Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared unsure, scheduled for Wed. 2/16

This is my first post and hopefully not the last!

I just found out yesterday 2/9 I've been approved and scheduled for 2/16 wow!

I've been anywhere from 20lbs to 110 lbs over weight for the past 23 years, 50-110lbs over weight the past 15 years and it's created back problems on and off for a long long time. I've tried everything possible to lose the weight, I was successful yet repeatedly failed to maintain the weight loss. I just feel that the lapband is such a severe step and why do I need to take such a drastic step for weightloss? However, one of my major motivations is to not allow myself to end up like my mother who's been over weight the past 40 years and is now experiencing physical problems with her knees, feet and hip. I would also like to add that I have two young children who are very athletic and my goal is to be very active with them. With my current weight of 292 (5'8") it's extremely difficult to keep up. I was extremely active my entire life, I played college football and baseball I skied for 20 years, I used to jog 5 miles a day, but right now I can barely walk around the block without back spasms, very depressing. I hope this works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand your apprehensions! It took me well over a year to finally get my surgery date because I was so undecided and my thinking was along the same lines. What changed my mind was by the time I'd finally gotten my date- I had gained more weight. This brought me to realize there was no way I was ever going to lose weight and get rid of my knee/back/ankle pains and lack of ability to walk long distances UNLESS I followed through. I was just so afraid that I wouldn't wake up from being put under. I came to find my peace and accepted that if God wanted me to come home than His will be done. . .and I moved forward with the surgery.

My weight loss has been very, very slow compared to many other people, but I have done this to myself. I spent so many of my young years starving myself that I taught my body well how to store fat. When I got older and ate like a horse- I put on pound after pound. Now that I'm eating very little, my body has gone back to starvation mode and is holding onto the fat for dear life. I don't say this to discourage you, only to demonstrate that your past behaviors can bite you in the butt when it comes to weight loss. In time, my body will learn it IS being fed and will stop storing the fat.

Ultimately the decision is yours but I must say, even though my weight loss has been very slow, it is still one of the BEST things I've ever done (preceded only by my marriage to my husband and having my beautiful children).

I wish you the very, very best!

thanks for the reply, I'm going to go through with it, but I can't stop questioning my decision. I've never really starved myself I've always done the Atkins or some version of it. I can put the weight off on a low carb diet but the kicker is staying on such a diet. My eating habits are horrible, I rarely eat Breakfast, I eat a snack for lunch and don't eat dinner until very late at night. I know I'm going to have to get organized any suggestions on how to write a good journal?

The key is as you mentioned staying on a super restrictive diet forever. It sounds like you have lost weight only to regain it. I had to wait 7.5 months from my first meeting at the surgeon's to having surgery. I hate waiting! But at least I knew that the 50 pounds I lost were going to be forever. Some people need open heart surgery, hip replacements, or insulin pumps. We need a stop button for our stomachs. I was born without one.

it's been a long process, I went to a seminar a year ago and met with the doctors I was at 40bmi so I didn't qualify. I walked out feeling humuliated and frustrated. I figure there must have been a reason I didn't qualify so I was ready to give up hope. My personal doctor and friend said to go back and double check he feels it's the right choice for me since he's seen my transformation from a very athletic person to an overweight person. I went back in November so it's taken about 3.5-4 months. I'm still so reluctant I'm over weight but I don't necessarily look real bad and many patients I've seen at the doctors office appear to be much more severe then myself. I sure hope this is the right move.

I am scheduled for surgery on the 16th as well. as of yet im not scared or nervous but thats my usual M.O. I have had an battle with weight for about 15 years now i am having the problems with my knees and the pain in my back and joints, which at this point we are no even sure it will go away after the weight loss but I am willing to try. the reason why i chose the lapband was for the sheer reason that its not permanent and the recovery is ALOT faster. I am doing it for my health and so I can be more active with my family. It pains me that my family has to sy we can go do this cause mommy can walk for a long time or whatever. I need this for me, I need to function more and be more active. This is what keeps me going and what makes me know my decision is solid. I know the waffle syndrome as i call it where i go back and forth on should or shouldnts but at this point I havent had the problem yet but it may happend ive been know to feel that RIGHT before im about to do something. I am glad I have a strong support system my husband is my rock in everything, and my mom has chosen to fly down here to support me and the few friends that i have told have supported me fully! I feel amazing and ready to jump in. I wish you luck on your journey I know its hard but the decision you have made is life changing and never take it for granted but we will feel and look amazign when our journey is over! congrats!

THISMUMROCKS, Wow thank you, your words definitely reaffirmed my choice.. The Waffle syndrome is crazy it's either by the our or minute I go back and forth..

THISMUMROCKS, Wow thank you, your words definitely reaffirmed my choice.. The Waffle syndrome is crazy it's either by the our or minute I go back and forth..

[/quote

Im glad I could help, if you need anything let e know, are you on the liquid diet? that has been a giant struggle for me, just the frustration part. IDK every surgeon is different tho.

they called yesterday and said I need to start the stage 2 from now till my surgery on Wed. I'll try but I didn't even think about it this morning and had some eggs. A nurse in the office said no biggie she even said I can eat just a little but make sure I go very light this weekend and to follow the directions strictly the 24 hours before. I called a friend of mine who was banded and he had eaten the weekend before his surgery and he was ok. He had a lot more weight to lose then myself. I'm dreading the 2 week liquid diet, he was honest with me and said that was difficult..

I'm so glad I found this chat site and that I can relate to all of fears and apprehensions because I felt the same way. I know it will take some time. But its encouraging to know that I have a group of people that I can rely on for support!! Congrats for those who have already gone thru the process and for those who intending to good luck!smile.gif

I was just cleared for surgery by my dietician on monday (after 6 months of visits) and was told that if I do not lost 14 more lbs by the time I have a surgery date (which I should know within the next two weeks or so, I would hope) then I would need to go on a 2 week liquid diet before surgery. While I don't like the idea, I think that it's a good form of discipline, which I am severely lacking. I have managed to lose 8lbs in the last couple of weeks, but I always seem to feel that I should reward myself and give myself a break from the hard work... and then I rebound. It's taken me a long time to correc this behavior. I am so scared of my liver not having shrunk enough for surgery that I think I would benefit from having to consume strictly liquids for 2 weeks - both mentally and physically.

I have been looking into the lap band for a long time as well, since Sept 2009, but every time I step on that scale, and every time I'm chasing my 3 and 1 year olds, I am only reassured that this is the right choice. I can't wait for the day my feet, knees, and back don't ache after a day of playing with the kids.

Good luck on your journey! I know I'm eager to start mine!!

Good Luck on your surgery. You got approved really fast and maybe that is why you are panicking. You probably thought you had more time to get used to the idea. Don't go nuts or eat inappropriate food right now, you need to be in tip top shape to have a good surgery. I am waiting to be approved and I think I will have a few weeks to do a low fat, low carb diet to prepare for surgery. I am scared of anesthesia and being in the hospital, but I know I am doing the right thing. Keep thinking how great it is going to be for you when the weight starts dropping off. Even living with all the restrictions, ie. no soda, no drinking with a straw, all the food restrictions, it is still worth it. Being healthy and happy is so much more important than all the things we are giving up. Dont let anyone think you are taking the lazy way out. This whole process takes alot of bravery and courage. Good luck and God Bless!!

Erin

This is my first post and hopefully not the last!

I just found out yesterday 2/9 I've been approved and scheduled for 2/16 wow!

I've been anywhere from 20lbs to 110 lbs over weight for the past 23 years, 50-110lbs over weight the past 15 years and it's created back problems on and off for a long long time. I've tried everything possible to lose the weight, I was successful yet repeatedly failed to maintain the weight loss. I just feel that the lapband is such a severe step and why do I need to take such a drastic step for weightloss? However, one of my major motivations is to not allow myself to end up like my mother who's been over weight the past 40 years and is now experiencing physical problems with her knees, feet and hip. I would also like to add that I have two young children who are very athletic and my goal is to be very active with them. With my current weight of 292 (5'8") it's extremely difficult to keep up. I was extremely active my entire life, I played college football and baseball I skied for 20 years, I used to jog 5 miles a day, but right now I can barely walk around the block without back spasms, very depressing. I hope this works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the reply, I'm going to go through with it, but I can't stop questioning my decision. I've never really starved myself I've always done the Atkins or some version of it. I can put the weight off on a low carb diet but the kicker is staying on such a diet. My eating habits are horrible, I rarely eat Breakfast, I eat a snack for lunch and don't eat dinner until very late at night. I know I'm going to have to get organized any suggestions on how to write a good journal?

YES!!!!! Go to fitday.com- I LOVE IT! Just about every food you can think of AND it's nutritional information is there! If it isn't, you can customize food (put in your own name/nutritional info). It keeps track of everything: calories, fat, carbs, Protein, even exercise and how many calories you've burned in comparison to calories taken in! It might sound a bit daunting but it really is easy! I started it 3 days ago and have lost 2 pounds just by monitoring my intake!

I wanted to tell you also, please, please, please be sure you follow your doctors pre-op diet. It is difficult to do but it is important; 1- so your liver will lose weight and not get in the way of the surgery and get nicked, 2- to helpyou heal and get through the surgery FAR easier than if you don't follow the diet. It was extremely difficult for me to do the liquid part! I used to use a diet called Medifast where all you did was drink 5 shakes a day- so that is what I did. This way I had all my Protein. But i ate Tomato Soups and broths too. I lost 6# pre-op. . . .goes to show you how slowly I lose weight.

Anyhow- please don't hesitate to contact me if you have anymore questions or worries! :)

YES!!!!! Go to fitday.com- I LOVE IT! Just about every food you can think of AND it's nutritional information is there! If it isn't, you can customize food (put in your own name/nutritional info). It keeps track of everything: calories, fat, carbs, Protein, even exercise and how many calories you've burned in comparison to calories taken in! It might sound a bit daunting but it really is easy! I started it 3 days ago and have lost 2 pounds just by monitoring my intake!

I wanted to tell you also, please, please, please be sure you follow your doctors pre-op diet. It is difficult to do but it is important; 1- so your liver will lose weight and not get in the way of the surgery and get nicked, 2- to helpyou heal and get through the surgery FAR easier than if you don't follow the diet. It was extremely difficult for me to do the liquid part! I used to use a diet called Medifast where all you did was drink 5 shakes a day- so that is what I did. This way I had all my Protein. But i ate Tomato Soups and broths too. I lost 6# pre-op. . . .goes to show you how slowly I lose weight.

Anyhow- please don't hesitate to contact me if you have anymore questions or worries! :)

Thanks for the tip on Fitday! I'm doing the Protein Shakes, Soup, cottage cheese etc.. but I am going to slip a little tomorrow night with a few drinks. We're also going out to dinner so I'll try to have a Soup. We've been planning this night out and concert for a long long time and didn't think surgery would happen before. The nurse at the doctors office said not to tell the doctor but that I will be fine.

Bruinfan, you should be fine as long as you get back to the liquids 24 hours before your surgery date. some surgeons say a light breakfast and then liquids up until the night and then at least 8-12 hours NPO before surgery. Good luck