Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello - New Here and Considering WLS - lapband

Hello Everyone! First off let me say that I have been lurking here for awhile and I can not thank you enough for all the posts. They are really helping me with this decision. I am considering the Slimband (Canada) and I am just trying to make sure I have done my research. I consider myself a professional dieter. I have been on them ALL. And when I say all I mean ALL. I do not think there is one left that I have not tried. I can lose the weight on pretty much any program, but it never stays off. Am I scared of surgery?? Of Course, but I am also scared of going through a great loss and another failure, it is having a devasting effect on my moral and self esteem. I told myself the last time, if I gained it back then that was it, NO MORE, I just had to accept myself as is and learn to live in my body and like it. Well here I am and once again I can live like this, it rules so many thoughts in my day.

What scares me more than then money or the surgery is .... is this just another "weight" related thing I have tried. I am battling with myself on that one. Will the band be the tool that I have needed all these years, or is it just another thing I try...

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions and thanks again for the support you have shown others, it has been a huge comfort to me.

I was just like you. I had tried every diet out there and got some results, but was completely unable to keep the weight off. Not only would it come back, but it would bring more with it! After doing some research, I decided to meet with my lap band surgeon. I asked questions, got lots of information, and talked to others who had already had the surgery. I felt that gastric bypass was not something that I would consider, but lap band gave me the option that I was looking for.

I had my surgery on Sept 23, 2010. That is the day my life changed. I am now five months out and down 66 lbs. My eating habits have changed. I am exercising. Not only because I should, but because I enjoy it. I can run around my yard and play with my children without passing out. My life has changed and I am loving it. I eat to live now, I don't live to eat.

Now don't get me wrong, this is not an easy journey. Make sure you are ready for the life changes that are coming. You have to be mentally prepared and don't go into this lightly. It could take a while after surgery to reach your sweet spot and to begin losing weight. Just remember that it will get easier! I promise! Stick to what your doctor tells you and you will do great.

For me, a high Protein, low sugar diet is how I am working it. No potatoes, white flour, bread, Pasta, rice. I just can't eat those things (I have insulin resistance bc of PCOS). Just watch the calories and exercise. You can do this!!!

Good luck on your journey and keep us posted!

Thank you for you response! I understand that this is not a magic solution only a tool that might just finally help me achieve a weight loss goal and keep it.

I am nevous and scared and excited all at the same time??

I read so many success stories and I am so happy for all of you with the success, but I also read the people who say after all the money effort they are still right back where they started!! That scares me alot. I am ready to do the work and use the lapband as a tool, but I also am terrified once again I will not succeed.

I am probably not making much sense this early in the morning. But this board is my new coffee time in the morning. I keep reading and reading and hope at some point soon I will just know if this is right for me or not!

I was nervous and scared too. That is to be expected, but the surgery really isn't too bad. It was the gas afterwards that was horrible. I know they try to get as much out as they can, but some always gets left in. It migrated to my shoulders and my neck...Thank God for Gas-X strips!

Looking at some of those posts, you also learn that some of those people just haven't made the changes that they needed to. Not eating right, not exercising. There are those that do have a hard time, but typically that is from some sort of medical condition like PCOS or thyroid problems. If you do what your doctor says but eating right, exercising and getting the fills, you will lose weight. It always surprises me when someone says that I had the surgery but no fills or say I need a fill but am going to wait or that they can't afford it. Then why did you have the surgery in the first place???? The band doesn't work without fills. If you need a fill, get one! Why spend all that money and not put the effort needed into being successful.

Keep positive and just tell yourself that you CAN do this! Don't get discouraged if you don't lose or gain in a week, just know that the next week is a chance to improve. For instance, last week my scale said I had gained 4.5lbs. Now I knew that I had eaten some Valentine's candy, but 4.5lbs worth, no way. I was a little upset, but I knew my body was playing tricks on me. There is no way that I had gained that much. Today when I weighed, I have lost it all back plus 2lbs. Just stay positive and know that you have done something to help you get healthy and to prolong your life. It is a journey. Not just a quick fix.

Good luck. If you have any specific questions, I will be happy to answer!

You are right to question, I think I have been successful because I was mentally ready for this step in my life. I hope you make the right decision for you and best of luck.

Sounds like we have a lot in common, I think I have tried just about all the diets out there too. I manage to lose some and then gain it back, plus a few extra pounds. My last attempt was weight watchers last year, I lost 25 of the many lbs I need to lose,but I have since gained them all back . I'm sure within a 6 month period. I have an appointment with a bariatric surgeon in April. I so hope I am a candidate. I have failed so many times , it is kind of scary.

I have been reading and reading the different posts. I know this is right for me.I can't wait. I realize it will not be easy,but I am so ready to lose the weight once and for all.

Good luck.