Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going to Info Seminar

Well - after countless years of trying every diet imaginable and different exercise routines, I have arrived here. My last doctor's visit ended up with an exceptionally frank discussion. I've got about a three year window before my health with go downhill rapidly. I am pre-diabetic, have mild asthma, my joints and back are hurting, and my eyes are getting blurry. So I have been reading alot on the board here and am writing down questions I want to ask at the seminar. Even though our healthcare provider does cover this - money will be an issue. It is good to be here and hopefully I will like the docs and the information I hear on Saturday :)

We (my wife and I) go tonight to the info seminar. getting excited. I'm ready to get the process going. I haven't been to the doctor in years so I have my initial appointment with a new primary on Friday. We'll see how many comorbidities I actually have. Some that I know of are Sleap Apnea, Knee pain, possible Diabetes, umbilical hernia, etc, etc. I registered on FitDay.com today and started logging my food intake. I guess that will be a habit I will have to continue after I am banded. who knows...maybe I'll loose a couple pounds before I'm approved for the band.

I hope your seminars are informative and help you make the decisions that are right for each of you.

Before my surgery in September I had: diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, coronary artery disease and sleep apnea. I was taking 8 pills a day for all of my stupid illnesses and I'm only 46. My dad died of a massive heart attack at 46 and I was so scared that I would follow his footsteps.

Now, six months later - I'm off all of my medicine. This surgery literally saved my life and I haven't regretted it for even a second!

We (my wife and I) go tonight to the info seminar. getting excited. I'm ready to get the process going. I haven't been to the doctor in years so I have my initial appointment with a new primary on Friday. We'll see how many comorbidities I actually have. Some that I know of are Sleap Apnea, Knee pain, possible Diabetes, umbilical hernia, etc, etc. I registered on FitDay.com today and started logging my food intake. I guess that will be a habit I will have to continue after I am banded. who knows...maybe I'll loose a couple pounds before I'm approved for the band.

Well, I got some sad news at the seminar last night....

I may not be a candidate for the lap band after all. They said that if you have had any other stomach surgeries before that it would have to be handled on a case by case basis. In the past I had a hernia repaired. The procedure is called a Nissenfundoplasty(sp?). This is where to correct the hernia and the GERD they wrap the top of the stomach around the esophagus. Since that is where they would place the band, the doctor wasn't sure they would schedule the surgery. I was almost in tears. It's not a pretty sight when you see a man 6'2" tall weighing almost 350 lbs in tears. So while my wife excitedly filled out the pre-op questionnaire, I went to my room and watched the biggest looser and cried with Arthur and the rest of the black team...the finished it off with some UK basketball.

Well, I got some sad news at the seminar last night....

I may not be a candidate for the lap band after all. They said that if you have had any other stomach surgeries before that it would have to be handled on a case by case basis. In the past I had a hernia repaired. The procedure is called a Nissenfundoplasty(sp?). This is where to correct the hernia and the GERD they wrap the top of the stomach around the esophagus. Since that is where they would place the band, the doctor wasn't sure they would schedule the surgery. I was almost in tears. It's not a pretty sight when you see a man 6'2" tall weighing almost 350 lbs in tears. So while my wife excitedly filled out the pre-op questionnaire, I went to my room and watched the biggest looser and cried with Arthur and the rest of the black team...the finished it off with some UK basketball.

I was SO sorry to read this :( You will be in my prayers as you pursue your options to lose weight.

I hope your seminars are informative and help you make the decisions that are right for each of you.

Before my surgery in September I had: diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, coronary artery disease and sleep apnea. I was taking 8 pills a day for all of my stupid illnesses and I'm only 46. My dad died of a massive heart attack at 46 and I was so scared that I would follow his footsteps.

Now, six months later - I'm off all of my medicine. This surgery literally saved my life and I haven't regretted it for even a second!

That is wonderful for you. I do hope that the seminar will encourage me :D

I was SO sorry to read this :( You will be in my prayers as you pursue your options to lose weight.

Thank you for the prayers.

I have almost gotten comfortable with the idea of the gastric sleeve now that I have done more research on it. I was so ready for the band though, it's just depressing knowing that it may not be a possibility. oh I'll still fill out the questionnaire and go to a consultation, but I won't let my hopes get too high.

Thank you for the prayers.

I have almost gotten comfortable with the idea of the gastric sleeve now that I have done more research on it. I was so ready for the band though, it's just depressing knowing that it may not be a possibility. oh I'll still fill out the questionnaire and go to a consultation, but I won't let my hopes get too high.

Hey CCBC, I have been researching both options. My seminar is tomorrow, so I am anxious. I think that if it is meant to be, you will get your surgery (no matter which one it is). Just think, many people that need Band revision or removals, end up getting the sleeve anyway. You shouldn't feel defeated just yet. Keep your chin up. Hugs!!!!