Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet Serious Help Needed

Hi All..

My surgery is scheduled for March 1 and my Dr prescribed the 2 week liquid diet as 4-6 Protein Shakes a day, sugar free jello/pudding, broth, and all sugar free drinks...for the shakes portion he suggested slimfast. So here I am, I decided to start the diet this past monday instead of tuesday just to give me a head start, by Monday afternoon I felt like death. The slimfast shakes are not only disgusting but are not filling at all. I started reading the posts on here when it came to other peoples' pre-op diets and became so frustrated with mine that I called my drs office and told them I have to have some type of nourishment (i.e. food) even if its egg whites and vegetables for one of the meals. Of course, my nutritionist recommended against it but said that I was on the right track in terms of what I was planning on replacing it with IF i decided to go that route.

After reading all the posts on here, I am a little overwhelmed with some of the Protein products that have been suggested as I am completely clueless on how to go about even picking something to make my attempt to sticking to this easier....I know I know that after surgery we are all going WEEKS with this type of diet plan and if I can't get through it now how am I going to get through it afterward? well let me say this, for the surgery, I have quit smoking after being a smoker for the last 20 years without so much as going more than a few hours without a cigarette, quit drinking socially and now quit completely eating 2 weeks prior to never being able to ever eat the same again?

I am having a hard time and could really use some help/guidance here.....

thanks in advance..

Hi Yannabee,

I was on the same pre-op diet. I'm not a fan of drinking my calories. So instead of skim milk, I had 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese or greek yogurt. I also added egg whites during the preop diet.

If you go to GNC, the ppl there can really help find a Protein shake that is tasty. I'm using Amplify by GNC. My doc wanted me to drink under 200 cals and 20grams of Protein in each shake. A lot of ppl on here like Muscle Milk Light.

Hang in there. Each day will get better. The first few days I felt cranky and weak and then got used to the diet.

Hi All..

My surgery is scheduled for March 1 and my Dr prescribed the 2 week liquid diet as 4-6 Protein shakes a day, sugar free jello/pudding, broth, and all sugar free drinks...for the shakes portion he suggested slimfast. So here I am, I decided to start the diet this past monday instead of tuesday just to give me a head start, by Monday afternoon I felt like death. The slimfast shakes are not only disgusting but are not filling at all. I started reading the posts on here when it came to other peoples' pre-op diets and became so frustrated with mine that I called my drs office and told them I have to have some type of nourishment (i.e. food) even if its egg whites and vegetables for one of the meals. Of course, my nutritionist recommended against it but said that I was on the right track in terms of what I was planning on replacing it with IF i decided to go that route.

After reading all the posts on here, I am a little overwhelmed with some of the protein products that have been suggested as I am completely clueless on how to go about even picking something to make my attempt to sticking to this easier....I know I know that after surgery we are all going WEEKS with this type of diet plan and if I can't get through it now how am I going to get through it afterward? well let me say this, for the surgery, I have quit smoking after being a smoker for the last 20 years without so much as going more than a few hours without a cigarette, quit drinking socially and now quit completely eating 2 weeks prior to never being able to ever eat the same again?

thanks in advance..

Hi All..

My surgery is scheduled for March 1 and my Dr prescribed the 2 week liquid diet as 4-6 Protein shakes a day, sugar free jello/pudding, broth, and all sugar free drinks...for the shakes portion he suggested slimfast. So here I am, I decided to start the diet this past monday instead of tuesday just to give me a head start, by Monday afternoon I felt like death. The slimfast shakes are not only disgusting but are not filling at all. I started reading the posts on here when it came to other peoples' pre-op diets and became so frustrated with mine that I called my drs office and told them I have to have some type of nourishment (i.e. food) even if its egg whites and vegetables for one of the meals. Of course, my nutritionist recommended against it but said that I was on the right track in terms of what I was planning on replacing it with IF i decided to go that route.

After reading all the posts on here, I am a little overwhelmed with some of the Protein products that have been suggested as I am completely clueless on how to go about even picking something to make my attempt to sticking to this easier....I know I know that after surgery we are all going WEEKS with this type of diet plan and if I can't get through it now how am I going to get through it afterward? well let me say this, for the surgery, I have quit smoking after being a smoker for the last 20 years without so much as going more than a few hours without a cigarette, quit drinking socially and now quit completely eating 2 weeks prior to never being able to ever eat the same again?

thanks in advance..

Best of luck to you....you made it this far. I agree that we all go through the cranky phase when starting the pre-op diet. A protien shake product that I use is called unjury. They have a website too. The product has been a life saver. One scoop of the product provides 20 gms of protien. They have chocolate, vanilla, strawberry sorbet, chicken Soup and they aren't that bad. They have helped me to feel full longer. I too am in the pre-op phase and am having surgery on 2/23.

Hope that helps a little. Hang in there.:)

I second (or third) the suggestion that you go with a higher Protein shake than SlimFast. GNC should have them, but even just reading the labels at your local Walmart (or wherever) should help you find something higher. I liked the carb control EAS or the cookies-and-cream Pure Protein shakes. Those are both still fairly low in protein though.

Keep in mind that the first two or three days on the liquid diet are the worst. Your stomach will "shrink" pretty quickly though and if you can tough it out for a couple of days it will get easier.

Thanks for the post and all the suggestions...I am starting my prep-op diet Tuesday 2/23/2011. I have the same concerns and the suggestions given are good to have ahead of time.

I will keep you all posted...

Best wishes on your journey!

I hear you, it is difficult if this is the first time you've done something like this. I did a medically supervised diet a few years ago that had a "detox" phase at the start that was very similar... nothing but shakes and a small dinner for the first few weeks.

I think the trick is finding a shake that both tastes good and will fill you up. If you can nail that part, the rest of it gets a little easier. Yes, you do still miss eating full meals, but its in those moments that you need to remember why you're doing this... you do need to make some sacrifices if you want this to work.

I am in the same boat. I started the liquid diet Friday...it's only Sunday and I've been hungry and emotional! Ugh. I think the liquid diet has made this whole process real and I'm having to deal with emotional issues dealing with food. It helped somewhat today to buy yogurts, puddings, and caffeine-free teas and now I think I can make it through these weeks. Hang in there! Good thing this site is here for support...just reading that others are going or have gone through this is comforting :)

I normally go to Vitamin Shoppe since I find they have better pricing. A place like GNC or Vitamin Shoppe will normally have workers who can tell you popular flavors. Also my doctor requires whey isolate powder. Not all whey Protein is created equal so you need to confirm that you are getting isolate. It is more expensive but it's easier for your body to digest. For brands I buy Dymatize Gourmet vanilla and Gold Standard Double chocolate.

I agree that if you were getting more Protein you would feel better. The protein I use is about 24 g protein, and the fat free milk adds another 10 g. That is going to be wayyy more then the slimfast. Personally if I could'nt do the doctors slimfast plan I would feel better about doing whey isolate shakes then a high prtein solid food meals. Just my opinion I am not a doctor.

I also like Premier brand Ready to Drink from Costco: 160 cal. 30 g protein.

hey everyone!

Thanks for all of your posts and encouragement..I must say i was extremely down when I posted this and have since not only found a shake that I loooooove (muscle milk is AWESOME) but have also got past the 3 day miserable feeling!!!! I am finding it a little easier since I am still incorporating one high Protein meal into this plan with plans on full liquids beginning 5 days before surgery but I am happier now that I found one shake that I really like!!!! thanks for everything!

You can do this!! I'm in day 7 of pre-op with only liquid Protein Shakes, no pudding no Jello no broth.

The first few days are the hardest because of the fatigue and carb headaches but it gets easier. Muscle milk lite is a great tasting shake and the Atkins shakes aren't so bad either. These drinks definitely aren't our milk or chocolate milkshake flavors, but they could be worse! I have to say that I slept a lot in the first few days, and luckily my family and my husband was very understanding. I'm drinking: strawberry atkins, muscle milk lite, and generic brand of slimfast low carb. You can do it you can do it!

You can do this!! I'm in day 7 of pre-op with only liquid Protein shakes, no pudding no Jello no broth.

The first few days are the hardest because of the fatigue and carb headaches but it gets easier. Muscle milk lite is a great tasting shake and the Atkins shakes aren't so bad either. These drinks definitely aren't our milk or chocolate milkshake flavors, but they could be worse! I have to say that I slept a lot in the first few days, and luckily my family and my husband was very understanding. I'm drinking: strawberry atkins, muscle milk lite, and generic brand of slimfast low carb. You can do it you can do it!

[/quo

ugh!!! I completely lost it guys! I have incorporated one Protein meal into my liquid diet but as of tomorrow, I am going to go back to completely liquids because im getting nervous since my surgery is march 1. i feel terrible!!!! I really wanted to have one big meal but i guess that's not to be this diet sucks!!!! i hope it gets better post op.:unsure: