Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help me find a surgeon for removal.

For those of you have had, or are looking into band removal. Can you please provide me with information about surgeons/pricing?

I am in California, and have been quoted a cash rate of $6,500 for removal. I have heard from a select few around the country (on other boards) about how inexpensive removal can be. I am willing to travel basically anywhere within the US.

Most times Insurance will cover the band removal. My doctor is Dr. Helmuth Billy in Ventura. He just removed my band due to erosion on Dec 6, 2005 about a month ago. I don't know the cost as we treated it as an emergency. Most insurances will cover if treated as such. I can't guarantee all will.

I can't recommend him highly enough.

Hi Anthony,

Why do you want to have your band removed?

Are you having problems with it?

Does the band need to come out after you meet your goal?

I am totally confused.

My reasons for removal:

Inability to burp and moderate-severe upper/mid back pain. The back pain effect happened immediately after surgery and has endured. The burping effect leads to severe gas, since the air has to take the long way out.

My doctor in TJ charged me 3200 for my removal..I was his patient originally. I do not know if the price is the same for those who he did not band originally. I too live in Cali

Have you had success with your band ? How much weight have you lost? Could you just be filled too tight? I had the inability to burp..it turned out I had gastritis and took prilosec for it and it helped alot. To me not being able to burp was well worth it if I was losing weight. Have you spoken to your original sirgeon about all of this?

I also had mine removed by Billy. I'm sorry, I don't know anyone in the US that would remove it without a whopping bill. Is your only option Mexico at this point? I hate to see you suffer. Is your band eroded?

How long has it been since you were banded?

Have you tried just getting an unfill? I had gas & burping problems initially but it's not bad now (unless I make the foolish decision to drink something with carbonation).

Have you tried Gas-X?

I'm sorry to hear about the pain. I hope you've had the opportunity to get checked for erosion or infection.

did your doc suggest getting it removed to combat these problems. Or is this just something you decided in frustration.

Please let us know how you do and know that we wish you well and that you find resolution to your distress.

Take care - nancy