Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded the 25th hoping I'm normal

Hi all,

I was banded on the 25th and the surgery and after care went well. I was up and moving and had minimal pain. I really thought that I was going top make it back to work today.

First I will preface that I do suffer with anxiety, and I think that me be part of what happened, but I would like to know if anyone else gets like this.

I was a little nervous about getting back to work, but got up at 6am and had 2oz of my Protein Shake. I removed my bandages and got ready to take a shower. I noticed I feel a weird heaviness in my lower abdomen. I got in the shower and got very tired, weak, short of breath, and couldnt even finish washing my hair. I have showered since I have been home...I have even gone out walking, but I seriously did not feel right.

Of course the anxiety kicked in and I start worrying about everything from blood clots to band slipage (I am sure thats not it lol, but the mind is powerful)

This then brought on a breakdown and the floodgates opened. I did end up taking the day off from work and think I am regretting my decision not to take the full week (I just heard about so many people taking just a few days to recoup).

I just feel like the weakness and tiredness is a set back especially after doing so well in the beginning.

Thanks for any input.

You know, the mind is powerful. I don't know what your religious affiliation is, but I too had some of the same worries cross my mind. I say cross, because I chose to only let them be brief. We are told to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. We may have little control over what come across our minds but we can use them to pray for the opposite if the thought is of something such as a blood clot that could harm us, and then meditate on the fact that we prayed for help on our weight loss journies and we received it. At the end of the day, when you have done all you can do, just thank God that you are on your way and have his protection to see you through. I had several friends and family members who were a little concerned for me to have this surgery but I feel that God moved a lot of things around to make it happen. It was also the help that I have been praying for all of these years. I know the inability to lose on my own was a stronghold in my mind that I couldn't get past. Each day I have been telling my body thank you for it's ability to renew itself and heal. If you really think about it, someone put holes in your stomache just a few days ago and already your body is healing and changing into the new you that you have accepted. Regardless if you have to take an extra day off from work. Help me Celebrate today that we did this. Take a nap, turn on the radio and walk a few steps in place and just allow yourself to giggle and be happy that you took such an important step towards your goal. It can all be down hill from now.

Common; you probably did too much too soon. I was back to feeling half-decent about a week out. I took off 2-weeks because I had the paid time. Remember that you just underwent pretty invasive surgery and you still need time to heal. Take it easy and relax as much as you can. Resting is key. Hope you're feeling better soon! ^_^

I think you trying to go back to work to soon. I have a very low impact job. I talk on the phone all day and work from home. While I had been going out for shopping trips on day 2-3, on day four I went to the gym and walked on the treadmil low speed for about 40 minutes. I came home and had to take a Nap! And I had been doing an hour of cardio a day presurgery. I had a very uneventful post op (except for being allergic to the surgical tape) and I think taking 5 days off and having the weekend are a minimum. Does your work know you had surgery? I would call your doctor and say you need a note to be out the remainder of this week. Call your work and tell them you have a doctors note, you are sorry but you are not fit to return to work. Another thing to remember is companies don't want someone at work who may fall down and get injured because then they are liable for workmans comp. So if you have a doctor's note they should'nt moan to much. I would however be proactive about the doctors note. This way it does'nt look like you are milking the situation on your own for no real reason.

Thank you for all the replies!! I am feeling better and really believe it was to much to soon. Luckily my work has been fabulous through this process.

I think that I will try a little more time off and see how it goes.

[Trish151

Thank you so much for writing this. It is truly a road map for me. I have found since my banding 1 week ago, I too have let my "mind" wonder at times. I have felt a deep connection with God and all his love. I have tried to walk in faith and hope of the tomorrow. This new beginning, as given me a second chance to change my destiny. I love your words of "transform the mind." Today I will let go and let God. Thank for for your wise words.

quote name=Trish151' timestamp='1298984221' post='1579973]

You know, the mind is powerful. I don't know what your religious affiliation is, but I too had some of the same worries cross my mind. I say cross, because I chose to only let them be brief. We are told to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. We may have little control over what come across our minds but we can use them to pray for the opposite if the thought is of something such as a blood clot that could harm us, and then meditate on the fact that we prayed for help on our weight loss journies and we received it. At the end of the day, when you have done all you can do, just thank God that you are on your way and have his protection to see you through. I had several friends and family members who were a little concerned for me to have this surgery but I feel that God moved a lot of things around to make it happen. It was also the help that I have been praying for all of these years. I know the inability to lose on my own was a stronghold in my mind that I couldn't get past. Each day I have been telling my body thank you for it's ability to renew itself and heal. If you really think about it, someone put holes in your stomache just a few days ago and already your body is healing and changing into the new you that you have accepted. Regardless if you have to take an extra day off from work. Help me Celebrate today that we did this. Take a nap, turn on the radio and walk a few steps in place and just allow yourself to giggle and be happy that you took such an important step towards your goal. It can all be down hill from now.

[Trish151

Thank you so much for writing this. It is truly a road map for me. I have found since my banding 1 week ago, I too have let my "mind" wonder at times. I have felt a deep connection with God and all his love. I have tried to walk in faith and hope of the tomorrow. This new beginning, as given me a second chance to change my destiny. I love your words of "transform the mind." Today I will let go and let God. Thank for for your wise words.

I agree!!!