Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Minimal loose skin - What's the secret?

I have a question - Has anyone found that there's a formula to reducing the amount of sag during weight loss? Water? Exercise? Is age a factor that we can't get around?

Have some of you done all you can but still wound up with sag? Have some of you beat the odds and found tips you can share that proved successful in bringing that loose skin back into reasonable shape?

I want to know before this journey begins so I can hopefully save money and having to go under the knife again.

My guess would be exercise. Slow weight loss also helps with the sag of lack their of, LOL. Not to steal your thread, photonut, but what camera do you use?

I think its almost totally down to good genetics. You cant tone your skin through exercise becuase it works your muscles. It can maybe improve the look of your skin if the muscles underneath your skin are firm. Same deal with increasing the size of your bust through exercise - breast are just fat and glandular tissue. Exercise can also bring more blood to the skin and help to maintain skin health that way but if you're going to get a hanging apron on your belly, you're going to. It also has way more to do with how overweight you were to start with and things like having had babies.

I have to agree with Jachut, its in the genes. After my first baby I got down to 124 and worked out like crazy, especially with my abs but although I could feel that 6 pack under the skin, it still looked like a deflated balloon. Either you have elasticity or not. I know that exercices will minimalize it at least. It does look worse without any muscle tone. What the heck, i'm gonna package it all up and strut around like i have that 18 yr old body again once I lose this weight.

The only way to influence the amount of loose skin you're going to have is to be young when you start losing weight. And have good genes.

Another thing you can do is not mind! We were talking about this in a meeting the other night, and decided spandex was invented for a reason. My loose skin is a reminder of where I came from and I honestly don't mind seeing some in the mirror. It's easy to dress to camouflage it; I'm certainly not going to undergo surgery when long sleeves do the same thing.

I never say never, though; things may change and in 10 years I may feel differently. But loose skin isn't the evil many make it out to be and changes over time anyway. I certainly wouldn't EVER consider surgery on my skin until I'd maintained the weight loss for several years at least. I'm too scared of surgery, in general.

Everyone is different, and it depends on your shape. I carry most of my weight in my belly so I'd have more excess skin there than some one who has it in their hips/butt. Also when I was in my 20's I lost 150 lbs. Now that I'm 41 you can bet my tummy won't go away like it ALMOST did when I was in my 20's. Exercise does play a big part.

Slow weight loss and genetics I think play a big role because you have a lot of people that can exercise their butt off and their skin will not tighten up if their genetic make up makes them prone to losing elasticity. Then again, some people dont even need to exercise, as long as the weight loss is slow and steady their skin would just adjust. Everybody is different.