Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too tight?

I am a 28 year old Male, and I am new to this site, and this is my first entry, so lets give this a try. I had my surgery Nov 9th 2010. Had my 3rd fill yesterday. The Water test felt fine at the clinic, but started feeling some discomfort after I left. Since then I can eat VERY small amounts of very soft food, but I feel discomfort after only 3 bites. I have to drink water very slowly or I get pain. Is all this normal? Is it tight because I just had a fill and the area is inflamed? My hope is that it will loosen up, because I really don't want an "unfill". Maybe this is the way the band is suppose to work? Up until now I have been complaining that I didn't feel enough restriction. If thias is my "sweet spot" I don't want to mess with it, but also want to make sure I am not overfilled. Any suggestions?

When I've had a fill, we're supposed to do liquids for 2 days...no food at all. I would suggest you only do liquids for at least the rest of today and maybe tomorrow.

Take it very slow in drinking. As long as you are able to keep liquids down, you should be fine.

Sometimes it takes a few days or even a week for the swelling to go down after a fill.

My doctor suggests that you have liquids for 36 hours after a fill. NOT EVEN SOFT FOODS !! The stomach needs time to heal. I would suggest just sticking to liquids for that length of time before trying soft things. I always side with caution and so far its been working for me. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. I just re-read my original post and I am actually 38 not 28. Not sure if it was a typo or wishful thinking..lol. Anyways, My Dr. has always said just very soft foods after a fill, but maybe the liquid only thing is a better idea. But even so, I am finding it very difficult to even swallow Water, hurts alot and wants to come back up. I did manage to get ahold of my Dr. and he is going to meet me at the hospital to do a slight "unfill" . Hope its the right thing to do, I really don't want to be going backwards in this process.

My doctor suggests that you have liquids for 36 hours after a fill. NOT EVEN SOFT FOODS !! The stomach needs time to heal. I would suggest just sticking to liquids for that length of time before trying soft things. I always side with caution and so far its been working for me. Hope this helps.

You are doing the right thing. My doctor makes sure we can swallow Water before leaving his office. If not he does a slight unfill. Let me know how things work out. Wishing you well.

Had a cc taken out. feels much better. I hope I still have that same feeling of satiety that I had when it was too tight. What a great feeling. I think I am getting closer to where i need to be. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Thanks for the replies. I just re-read my original post and I am actually 38 not 28. Not sure if it was a typo or wishful thinking..lol. Anyways, My Dr. has always said just very soft foods after a fill, but maybe the liquid only thing is a better idea. But even so, I am finding it very difficult to even swallow Water, hurts alot and wants to come back up. I did manage to get ahold of my Dr. and he is going to meet me at the hospital to do a slight "unfill" . Hope its the right thing to do, I really don't want to be going backwards in this process.

It's better to side on the side of caution. You can always gradually go back up, but nothing worse than being too tight.

Glad you're feeling better!

I'm glad that you were able to go back into your doctors office. I'm so happy that I found this site because of posts like this. I just got my band 8 days ago and although I haven't experienced things like this yet, I'm glad that I know now what I might do in this situation. So thank YOU. =)