Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking at getting Banded

Hi,

New to this site. I am in the process of getting banded. My first visit is next week. Hoping that I can get banded by the end of April. My insurance covers the procedure, since my BMI is over 40.

Anything I should be aware of?

How soon after surgery can I get back to working out? I work out 5-6 times a week, a mix of cardio and circuit training. I want this bloody gut off me. I am sick and tired of it.

Also, do you have to restrict abdominal workouts? I may never get six pack abs, but I want the CASE off the front, and be able to do alot of the physical stuff I used to do.

you physician can tell you when you can get back to exercising, each doc is different in their rules. Usually, you start out slow and then for the abs it will be approx. 4-8 weeks out post op.

Ask about up front costs and out of pocket costs, i.e. program costs, physicain share of costs,etc... if you are to have surgery in a hospital find out what your share of costs are and if there will be any physicians who don't take your insurance so that you can plan for those costs and are not surprised when the bill comes in the mail.

Some folks here are stating that they do not meet with their surgeons until the day of the surgery, meet with your surgeon so that you can get your questions answered and if you are not comfortable with him/her, take the time and find another one.

Best of luck!

Wow. I can't imagine not meeting the surgeon. My orientation was so thorough, I mentioned to the recovery nurse that no one brought my spirometer (breathing thing to strengthen breathing after anesthesia). I met my surgeon at the group orientation, my prep day (10 days earlier) and the morning of my surgery.

I am SO happy that, while getting into the program was fairly time consuming, I feel 99% sure about my commitment, how to handle the diet post surgery, and my opportunities to use this tool for success. My program was labeled a "Center of Excellence" and they were the founders of the international bariatric conference. I am on liquids and yogurt for another week and a half, then soft and pureed foods for another week. So in week 5 I am eating normal foods again.

Exercise: I am walking 15-20 minutes twice a day already (Day 4 for me). I get a check up in 2 weeks then my first fill if needed on the 6th week. I am able to start weight training after 4-5 weeks. So for now, walking, cycling, all good. Just told to gain time then intensity over the next few weeks. I am surprised, in spite of the fatigue from the anesthesia, that I am waling so much.

I am only restricted by grand expectations, and not being there yet. So far, I am very happy with the decision to band versus bypass.

Good luck. Oh, and this blog has been a great help with the things I wasn't expecting like surgical gas left in my abdominal cavity. Ouchie..