Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression after Lapband?

My question relates more to the psychological issues experienced with this type of surgery. My husband had the surgery last fall and has been extremely successful in his weight loss and has experienced no negative side effects. However, over the past couple of months, I have noticed what I would call a severe decrease in his “joy.” He is generally a very upbeat guy – laughs A LOT – and takes pleasure in simple things. It seems to me that he is experiencing a pretty severe depression that we think relates to (for lack of a better way to put it) his “loss” of the companionship of eating. He's always enjoyed food – would oftentimes plan a vacation around where he wanted to eat – and I’m wondering if the fact that food is no longer any kind of priority could be causing this state of mind??? And if it’s a common side effect for people who have had this surgery, what do we do to combat it? It would be reasonable to me to think that we could simply fill the void with a new hobby or interest, but he’s also almost 60 years old and is not inclined to take on any new challenges. It’s a pretty difficult place and is one that we did not anticipate when we started this venture. I would welcome your insights into this situation and your recommendations about possible ways to turn things around. I’m really worried about it because it seems to me that he has aged before my very eyes – and I’m just not sure how to help him through this.

I can understand to a point what he is going through. I was only banded a couple weeks ago and have already had some issues with depression and saddness. food has definitely been a "friend" to me over the years. It is also an addiction. And like anything else you can be addicted to, when you stop using it there is withdrawal, pain and saddness. I think it would be wise for him to speak to someone about his feelings. Is he having body image issues? I know for men that can be hard to talk about, but it can still be there. Manu friends of mine who have had dramatic weight loss feel a disconnect from their bodies. All they have known for so long is a large self and now they don't know how to live in the new shape. I hope this helps and just know he and you are bot alone in your feelings.

There has been some research recently on this topic. I read an article that talked about depression in bariatric surgical patients and indicated that a large number of patients suffer from severe depression in the first two years. People who have traditionally used food as a coping mechanism may be at a loss for how to deal with stress or negative feeling, combined with the loss of their comfort and "friend" they often find themselves very unhappy. One would hope the reward of weight loss would be adequate compensation for that grief, but it isn't. I would encourage you to get your husband professional help ASAP. Men who are depressed can often hide their more severe symptoms until it reaches a critical stage. The study I read was primarly about suicide rates in bariatric patients, which is much higher than the general population. Please talk to his (or your) doctor about this. He deserves happiness after all his hard work, and so do you. :)

Thanks to both of you for the insight. I appreciate it. We are working on this situation together and have learned a few things in the last 24 hours.

Apparently your Protein intake can affect your attitude - a lack of it can cause anxiety, irritability and depression. We learned in the nutrition classes prior to surgery that it could cause physical effects like hair loss, etc. but no one mentioned any potential psychological problems. While we were extremely careful in the first few months to track every Protein gram, I must admit that we had gotten a bit slack with that in the past month or two. So, we're recommitted to doing that - Atkins/high Proteins, here we come!

Secondly, we are initiating a plan to go to the gym at least three times a week - even if we're wheezing after the first 20 minutes! Once we build up some endurance, we know that will get easier and we will both benefit from the exercise. This will also give us something to do together and a provide new focus away from menu planning and what he's NOT eating!

If we don't see some big improvement after two weeks, we will seek some outside help. My husband is not interested in anti-depressants, but realizes that we have to do whatever it takes to get through this challenging place successfully. At least he is able to recognize that he's having a problem with this and is willing to work on changing things. I'm encouraged by that.

I appreciate this blog site and welcome any opinions and suggestions along the way, especially from those who may have experienced this type of problem following the surgery. I think it's kind of interesting that NOTHING was ever said prior to the procedure about this possibility - but I believe it may be more common than we knew. Thanks again, ladies.

My dr warned me ahead of time I may go thru depression because its like food was my best friend for so long and suddenly has become my enemy so I lost my best friend and that's depressing. He also advised me that if I don't eat right and get my Vitamins and supplements it will lower my energy and could become depressed cuz mentally I will not feel good.