Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am very confused?

Hello,

My name is Stephanie and I am a 19 year old female that is trying to decide if this is the step I should take to change my life. I recently graduated college with a diploma in Culinary Skills. I know I have a full life ahead of me. I have been overweight since I was 13 and it has been very challenging for me through out my years as growing up overweight in today's youth. I recently discovered that I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and I have had a very recent spell with my high blood pressure. I know I need to lose the weight for myself but with my family constantly telling me to keep doing what I am trying is discouraging me. I have been trying to lose weight I just end up gaining it right back. When I was 13, I was told that I had a thyroid issue that was causing me to one min lose weigh then get it right back. At 15, I was taken off the medication, finally fixing that problem.

A few days ago I starting thinking about getting the lap band surgery. I know that I am ready to change my life for the better because at 19 I should not have all these issues and it is not going to get better unless I change myself and my bad habits. Also, I want to go back to school feeling good about myself like I should and I want to eventually get married, after I start my career (lol) and have children. Now I understand unless I lose this weight the children possibility has drastically decreased. I told my mother that I was thinking about talking to my doctor about it and she was behind me 100 percent, now the rest of the family not so much. Everyone says that you should just work out/exercise and change my habits. It makes me so mad because I have tried that countless times and it has not worked. They do not understand how it feels to keep trying diet after diet and it not working. I just want to fix me.

Any advice would be helpful as this issue is hard to go through almost feeling like you are alone(except for my mother).

Hello,

My name is Stephanie and I am a 19 year old female that is trying to decide if this is the step I should take to change my life. I recently graduated college with a diploma in Culinary Skills. I know I have a full life ahead of me. I have been overweight since I was 13 and it has been very challenging for me through out my years as growing up overweight in today's youth. I recently discovered that I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and I have had a very recent spell with my high blood pressure. I know I need to lose the weight for myself but with my family constantly telling me to keep doing what I am trying is discouraging me. I have been trying to lose weight I just end up gaining it right back. When I was 13, I was told that I had a thyroid issue that was causing me to one min lose weigh then get it right back. At 15, I was taken off the medication, finally fixing that problem.

A few days ago I starting thinking about getting the lap band surgery. I know that I am ready to change my life for the better because at 19 I should not have all these issues and it is not going to get better unless I change myself and my bad habits. Also, I want to go back to school feeling good about myself like I should and I want to eventually get married, after I start my career (lol) and have children. Now I understand unless I lose this weight the children possibility has drastically decreased. I told my mother that I was thinking about talking to my doctor about it and she was behind me 100 percent, now the rest of the family not so much. Everyone says that you should just work out/exercise and change my habits. It makes me so mad because I have tried that countless times and it has not worked. They do not understand how it feels to keep trying diet after diet and it not working. I just want to fix me.

Any advice would be helpful as this issue is hard to go through almost feeling like you are alone(except for my mother).

Hi, Stephanie!

Find yourself a good, reputable bariatric surgeon. You should know that you have to go through quite a bit of health clearance, including a psych clearance to be approved. You also have to be at a certain level BMI (each insurance is a little different). The last issue is your age. I cannot say whether or not a surgeon would do the surgery on someone so young, but that would really be between you and your Doctor. You won't know until you begin to seriously pursue this issue.

I wish you the very best!

Hello,

Pursue this. Really, do it for yourself.

If this surgery would have been available to me 30 years ago it would have been a life changer.

Attend a seminar to get more information. Look for a "Center of Excellence" if you live near one (a surgical practice where the doctor, and all the support programs are available) and make an appointment. Check it out.

I'm three years post surgery and have achieved a slow but steady successful weightloss for the first time in my life ... for the rest of my life.

I am lucky, the surgery was a road to weightloss that allowed me to reverse some big-deal health problems. I'm thin and healthy, I move better. I had an idea of what weight loss would mean to me but I was truly clueless as to how it really can change your life on every level. I would want, how great this feels, for everybody.

You are a young person with an opportunity to avoid some health problems and to protect your future health in ways you can't even begin to imagine. AND! to slip into skinny jeans!

All the best to you in your decision.