Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Total Gym or equivilent?

Has anyone owned or used a TOTAL GYM (Norris endorsement)? Or at least something that is like it? What did you think about it & do you recommend them?

I am considering one.

My DH has one. He got the upper model and paid about $1,100 for it a few years ago. Its the longer bench b/c he got it hoping I would do it (I'm taller lol).

He loves it and uses it alot. Its nice b/c you can fold it up and put it away. Depending on what you want to do, there are different settings/levels to set it on. My 4 year old even goes on it lol.

I'm sure you'll get both responses love/hate. Good luck with your decision, but asking around is the best way to go.

There are several I am thinking of bidding on EBAY for...But I really wanted to use one ahead of time to make sure its worth the investment. I also am very curious how people like it or what they don't like. Its a big investment. Good news is ebay has them for around $300.oo starting bid.

The Bowflex is awesome..............if you don't mind shelling out the $$$$. It is a great piece of equipment, but like any other piece, it only works when used consistently! I am trying to be more consistent! The bottom models are about $700 and the upper models are about $2200. I paid $1500 for mine and haven't regretted it a bit!

The Bowflex is awesome..............if you don't mind shelling out the $$$$. It is a great piece of equipment, but like any other piece, it only works when used consistently! I am trying to be more consistent! The bottom models are about $700 and the upper models are about $2200. I paid $1500 for mine and haven't regretted it a bit!

Thanks for the input::

I just purchased a Weider that was supposed to be the bowflex equivalent. But it is too difficult to constantly change all the straps & wires. Plus I find the wire stability very challenging & not a level I can do very well at this stage. You said a mouth full about "things only work when you use them" so true so true!!!

The stair master, unfortunately makes my toes go numb everytime. So my physical Therapist said something like the Total Gym may be very good for me. I won't buy one though untill I get enough feedback & know for sure.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Be careful which model you bid on. They do make the cheaper ones less sturdy, and thats why we went for the extra $$$. Check out their website and compair.

Good luck !!!

NJchick----Can you tell me the model number you all got & what the name was. I am more than 75% sure I am getting one now. But will still need more research.

I had one of the cheap models (I am short) and liked it. The problem is that when it lays down, it overpowered my rooms in my house. I have a very small house. If I ever get a larger house I will probably buy another.

Also, they do have tapes to do Pilates on the total gym. There is also one of those 8 minutes a day workout tapes you can order. Good luck.

I have a Weider Crossbow. Just like a bowflex, but much much cheaper.

Infortunately, it is big, like the bowflex.

Exercise wise, it is fabulous. I have this and a recumbant bike, and I am feeling good with both.

I dont know specifically anything about them. BUT - I have so many times hired exercise equipment and been really disappointed. I love the treadmill and I love the elliptical and I also love spinning. I would love to have any one of these pieces of equipment at home. But I ONLY love gym quality equipment - every time I hire something, its second rate for home use and the whole experience is ruined.

If you buy somethng of lesser quality you'll be disappointed and you wont use it. If I were to buy an elliptical for example, I would only do so if I was prepared to spend upwards of $AUD 3,000 on it.

Is there any way you can try before you buy? Or do they have a moneyback guarantee?

Over many years of having equipment in the house, I have learned that I will NOT do exercise at home. The only time I have successfully exercised regularly, I was going to a gym with a buddy.

My current buddy is my DH. We joined the local express fitness for a fraction of the cost of a good treadmill - and we are going.

If we stop using it - we don't have a big piece of equipment blocking up the house, and we are out about a third of the cost of a good treadmill.

Just a thought.

:]

I dont know specifically anything about them. BUT - I have so many times hired exercise equipment and been really disappointed. I love the treadmill and I love the elliptical and I also love spinning. I would love to have any one of these pieces of equipment at home. But I ONLY love gym quality equipment - every time I hire something, its second rate for home use and the whole experience is ruined.

If you buy somethng of lesser quality you'll be disappointed and you wont use it. If I were to buy an elliptical for example, I would only do so if I was prepared to spend upwards of $AUD 3,000 on it.

Is there any way you can try before you buy? Or do they have a moneyback guarantee?

I agree. I currently have a treadmill that I love using. As to space I have an entire basement strickly for working out. Its right next to the bar(lOL LOL LOL ) But there is not a tremendous amount of roon left b/c I like having space for stretching & areobics.

The total gym would fit nicely but I really did want to try one before I buy one. I would love to bid on a upscale model on ebay. I am prepared to spend a fairly large amount but $1600.00 is out of the question. thats what they are bran new on TV.

Sorry, I didn't see this until now. I'll check tonight when I get home. GOSH I hope I don't forget lol.

Eileen- Thanks I appreciate it very much!

I do hope to use it for pilates has well. My girlfriend lended me her Windsor pilates tapes & I want to start using them at the lasted next week.