Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly Banded. Any regrets?

I had surgery on Dec 17th and had a large hiatal hernia repair. When I first woke up in so much pain for a split second I thought what the heck have I done. The liquid/strict diets prior and the few weeks following surgery are difficult but it does get much better. I am eating WAY less than I was prior to surgery, making healthier choices and satisfied with my meals. The best part is watching that scale going in the opposite direction than it has been in years. When I started the process I was 267, surgery day was 255 and this morning weighed 238. In my dieting experience, I was always starving and miserable and the scale would barely move and I would give up. Now I am satisfied the majority of the time, have lots of energy and the scale is moving in the right direction.

My only regret is that I should have done this sooner.

Hi! I was also banded on 1/27. I was so glad to read your question because I've also had some doubts . . . I'm having some pain - nothing unbearable - but mostly I'm feeling challenged by the liquids-only phase that I'm in, and anxious that I may have made a mistake. I'd love to hear more about your experiences as we both continue. This forum does look like a good place to get answers. Good luck to us both!!!

I feel much better today. Thanks for your responses. Its good to know I'm not in this alone. I still have minor pains, mostly associated with gas. Ive been able to eat full liquids without problems. How's your diet progressing? I can't wait til I get on solid foods.

Basimah, it will get gradually better, your port site may take the longest for the soreness to completely go away, however, with that said as the others have posted here there are good days and bad days, all in all you have to work the band, it does not work by itself for the most part. This is a time of healing and discovery for you...getting through that liquid phase, however, I assure you your first taste of mushy food will be like heaven and learning your trigger foods to stay away from as well as trying tricks of the trade. The amount that you eat will depend upon you and how you manage yourself, there may be hunger days until you hit the sweet spot or you might be one of the lucky ones whose band has hit the nerve and they don't have hunger issues. Everyone looses at a different pace, be patient. Everyone looses a chunk right off due to the liquid diet and then the weight drop off will slow up as you re-introduce foods to your diet.

Cliff N. I eat on smaller plates and when eating out use the bread plate for my main plate. Psychologically it helps me. I sorry to hear that your bariatric team did not assist you in obtaining the answers that you need. This is your body and your journey and you are responsible for what you allow to be done with it. Hind sight info is always so perfect, I know and I am not here to give you a bad time. This site has alot of good information in it and there are other resources that you can access through the internet that are reliable and viable sites to potential give you the information that you are craving so badly. Make sure you take your Vitamins and supplements as outlined in your post op package, this will be important in maintaining a healthy lifestyle while you re-introduce foods back into your diet.

To answer the original question, no I have no regrets and still would have made the same choices that I did.

Take care, both of you and let us know how you are doing.

The first few days i regretted it, questioned my decision just because of the gas pain, lack of sleep & just because i was so overall uncomfortable. I knew it would all pass, just needed time but i still grumbled...LOL Each day that i felt better, i became more confident with my decision.

You are doing it most likely because you knew something needed to change and this was it. Hang in there, get through these next few weeks. Remember you are you, you are not me, or anyone else. Your goals have to be your own & you'll reach them at your own pace. Be realistic on goals. We had a challenge this past month, i set mine pretty high. (for me) Just about didn't reach it. I was worried. So for the next one, i backed off a bit, i realized i would rather make a goal & be pleasantly surprised passing it than not making it at all. This whole journey is a learning process, nothing about it is going to be perfect or the same for us all.

Best of luck.

I was banded on Dec 29th and I have my moments like everyone has.....I've losted only 11 lbs. I get my first filled next Monday so hopefully I will start losing the weight again. Give it some time....I believe you will see it was worth it as I would too.