Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the diff between RNY & DS?

calvin had RNY, he doesnt stink BUT HIS HINEY DOES!!! we buy LOTS of spray...luckily for me he is sweet and only 'lets one rip' in the bathroom, cause he knows he is leathal!!!!

hehehe luckily he doesnt read this site so he cant kill me for discussing his oder!

The DS surgery makes ppl stink:huytsao , but this can happen with RNY also and may have to do with severely reduced caloric intake--there are even some pills (brand name Devrom) that are sold as an "internal deodorant"

I only stink when I have a BM or flatulance. :faint: Not walking around, Thank God!

My nutritionist said that the reason bypass patients sometimes stink is that their food actually rots and decays in their intestines before it comes out. They don't eat enough to have regular BMs, so everything goes through too slowly. Benefiber, anyone?

Seeing those pictures makes me lightheaded. I'm fantasizing about a bypass to avoid having to count calories. I just sat through my first birthday party without having cake. I'd rather wear a sexy size 18 hippy outfit with a halter top this summer.

My nutritionist said that the reason bypass patients sometimes stink is that their food actually rots and decays in their intestines before it comes out. They don't eat enough to have regular BMs, so everything goes through too slowly. Benefiber, anyone?

Actually it comes out much faster, in 4-8 hours. All food digest (it doesn't really "rot" per say, because the enzymes break it down) in the intestines, mine just doesn't digest as long. Thats why the stench is worse because it is kinda half way digested. Ugh. Too much information....

Melati~

This is a real good description explanation of the Vertical Gastrectomy (its says Vertical Gastrectomy is the same as the Gastric Sleeve):

<TABLE id=AutoNumber20 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=782 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=632 colSpan=2>

<CENTER><TABLE id=AutoNumber21 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">Vertical Gastrectomy most effective for morbid

obesity</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=150>

<SCRIPT>toolbar();</SCRIPT> <IFRAME border=0 name=I6 marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://www.womenfitness.net/toolbar_left.htm" frameBorder=0 width=150 scrolling=no height=2425>Your browser does not support inline frames or is currently configured not to display inline frames.</IFRAME>

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=493>

verticalgastrectomy.jpgAccording to a year long study, while all types of obesity-related surgery are risky and a last option for most obese people, particularly older patients, vertical gastrectomy is preferred over three other methods (especially for those over 50).

The stomach is the digestive organ that is connected between the esophagus and the small intestine. food enters the stomach through the esophagus where it is broken down and then transferred to the small intestine where the nutrients are absorbed. Vertical gastrectomy (surgical removal of all or part of the stomach.) removes up to 95 percent of the stomach and leaves behind a thin tube-like stomach roughly 2 ounces (60 milliliters) in volume.

The other three types of surgery in order of the average amount of weight loss that resulted were Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, in which most of the stomach is sectioned off by a line of staples and part of the small intestine bypassed to inhibit the absorption of calories; duodenal switch, in which a large portion of the stomach is removed and the small intestine rearranged; and lap-band surgery, in which a silicone band is placed around the upper section of the stomach to shrink the stomach's size and slow the exit of food.< /span>

The Vertical Gastrectomy is a reasonable solution to morbid obesity (BMI greater than 60Kg/M2). It can usually be done laparoscopically in patients weighing over 500 pounds. The stomach restriction that occurs allows these patients to lose more than 100 pounds and in many patients more than 200 pounds. This weight loss allows significant improvement in health and effectively "downstages" a patient to a lower risk group. Once the patients BMI is lower (35-40) they can return to the operating room for the "second stage" of the procedure, which can either be the Duodenal Switch, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass or even a LapBand®.

<CENTER><TABLE id=AutoNumber139 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 height=21 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%" bgColor=#c0c0c0 height=21>Procedure

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

verticalgastroplasty.jpgThe Vertical Gastrectomy procedure is also called vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, Greater Curvature Gastrectomy, Parietal Gastrectomy, Gastric Reduction and even Vertical Gastroplasty. The excess stomach volume is removed, not left in place. This possibly eliminates most Ghrelin hormone production and helps to reduce the sensation of hunger that people have.

In this gastric restrictive procedure the stomach is segmented along its vertical axis. To create a durable reinforced and rate-limiting stoma at the distal end of the pouch, a plug of stomach is removed and a propylene collar is placed through this hole and then stapled to itself. Because the normal flow of food is preserved, metabolic complications are rare. Vertical banded gastroplasty may be performed using an open or laparoscopic approach.

The stomach that remains is shaped like a banana and measures from 2-5 ounces (60-150cc) depending on the surgeon performing the procedure. The nerves to the stomach and the outlet valve (pylorus) remain intact with the idea of preserving the functions of the stomach while reducing the volume. Note that t

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>