Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So very frustrated about the cost....

Hey all... So I just wanted to vent a bit about my emotional struggle lol... I have been looking into the LapBand for a while now, a little over a year, and the last couple months Ive gotten serious about it.... Went to the Dr. and got a packet and got so excited. My best friend got it done and she looks great, and she's doing fine on the payments. My insurance will not cover the surgery, which sucks, but meh, I was willing to pay the monthly payments for this life change. I was scanning through the pamplet for the loan company who finances the surgery and WOW. The interest rate is insanely high... My excitement started to turn into dissapointment. My husband keeps telling me that we'll find a way to do it somehow.... Does anyone know if you have someone co-sign with you on your loan if it lowers the payments or rate at all? My mom is willing to do that... Sorry I know this is me babbling, but I needed some support... Thanks for listening.... Kayla

Usually on any loan when you have a co-signer that has great credit you'll get a better price. Maybe you should look into taking a loan out from a credit union, they usually have better rates.

I would look into a credit union; they are easier to get into than they used to be. Not that I recommend it but would it be possible to get a home equity loan?

Yea I did that at first, CareCredit or something... I actually had to apply and my parents we both took a chunk, because neither of us could get enough credit to cover the entire thing. But I actually had to get a new health insurance company anyways (mine was expiring) so I just signed up for a PPO and they covered it. It's about $450 a month.. but mind as well get insurance at the same time. Still have to pay about $3,000 in co-pay for the surgery.. but it's still less.

I dunno if you can just get a "loan" for this, the thing they had me sign up for was like a medical bill credit card.

Thank you all so much, this has definitely helped... Ive looked into some credit unions and they recommended their signature loans, but you can only get signature loans for $5,000..Lame lol. But Im still looking. Thank you :) And Dave, I have looked into Mexico a bit, still deciding. Thanks!

I applied for a personal loan at my credit union here in Canada. I explained what it was for. Because I do have RRSP's with them and have shown good credit, I was able to get an unsecured loan over 3 years. I plan on paying it back sooner though.

I too am travelling to Mexico for a more economical surgery and not having to wait a long period of time on a wait-list.

I'm lying in my hospital be now. The surgery was yesterday. My surgeon is Dr. Lopez Corvala. This hospital is immaculate. I have surprizingly little pain going. But I'm absolutely starving!

Came to Mexico to avoid the ridiculous US charges. Think I'll keep the extra 15k I saved and try to find a doctor whose having hard times and by their 5th spare boat from them!

Hey all... So I just wanted to vent a bit about my emotional struggle lol... I have been looking into the LapBand for a while now, a little over a year, and the last couple months Ive gotten serious about it.... Went to the Dr. and got a packet and got so excited. My best friend got it done and she looks great, and she's doing fine on the payments. My insurance will not cover the surgery, which sucks, but meh, I was willing to pay the monthly payments for this life change. I was scanning through the pamplet for the loan company who finances the surgery and WOW. The interest rate is insanely high... My excitement started to turn into dissapointment. My husband keeps telling me that we'll find a way to do it somehow.... Does anyone know if you have someone co-sign with you on your loan if it lowers the payments or rate at all? My mom is willing to do that... Sorry I know this is me babbling, but I needed some support... Thanks for listening.... Kayla

The cost in the U.S. is certainly riduculous! I got banded yesterday. I'm in my hospital bed recovering right now. Im in Tijuana! Something I said I'd never do! But the hospital is immaculate and the staff have been wonderful. The doctors have been very professional as well. My doctor is Dr. Corvala, the hospital is Hospital Angeles; about 25 minutes from the San Diego airport. Drop me a personal note and I will tell you more if you are so inclined.

My total cost is 5000. They did have to repair a haital hernia too. I don't know if there will be an extra charge for that. I will find out when I check out tomorrow.

Best of luck!

Thomas

You could also check into a 401K loan if you or your spouse has one. The interest on those are very, very low.

I know I looked at CareCredit at first and sometimes they offer the first 6,12, or 18 months with no interest. You might ask about that. That would at least give you some time to pay towards the principle before the interest starts kicking in.

Another thing, just keep checking with different surgeons. We actually have one in my area that will do the band for $8900 in Mexico. That includes your plain ticket, all hospital charges and hotel accomodations plus one year of fills.

You could also check into a 401K loan if you or your spouse has one. The interest on those are very, very low.

I know I looked at CareCredit at first and sometimes they offer the first 6,12, or 18 months with no interest. You might ask about that. That would at least give you some time to pay towards the principle before the interest starts kicking in.

Another thing, just keep checking with different surgeons. We actually have one in my area that will do the band for $8900 in Mexico. That includes your plain ticket, all hospital charges and hotel accomodations plus one year of fills.

Lab Band is $9900 here in Houston TX which includes one year of fills!