Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need help with preop diet? I have an appetite!

Did anyone eat anything other than liquids on the liquid diet? and what were results??

Did anyone eat anything other than liquids on the liquid diet? and what were results??

I am on the pre-op diet my surgery is 3\8\11, The doctor gave me Optifast , the cost was 225.00 for two weeks supply. The problem is that when i read the label it has 20gms of carbs per box and i have to drink 5 boxes each day. I know my body, i have PCOS and i will not lose any weight taking in100gm of carbs daily. So i am drinking the crystal lite, diet Jello and Muscle milk (Lactose free). I am scheduled to weigh the day before surgery and i am expected to lose 14lbs. So far i have lost 9lbs. I am very hungry but i try hard to bear it. I did have a few bites of meat, however absolutely no carbs. This is just what i am dong and hope i will be successful in meeting my weight loss goals. Even when i get my band i will be having limited amount of carbs for a while. Just to let you know i have not exceeded the 800 calories per day that the Optifast would have provided.

I believe I cheated a few times, but nothing serious. I think the pre-op diet is a big test of your will power and your ability to comply with new things. It IS hard. It was hard seeing other people eat normal food and there I was drinking sodium filled broth. But, it was well worth it looking back. Try your best to stick to your diet; if you're going to cheat don't go too extreme. However, remember you'll be repeating it all over again post-op, so you may want to try to get used to it now.

Good luck!

I am on the pre-op diet my surgery is 3\8\11, The doctor gave me Optifast , the cost was 225.00 for two weeks supply. The problem is that when i read the label it has 20gms of carbs per box and i have to drink 5 boxes each day. I know my body, i have PCOS and i will not lose any weight taking in100gm of carbs daily. So i am drinking the crystal lite, diet Jello and Muscle milk (Lactose free). I am scheduled to weigh the day before surgery and i am expected to lose 14lbs. So far i have lost 9lbs. I am very hungry but i try hard to bear it. I did have a few bites of meat, however absolutely no carbs. This is just what i am dong and hope i will be successful in meeting my weight loss goals. Even when i get my band i will be having limited amount of carbs for a while. Just to let you know i have not exceeded the 800 calories per day that the Optifast would have provided.

Excellent choice with the Muscle Milk ! I hope your doing the lite, and get it on ebay. Lots of suppliers, flavors,and sometimes good prices.

With the MM you can add 1/2 the amount of Water, and freeze it, and it will be like a pudding. Speaking of pudding lets say chocolate, sugar free cups are great to have, it fills the empty feeling, and only 60 cal.. Also mix a pudding with a shake to thicken it up. But I had Yogurt, and cottage cheese before surgery. It doesn't hurt... Just 3 days before surgery do all fluids, and you will be fine. Surgeon was happy with the results.

Excellent choice with the Muscle Milk ! I hope your doing the lite, and get it on ebay. Lots of suppliers, flavors,and sometimes good prices.

With the MM you can add 1/2 the amount of Water, and freeze it, and it will be like a pudding. Speaking of pudding lets say chocolate, sugar free cups are great to have, it fills the empty feeling, and only 60 cal.. Also mix a pudding with a shake to thicken it up. But I had Yogurt, and cottage cheese before surgery. It doesn't hurt... Just 3 days before surgery do all fluids, and you will be fine. Surgeon was happy with the results.

I was called on a Wed. by the doctors and told I was scheduled for surgery the next Wed. and to start liquid stage 1 diet. I ate what I wanted and drank that night, I did two days of liquid diet Thurs and Friday then on Saturday night had a very nice dinner and partied at the Dan Band concert with a nice Breakfast burrito the next morning. Back on the diet Monday Tuesday and all was fine for surgery on WEd.

Tina, please understand I am only passing along the info I got from my own doctor. I am not being judgemental, this is super hard!

If you doctor put you on a specific diet please follow it. The more weight you lose and the smaller your liver will be and the easier the surgery will be on your body. Research shows that following a 2 week high Protein low carb/fat diet can shrink the fat in your liver by 25%! If you want to know why that is important go watch a video of a live surgery on youtube(not at all gross, no blood), they whip your liver right out the way. So the more flexible it is the better.

I would recommend spacing out your allowed foods. If possible plan your day so you can eat every couple hours. You probably will be hungry after drinking one shake but if you can rationalize that food is only 2 hours away it might help with your urges.

Another thing to remember is after surgery you can not break your doctors orders. They are there to protect your stomach while it's recovering from surgery. It will have stitches holding the band in place and eating solids could cause those stiches to rip out (due to the stomach moving to digest the solids).

I'm not trying to be mean spirited, just explain why following the doctors orders is important. That said if you were to eat an unapproved food I would make it grilled chicken breast plain no skin.

I realize the pre-op diet is a good way to jump-start your new outlook on food, but since it is mainly to reduce the liver for safety reasons do doctors ever prescribe diet pills? I know they do not work long term, but I'm just curious since the pre-op diet is so important to the success of the surgery.

There was a post a few weeks back about this. Some doctors do perscribe diet pills after surgery because for up to 6 months this will be will power diet until you get restriction.

There are Doctors that prescribe Protein in foods, like chicken, fish etc. Only so many G of protein a day though or you will gain weight.

The Post Op is very important, so everything will heel wright.