Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

600 surgeries

Does a surgeon doing 600 band surgeries considered a qualified surgeon. I keep going back and forth wondering if this is a good number or should I seek a surgeon who has done more?

It's hard to say but did they finish medical school and start immediately with lap band surgery? Or had they been practicing for 10 years before starting bariactrics. Clearly in the second scenario the doctor has a lot more general experience.

The dr started as a general surgeon and than went into a fellowship where she focused on barisctrics surgery and was a founder of something called the rose procedure.

If possible..... see if either of them are chief or assistant chief surgeons. Or if they are with a CENTER OF EXCELLENCE! If so lean twords that direction.

Shirley

10/31/2006

Dr. Jeffrey Genaw "CHIEF BARIATRIC SURGEON"

Henry Ford Hospital "CENTER OF EXCELLENCE"

Michigan.

Does a surgeon doing 600 band surgeries considered a qualified surgeon. I keep going back and forth wondering if this is a good number or should I seek a surgeon who has done more?

make sure hes board certified

My surgeon has performed over 4000 lap band surgeries and is considered one of the best in the country. You can gauge yours maybe on this info...

Yea, Center of Excellence. Have it at a hospital not a surgery center. Ultimately, I'd just make sure you feel comfortable with your surgeon. It's a fairly simple procedure.. You want bariatric surgery to be their main practice. So they know what to expect, how to do fills properly, they know about nutriton etc...

I have to add that in regards to the surgery you want the best you can get. After the surgery is over however I think most people don't see their surgeon again. I know I have'nt seen him since 2 weeks after surgery. I only see the nurse practioners for fills, and they are not done with fluro either. In regards to nutrition my doctor and the nutrionist actually don't agree on some things which is a little frustrating. While he is a doctor I wonder if she actually spent more time studying nutrition then he did. For example my doctor likes the HMR 500 calorie diet. That's right 500 calories a day from 5 shakes made with Water. NOTHING else. And he puts people on this diet to prepare or surgery if they are larger (over 300 pounds); for MONTHS (one guy I knew for like 4 months). Neither the nurses or the Nuts. like this diet.

Anyway. My point is find the best surgeon you can. However you must also like his staff because they are the ones you'll be working with closely for months. In my situation it was 8.5 months from consult to surgery; and I am still getting fills 6 months out.