Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having some serious second thoughts

Did you say you were having your band removed? If so, just curious, would your insurance covers a removal if it was causing you pain, etc?

Yes, I am having my band removed. Not because it wasn't working but because I was one of the those who had phrenic nerve pain that was getting to the point where it was affecting the rest of my life and health.

Yes, my insurance covers it and the surgeon didn't need preapproval like they did for the original surgery because this is considered a complication from the band and it's been documented in my records.

I'm not sure where everyone is getting that the Realize band is triangular. My surgeon has a model of the stomach with the realize band placed on it and it's not triangular at all. At one time the Realize band was chosen over the Lap because it had a lower profile port. It's my understanding that the Lap has improved their band so it also has a low profile port now.

In studies, the Lap band and Realize band are comparable as far as how well they work.

As mentioned above, the band is a MECHANICAL helper. (If that makes it a tool, then so be it. :)) I have tons of willpower. I can diet with the best of them, and lose like crazy. But as soon as something in my life changes, and I'm unable to continue that process, the weight comes flooding back. It's happened to me lots of times. I got tired of the roller coaster, and decided I needed some assistance. I'm not planning to ever go back to the way it was before.

Now that I'm banded, things are different. I am not able to "forget" about what I'm eating. Willpower has little to do with it. I make the conscious choice of what I'm eating, and as long as I pay attention, the band limits the general amount of whatever that meal is.

Real world experience: Last night I was starving after a hectic day where I was unable to eat on schedule. I'd gone about nine hours since a modest lunch, and I was ravenous. I was out of town with a friend, and we dropped into a Thai restaurant recommended by another friend. The food smelled awesome. I ordered a chicken and vegetable dish, and waited like an impatient kid till my meal arrived.

It looked amazing. The presentation was perfect, it smelled amazing, portion was enormous, and I couldn't wait to wolf it down. I deliberately took my time, because I wanted it to last. I even used chopsticks, to slow down my eating. The first bite was wonderful. I savored the taste as I chewed the chicken to the right consistency. Each bite was better than the one before. I was so hungry, it was a fantastic meal.

After several bites of chicken and several more of vegetables and a bite or two of brown rice, my ravenous appetite just clicked off. I was suddenly and completely full, and satisfied with what I'd eaten. I couldn't believe it. I was mentally prepared to eat the whole plate, but my band said, "Um, nope. We're done here." When I looked over at the dish I was serving myself from, it had about 90% of the meal left on it. I asked to have it boxed up, and now I have a ton of leftovers. It was one of the first times I've eaten Asian food and not been hungry a short time later.

The lesson I learned is that it's not always about the hunger. It's about the process. My band helps keep me on track, even when I want to do something else. I like having that sort of helper.

Dave

Well said, Thanks.

I'm not sure where everyone is getting that the Realize band is triangular. My surgeon has a model of the stomach with the realize band placed on it and it's not triangular at all.

That makes sense. Once it's placed, the shape would be more circular. The one I saw was a "Please pass this around so everyone can check it out" sample they showed at a pre-op seminar I attended. They passed around both types, and that triangular shape of the band portion was the only real obvious difference between the two. I have no idea how old the samples were, or whether they were different than what is being used now.

Dave

Cindy,

You are SO right! I'm the same way. I CAN lose weight without the band. I've done it... 60 lbs, 70 lbs, Adkins, Nutri-System... Sure I can do it. Can I keep it up forever? NO. That is what I hope the band does for me. I just need a little bit of help... a little leash, as you put it. My surgery is mid-April and I'm losing weight the 'Normal' way now. Down 30 pounds. The difference is that I hope the band helps me to FINALLY keep it off.

Thanks for your comment and wish me luck!

Cindy,

You are SO right! I'm the same way. I CAN lose weight without the band. I've done it... 60 lbs, 70 lbs, Adkins, Nutri-System... Sure I can do it. Can I keep it up forever? NO. That is what I hope the band does for me. I just need a little bit of help... a little leash, as you put it. My surgery is mid-April and I'm losing weight the 'Normal' way now. Down 30 pounds. The difference is that I hope the band helps me to FINALLY keep it off.

Thanks for your comment and wish me luck!

Good luck, Carol! You'll find the whole process much easier when the band is in place. It's just the extra help you (and I need)!

Cindy