Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill....at Radiologist

In a couple of weeks, I am going to get my first fill. It will be at the radiology department where upper GI tests are done. My Doctor explained that he will fill my band (almost full) and then they will give me barium liquid to drink. They will then take some of the fill out to a level that shows a proper amount of flow and constriction. He said that by doing it this way, you can get proper restriction on the first fill. Ultimately it is likely they will leave 3.5 -5.5 cc in the band after this fill. He said that if they don't go through radiology and do the fill in the doctor's office, they can only add a small amount. You then need to keep going back until you have a proper fill.

I was very happy to learn about the approach my doctor takes to fills. I am hoping that I get decent restriction quickly so I can keep the weight I have taken off and continue with my weight loss program.

I am curious as to others whose Dr. has taken this approach and how it worked for you. Did you get good restriction after the first fill?

That sounds like a good plan! I haven't had my first fill yet, so I'm not sure how it works.

In a couple of weeks, I am going to get my first fill. It will be at the radiology department where upper GI tests are done. My Doctor explained that he will fill my band (almost full) and then they will give me barium liquid to drink. They will then take some of the fill out to a level that shows a proper amount of flow and constriction. He said that by doing it this way, you can get proper restriction on the first fill. Ultimately it is likely they will leave 3.5 -5.5 cc in the band after this fill. He said that if they don't go through radiology and do the fill in the doctor's office, they can only add a small amount. You then need to keep going back until you have a proper fill.

I was very happy to learn about the approach my doctor takes to fills. I am hoping that I get decent restriction quickly so I can keep the weight I have taken off and continue with my weight loss program.

I am curious as to others whose Dr. has taken this approach and how it worked for you. Did you get good restriction after the first fill?

Actually, mine did this too but it didn't quite work out the way it seemed. They filled it until the barium went through and the amount in my 10cc band was 5.5cc's just like you said. Even though they did it the same way for the next couple of fills, I didn't feel restriction. I did have to go back 3 times so far. But, I liked the way this happened because I had to get used to the way you have to eat with the band (smaller amounts, little bites, etc). And, I actually still did experience bandster hell in between my first and third fills.

I just had my fourth fill and hopefully last. I'm now at 7.1cc's. The last two fills were about .6cc's a piece so in mine it seems the closer I get to the sweet spot, the amounts are getting smaller. I'm still glad they did it this way cause I hear the stories about people having to go so much and only get small amounts at a time. I actually dislike the process very much so the less I have to do it, the happier I am :D.

Good luck to ya and keep us updated.

Julia

Mine was like that, well my doctor has the machine in his office. I got 5.5ccs on my first fill, and I don't feel i need anymore :) at least for now.

Just remember it takes a few weeks for the fills to work properly so don't get discouraged immediately. But yea, I have almost zero hunger.