Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little nervous and excited

Well, tomorrow @ 10:15a ET, I have my initial consultation. I will not lie, I am both nervous and excited!! I have 2 friends that have recently had the procedure, September and January, and they both are glad they did it and are having very good results!! I have encountered a little bump in the road though. I was diagnosed with breast cancer after my first mammogram 10/2008 when I was 40 (early detection and awareness truly are key). Knock on wood, so far so good, but I found a small lump on the same side, so far they are telling me it is either scar tissue or an infection, so I am on antibiotics for a week, but I am not letting this get in the way of my consultation tomorrow!!

I am a 44 yr old female, wife and mother, been on a diet since I was 11 yrs old, literally!! Enough is enough, oh, I also found out in November that I am borderline diabetic!! The surgeon I have chosen said most people that have the procedure and lose weight go off alot of the meds they are taking for different ailments, fingers are crossed!!

Thanks all!!

Michelle

I'm new here, too but I read your post and had to say hello. I am also a cancer survivor (6 years out from Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma) and a wife and mother who has been dieting since I was a pre-teen. I have Humana insurance and they require a six month pre-op nutrition counseling before surgery, which I just finished last month. My surgery is next Monday and I am very excited. Looking forward to hearing about your consultation!

BTW, I have lost 28 pounds pre-operatively and it did not affect my ability to get surgery, so start now!

Hello I'm new here also and wanted to say hi and wish you the best of luck. I had Melanoma about 6 years ago as well. I have only just gone to the initial seminar at Cedars Sinai here in Los Angeles California. My first consultation is March 10th. I am also a female but a little older just turned 45. I have been heavy myself most of my life, I have tried the Weight Watchers and Nutri Systems and many other diets and have lost a little weight but never all of it except for once. The one time I lost alot of weight, my son was 7 and diagnosed with Diabetes. At the time I weighed 256lbs on 9/1/99 by Feb 13th of 2000 my family forced me to go to my doctor because I had lost weight (turns out I was down to 141) my hair was falling out and I was having heart palpatations. I was extremely depressed over my sons illness and everytime I tried to eat after only a few bites I would throw everything up. I got down to about 121lbs and stayed there for about 3 years but I never really learned good eating habits or choices. Now I'm back up and heavier than I have ever been 272lbs and I want to be healthier and have a happier life. My son is 18 and I have decieded that its now time for me to focus on me again.

I am scared and nervous but I am going to do what I have to do to change my life style to improve my life.