Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I keep filling and unfilling. Is this common?

IrishGirlTaken
Sign in to follow this  

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I'm looking for some info. I've had my band for about 18 months. I've lost 74lbs. Still want to lose another 20 or so. I have an 11cc band and I'm currently filled to approx 8.5cc. My problems started about 6 months ago. I had been at my current level of 9.5 cc for a couple months and all of the sudden started having problems with back pain everytime I ate. So, the doc took me down to 8cc. I felt great, but had no restriction and gained 8lbs within a month. So I went back in and doc put me up to 8.75cc. I was good for about two months and then started having problems again with back pain. So I went back to doc and he wanted to take me back down to 8cc. I pleaded w/ him that I wasn't tight enough at 8cc. He relented and put at about 8.25cc. I've been at this point for (again) 2 months. All of the sudden I had a serious case of acid reflux issues. Something I've never experienced before. Regurgitation. Burping. Waking in the night. And, once again, the back pain has reappeared.

So, I'm stumped as to why I can be fine with my fill level for two months and then all of the sudden it gets too tight. Anybody else experience this?

My band has it days... sometimes too tight, sometimes not tight enough. I've learned to pretty much relax and go with it. BUT, I'm not having back pain or any other pain issues. I once was so tight I couldn't get fluids in, and that was too darn tight.

Please talk to your doctor and if he unfills you to 8cc, then look for other answers like low carb, more exercise to help get you through. Sometimes you have to give yourself and your band a little time off, and that has often been the "cure" for the very few issues I've had.

maybe he should try .1 or .2 cc instead of the big cc's. I recenlty had a to tight issue with the band and I've had the band for about 22 months. I have a 10 size band and I'm no where up to 8 cc's. I can't seem to get past 4 without being to tight. So I'm thinking that next time I go the the dr that maybe he can start at the smallest cc for a fill. And increase the exercise.. because our bodies are kind of use to the same thing. I think you've done great to have lost that much weight because I'm no where near that.. Keep up the good work. :D

I have never been unfilled, that must be frustrating. I am at the perfect level right now for maintenance and I am only 9 months from surgery today. My doctor has been awesome and lets me decide the amounts I need. She believes small increases are best for sneaking up on the perfect restriction. I have had

.10, .15, .20, .25 put in at different times. Your doctor is wrong in his beliefs, the small amounts do make a difference. I have lost 107 pounds and never gained with this approach. Good luck.