on Clear Liquids for 10days after the surgery, which i think is horrible, but i made it this far...gotta keep it up. I think it is all in the will power and the mind set u put youself in,,,Good Luck!!