Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here. Needing support.

This website is a sign from God for me. I am greatful for the openness everyone here shares.

I will be banded on January 25th. I had an appointment for gastric bypass (roux en Y) but chickened out because of all the risks and internal disfigurement. I need to be a mom to my kids. How long will I be "out of commission" after having the lap band procedure?

Thanks for all input.

Dar:)

A few days at the longest. You'll be sore for a week or so but back to hugging those kids within hours. No lifting for a little while though.

Welcome to LBT

Debbydo

Don't be shy, join a challenge or two or three. ANyone can play along.

Welcome to LBT! I think you made a wise decision. I was up moving around doing for myself the day after surgery, but everyone is different. Good luck, and keep us posted.:)

I have so many questions. Can you see the port thru your skin? Is it painful when they refill it? When can you eat 'regular' foods?

I should mention I am incredibly inspired by your tickers.

Dar.

I can feel my port through my skin but not see it. It isnt painful when I get fills (had one yesterday) the dr numbs it first. I went to mushy foods at 2 weeks and regular foods at 4 weekd post op but wasnt hungry for food at all until about 6 weeks after surgery. I chose this surgery because I have 2 kids and had to be a mom for my boys as well. I needed less invasive and quick recovery. I am a stay at home mom and was back to my normal routine withing 3 days of surgery. Even sent my husband back to work then because he was driving me nuts!

Hi Dar, I too was grateful to find this site. I am a newbie, having been banded on 12-1-05. I live in Grand Blanc, Michigan, just out of Flint. I had my surgery done at the Barix Clinic in Ypsilanti. I spent 24 hours in hospital and came home on a Friday and by Monday didn't need to take the pain meds they sent me home with. :cheeky . I went back to work 12 dyas later. Still a bit sore, but feeling well. I feel great now, and have lost 15 pounds that will never come back onto this body. I have my first fill on 1-10-06 and looking forward to that. I had the surgery for many of the same reasons you did. I also have two kids and need to be a mom for many years to come. This is an awesome site and there are many more. Where are you having your surgery? Take care! Criss

Dar, have you seen the Before/After picture thread? It's a Sticky (at the top of the list) in the General Discussion Forum. Go see!

My son was 2 and still in the crib when I had my surgery and I needed help with him the first week. Too big to lift and too little not to have to! He'd be so much easier to handle now at almost 3 than back then. Amazing what a few months will do for a child.

Anyhow, I can feel my port under my skin, it's round and smooth and hard. Pretty neat. Fills don't hurt. Maybe sore is a better word but it's not really even that. No biggie on fills.

You can eat regular foods pretty soon. Once you get to full liquids, after a week or two (depending on your doc) it gets much much easier. I had a rough first two weeks and had a hard time getting my fluids in. I was super tight post-op. Most folks aren't so leave it to me to have trouble, right? It was awful at the time but now...I guess if I had to do it again I'd handle it better. Perspective is everything.

No regrets. I love my band. Good luck! Welcome to LBT!

Hi, Dar! I just want to say hi and welcome you! EVeryone else has already given you some good starting points. See ya on the boards! Cindy

Criss,

I too, will be banded at the Barix Clinic in Ypsilanti. Looking very forward to starting a new life.

Thanks for all the responses. I did check out the before and after photos. Incredible. With all of you sharing so much of your personal stories, I feel like I know what I'm headed for. That type of support is priceless. Thank you does not say enough.

Dar.

Hi Dar and welcome to LBT..you have come to the right place for support. We are like on big extended happy family here. Lots of love around this place.

As for me I felt great the day after surgery but as others have said we all are different. I was able to feel my port under my skin if I was to push down on it..it did not stick out or anything. Every doctor has their own post op diet they want you to follow so when you are able to eat solids is up to your doctor but I can not imagine it being longet then 3 weeks. Most have 1-2 weeks of liquids then a week of mushy foods then onto solid foods.

Best of luck to you ;)

I think you made the right decision, if that makes you feel any better, LOL.

I had surgery Monday AM, home on Tuesday, Wednesday, drove to grocery store, Thursday, stopped by the office for a few hours. No wonder this has been changed to a "day" type surgery. You'll breeze through. Good Luck!

Hi And Welcome,

I Just Wanted To Let You Know That I Was One Of The People That Took A Couple Of Weeks To Heal And To Feel Back To Normal. I Had Esophageal Spasms After My Surgery That Also Made Me A Bit Nervous But Thank Goodness Those Passed. I Can Feel My Port But Its Not Visible. I Dont Think Fills Are Painfull. Just A Little Pinch And Burn And Its Over In A Couple Of Minutes.

I Haven't Pb'd Ever. I Try To Listen To My Body And As Soon As I Start To Feel Full I Stop Eating. At The Most I Feel Discomfort And Sometimes A Little Pain If I Overeat But If I Stop It Passes. So Far Since 9/19 I'm Down 34 Pounds And I Am Oh So Happy With That. I Love This Band - I Would Be Very Upset If I Had To Remove It. It's Such A Great Tool. Good Luck To You. The Anticipation Is Worse Than The Experience. Most People Are Pleasantly Surprised.

Welcome Dar & Criss! Nice to meet you both! I wasn't able to feel my port until this last month (almost a year after surgery). Fills don't hurt me. It's more like a discomfort. Keep us posted!