Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constipation anyone?

I have been having issues with this since surgery 2 wkd ago. Been following my preScribed diet and am now back on pretty much normal foods but it has not really improved. O know that with the smaller amounts I am eating I will go less, but it is gettingnto be a problem and uncomfortable. What do other people do about this or take for his problem?

I have been having issues with this since surgery 2 wkd ago. Been following my preScribed diet and am now back on pretty much normal foods but it has not really improved. O know that with the smaller amounts I am eating I will go less, but it is gettingnto be a problem and uncomfortable. What do other people do about this or take for his problem?

I had this problem post-op as well. The anesthesia slows the intestines down, then you don't have any real food for weeks and are on pain meds. It is a wicked comba. I took a stool softener, Colace I think. Try one with no stimulants. If you need to a glycerin suppository can be useful if you are experiencing blockage lower in the system. I also added Fiber powder to everything I drank (store brand Benefiber) to keep things working well. And of course, walking will always get your gut moving again. :)

I had that problem and called the doctor. They told me to take Milk of Magnesia (I am sure I spelled that wrong) but it did work

I had this problem post-op as well. The anesthesia slows the intestines down, then you don't have any real food for weeks and are on pain meds. It is a wicked comba. I took a stool softener, Colace I think. Try one with no stimulants. If you need to a glycerin suppository can be useful if you are experiencing blockage lower in the system. I also added Fiber powder to everything I drank (store brand Benefiber) to keep things working well. And of course, walking will always get your gut moving again. :)

When you are up to it, eat something with black Beans in it. That solves the problem really quickly, but I am lucky to get two bowl movements a week and I am over two months out.

gas x solves my problems lol!

benefiber...and of course fiber in your diet

I had surgery in November and to this day I still have problems in that area. I've had to add Benefiber to my food and recently added fiber bars into my diet. Has helped a little but like the other person said, I'm lucky to go once or twice a week. Big change since I was going every day prior to surgery. When I feel a little backed up.. I drink Mira lax which was recommended by my doctor office. If you are constipated it makes it easier to go, and doesn't give you bad stomach cramps like some of the other products. Make sure to drink lots of Water too!

I eat a Fiber One Bar most days and that seems to work really well. I eat it as my planned snack in the evening, which helps curb my problem with the evening munchies. It takes like a treat, keeps me full.....and keeps things moving.:blink:

Thanks guys. I used to eat the bars bedew I got banded but was afraid to try them now since I thought they might get stuck. Will try the benefiber too

i don't know about the Fiber One bars, but Benefiber is working great for me. I was getting constipated once a week, and having to take a laxative. Now, I use Benefiber and have no problem staying regular!

After surgery, my doctor recommended Dulcolax, a stool softener. I had issues for a couple weeks after surgery, but they eventually cleared up. Now it's not even an issue because I get enough fat and Water in my diet.