Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preop Diet, Not sure if this is right

Hi, Im new. This site was recommended by a friend who had WLS but not the band.

So Im hoping there will be great advice here. Okay so my question is, I just

found out my surgery is on the 28th. Yes one week away, And Ive been told to

eat like I have normally, as in my good healthy food, The day before surgery

eat a normal Breakfast and at noon take 1.5oz of Mag Citrate. Have nothing

but a clear liquid diet for the rest of the day and nothing after midnight

execpt for a tiny sip of Water in the morning to take my one med with. I

have NEVER heard of anything like this. EVeryone always talks about their 1

or 2 week long pre op diet. I always have my questions about the desk staff

at my surgeon's office, and I dont know if I should question this. I like my

surgeon she seems to be very smart, but this duche, yes I said duche, behind

the counter/high and mighty phone answerer Im not sure about....Has anyone

else heard of such a preop diet?

Hey congrats!! I am also having surgery on the 28th. I am in to week 2 of my pre op diet and I lost 8lbs last week. It is basically a liquid diet. My doctor told me the point behind the diet is to basically thin out your liver. Get all the sugar and fat out of your liver so it is like a smooth pancake will make surgery and recovery a lot easier. Since they go in laproscopic they have to lift the liver to get to the stomach and since we are all overweight I am sure most of our livers are nice and fatty, hence the purpose of the pre op diet.

Can you call the doctor and ask to speak to them directly? I would not leave my life in the hands of some duche behind the counter!

That being said there are also a lot of people on here that never did a pre op diet and everything turned out just fine.

Good luck!!!

My surgeon as well doesn't require a pre op diet. She is one of the best in the state and I trust her judgement. You're the 1st that I've heard of that had to do the mag citrate...do you know what its for? You have that right to question why/how your pre op goes. And most surgeries say nothing by mouth after midnight. At least for my knee surgery and my kids tonsilectomy there was no eating after midnight...

Btw...for my sanity, I'm going hi Protein, low fat the week before surgery...can't hurt! :-)

Can you get a nurse on the phone if not the doctor? Mag Citrate is a laxative so it could be they are trying to get as much out of your digestive track as possible. I have read of people taking someting similar prior to surgery. I was loosing weight on my own so my doctor did not give me a presurgery diet other than to stop eating at midnight.

Ive lost about 10 lbs in the last month and about 15 since Christmas, that might be why they didnt ask me to do a preop diet. As far I the Mag citrate is just like the Honk said its to get as much out of the way as possible. I didnt know the preop diet was for reducing the size of the liver, I thought it had something to do with the stomach itself. I really dont like this girl at the desk, and she is really the only one to talk to besides the doctor herself. Like I said I really like to doctor she seems very smart and has a nice long record. I even asked her one time why she has choosen to do WLS and her response was because she knows she is changing peoples live. She gets to see them come into the office and gets to see the outcomes. rather then just fixing someones knee and then never seeing them again. Im pretty restricted on surgeons in my area that does WLS and takes my insurance. I was not wanting to switch but if I did it would have been all because of the receptionist. Ive got a couple of ladies Ive met that see the same doctor and they say the same thing about the one girl. Makes me kinda giggle to myself to think Im not the only one that thinks duche under their breath.

Thank you for the responses.