Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Weeks post op...Doing great....BUT.....

Hey everyone-

I wanted to take a few and share my frustration. I am 3 weeks post-banding, and everything has gone absolutely great. The only problem I have experienced the entire time was when the gas had to make it's way out of my system 48 hours after the surgery. I've dropped about 20 pounds since the surgery (Although I probably havent dropped much at all over the last 7-10 days), and I've lost a total of 45 pounds including pre-op diet to be down just below 240 pounds and I am now feeling healthy, slim, and good. I can squeeze into size 36 Jeans and feel as healthy as I ever have. I saw my primary yesterday, and for all intents and purposes the HBP and Diabetes I had 2 months ago are now effectively gone! Life is good, and I am very happy I got this procedure done. The lap-band is in and wide open; no fills yet.

OK, Now here it comes...

BUTTTTTTT..........

I haven't exactly been sticking religiously to the post op diet. For the first 1 1/2 weeks, I Did for the most part and just had liquids (The substance I would have would be applesauce or yogurt), however the last week I have pretty much eaten whatever I want to. My body is accepting it, and it is going down with no problems whatsoever. I feel no restrictions and quite honestly at this point could eat the same way that got me into trouble in the first place if I wanted to. I even had a few bowl of Pasta and sauce on Super bowl Sunday. There's nothing I haven't re-tried over the last week, and as I stated everything is going down fine and without problem whatsoever.

It bothers me that this is happening. I was trying to eat the "bad foods" hoping that my body would reject them and that I would sublimally know not to do it again. I KNOW that if I wanted to, I could completely pig out and go eat whatever I wanted to just the same as before. My willpower is obviously not as strong as it was leading up to the surgery and directly after the surgery, and now that I know I can go back to my bad habits...I just do not trust myself because I can see the bad habits coming back. Over the last 3 days I have not shown much restraint and eaten pretty much whatever I wanted to and I'm not happy with myself- but again, Now that I know I can I feel like I've opened Pandora's box and that there's no closing it. I don't THINK I will sabotage myself, however part of the reason I had this lap band placed in me was to know that I would be restricting myself using this tool...Which is not helping in the least bit right now.......I can eat and eat and eat if I want.

I had my initial follow up with my surgeon yesterday. He was very happy with my weight loss and progress, and said that He is pleased and everything looks great. Of course I completely lied to him and said that I was following all the dietary guidelines (I didn't want to raise any red flags or stop him from doing a fill). I then told him that I had really serious hunger urges and that I would like to have a fill. He then told me that he wouldn't do a fill unless I plateau'd and showed I wasn't losing any weight.

DAMN.

This is blowing up in my face. So I need to show that I can't lose the weight for him to do a fill? This makes no sense to me- Why wouldn't he just do a fill? Isn't that part of the surgery? I don't get it and I am frustrated. In any case, I have another Appointment with him scheduled for 4 weeks from now.....I have to NOT lose weight in order to get a fill? That makes no sense to me.

This surgeon did an AWESOME job in placing the lab-band; he is obviously one of the best at what he does, and I know I should just do what he tells me......But still, I am questioning the point of not doing a fill. Do I need to flat out tell him that I am not controlling my hunger and eating whatever I want? because IMO if I do that he will NOT do the fill because he will be afraid I will damage the lapband or hurt myself....Whatever...I'm confused...

Any and all advice would be appreciated...Thanks in Advance!

I had my post op last Friday and this is what my doctor told me about my first fill. I will see him again in 4 weeks. If I am losing weight and NOT fighting hunger then he will leave it alone. If I stop losing weight or if I can't control my hunger then I will get a fill. You have to be honest with your doctor. I am dealing with hunger, however I am still on Clear Liquids (first 2 weeks). My doctor told me once I can progress to solid food (week 5) then I will find it easier to feel full. Good luck and if you took the step to do this, then you owe it to yourself and your doctor to be honest about how you feel.

Hey everyone-

I wanted to take a few and share my frustration. I am 3 weeks post-banding, and everything has gone absolutely great. The only problem I have experienced the entire time was when the gas had to make it's way out of my system 48 hours after the surgery. I've dropped about 20 pounds since the surgery (Although I probably havent dropped much at all over the last 7-10 days), and I've lost a total of 45 pounds including pre-op diet to be down just below 240 pounds and I am now feeling healthy, slim, and good. I can squeeze into size 36 Jeans and feel as healthy as I ever have. I saw my primary yesterday, and for all intents and purposes the HBP and Diabetes I had 2 months ago are now effectively gone! Life is good, and I am very happy I got this procedure done. The lap-band is in and wide open; no fills yet.

OK, Now here it comes...

BUTTTTTTT..........

I haven't exactly been sticking religiously to the post op diet. For the first 1 1/2 weeks, I Did for the most part and just had liquids (The substance I would have would be applesauce or yogurt), however the last week I have pretty much eaten whatever I want to. My body is accepting it, and it is going down with no problems whatsoever. I feel no restrictions and quite honestly at this point could eat the same way that got me into trouble in the first place if I wanted to. I even had a few bowl of Pasta and sauce on Super bowl Sunday. There's nothing I haven't re-tried over the last week, and as I stated everything is going down fine and without problem whatsoever.

It bothers me that this is happening. I was trying to eat the "bad foods" hoping that my body would reject them and that I would sublimally know not to do it again. I KNOW that if I wanted to, I could completely pig out and go eat whatever I wanted to just the same as before. My willpower is obviously not as strong as it was leading up to the surgery and directly after the surgery, and now that I know I can go back to my bad habits...I just do not trust myself because I can see the bad habits coming back. Over the last 3 days I have not shown much restraint and eaten pretty much whatever I wanted to and I'm not happy with myself- but again, Now that I know I can I feel like I've opened Pandora's box and that there's no closing it. I don't THINK I will sabotage myself, however part of the reason I had this lap band placed in me was to know that I would be restricting myself using this tool...Which is not helping in the least bit right now.......I can eat and eat and eat if I want.

I had my initial follow up with my surgeon yesterday. He was very happy with my weight loss and progress, and said that He is pleased and everything looks great. Of course I completely lied to him and said that I was following all the dietary guidelines (I didn't want to raise any red flags or stop him from doing a fill). I then told him that I had really serious hunger urges and that I would like to have a fill. He then told me that he wouldn't do a fill unless I plateau'd and showed I wasn't losing any weight.

DAMN.

This is blowing up in my face. So I need to show that I can't lose the weight for him to do a fill? This makes no sense to me- Why wouldn't he just do a fill? Isn't that part of the surgery? I don't get it and I am frustrated. In any case, I have another Appointment with him scheduled for 4 weeks from now.....I have to NOT lose weight in order to get a fill? That makes no sense to me.

This surgeon did an AWESOME job in placing the lab-band; he is obviously one of the best at what he does, and I know I should just do what he tells me......But still, I am questioning the point of not doing a fill. Do I need to flat out tell him that I am not controlling my hunger and eating whatever I want? because IMO if I do that he will NOT do the fill because he will be afraid I will damage the lapband or hurt myself....Whatever...I'm confused...

Any and all advice would be appreciated...Thanks in Advance!

Andy,

Im only one week postop but .... my thought is, you need to be honest with the dr. but dont offer what isnt asked :)

probly not the best advice- and take it or leave it.... but the surgeon knows its a tool. he also knows HOW you got where you are.

so.... if he asks if you followed- i would say- yes, but not as thoroughly as i should have.

he should not be holding back a fill if you arne't following rules- the fill will HELP you follow!

at least, that is how i understand it!

Good luck!

Right now, im still follwoing diet exactly and i am so READY To eat food again. i am tired of liquids. and i still have one full week to go! ugh :(

Be honest with your doctor. If he knows how much you can eat, that just might make him decide to do a fill. I have heard on this board about doctors that don't do a fill because the patient is loosing weight. I agree, this makes no sense. The band doesn't do it's job unless it's properly filled. My doc. always based the fill on how much I could eat and how hungry I was.

Again be honest with your doc. that's the only way he can best help you. I kept some vomiting from my doctor and wouldn't you know I ended up overfilled. If your doc. still won't give you a fill I would consider finding another doc.

I feel about the same as you do. I am 1 week post op. I feel no restriction, or any other after effect from the surgery. My incisions are healed, for the most part (no bandages and cleared for heavy lifting and soaking in the whirlpool :P) I feel no different than I did before the surgery, other than the weight loss from pre-surgery and the week I just spent on liquids.

I really wanted to cheat, but I put so much into this, that now that it's finally done I don't want to screw it up. Like damage or do harm to the band and stomach area, etc.

Went to the Dr. today.

Had to laugh, read your post on my Blackberry sitting in the waiting room. What a BUMMER. Hope I get better results.

He told me forget the "Mushies", but eat only very soft foods. Pay attention to calories, Protein, etc, etc. Watch your diet.

Scheduled me in 3 weeks, 4 weeks from surgery, to "Begin the fills" in his words.

You doctor might not get fills for now because as you loose weight it could be coming off your stomach and he's waiting until he feels the band needs to be tightened around the stomach. I don't neccesarily agree with this theory. To be perfectly blunt with you if you eat like you did before the band you will gain weight before you see him next. For one your body has been denied it's normal amount of food for 3 weeks and it is making up for lost time. Ever notice when you get the flu you loose 5 pounds and then within days you've gained it back? Until you have fills (and that's multiple) the band won't do anything. You will be able to eat exactly the same as you did presurgery.

Also the band does not have the power to prevent you eating high fat/cal/carb foods. I think I am lucky that I don't have trouble eating particular foods. I try to make good food choices and then the band helps me to only eat small portions of less healthy foods.

This is going to be all about will power. Possibly for months (six months for me). I highly recommend buying a digital scale. I measure out the Protein and sometimes veggies. When the foods gone I stop eating.

Hi, I had my surgery done on Jan 14th and since then I could say after surgery I felt the same way. I felt like i shouldnt be hungry cause i got this band. How ever I may have cheated a little bit like have a half of cup of rice or Pasta and felt very guilty having it after. Which once in a while is ok to have. I am now learning that this diet is all on me. I've heard over and over the band is a tool and at times I feel the band is just there. I do know this right now i have no rectriction, but knowing that I have the band there I never want to over do it cause then I put my self at risk. I feel it's a mind thing right now and hopefully when you get your fill you will feel better. I have a friend who got this done over a year ago, and I explain the same thing to her, she just tells me to be patient and stick it through. It will get easier as I'm told!! Hope the best for you!! Congrats on your weight loss thats great!!

The first 4-6 weeks are for healing. Your Dr. would have been rather irresponsible giving you a fill 3 weeks post op. My surgeon won't do a fill until 5-6 weeks post op. Mine is scheduled for February 17th and I had surgery on January 14.

As for eating, the band is just a tool. It minimizes the amount of food you can eat - not what you eat.

You can continue to eat like crap - or - you can make the conscious decision to eat better and start a new life.

Ultimately it's up to you.