Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just the beginning

Hello all,

My name is Michelle, 44 years old, married, mother of a college sophmore (daughter). I have been on a "diet" since I was 11 years old. My heaviest was 366 lbs, which was as recent as this past September. I am now at 352, we had a Biggest Loser contest at work, I actually came in 2nd place. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy about the loss, but it took me 3 months to do so. I have done everything from Weight Watchers, Quick Weight Loss, Medical Weight Loss, liquid diets, the hot dog & banana diet, the cabbage Soup diet, etc. I have always been opposed to surgery for weight loss because I figured it came on the old fashioned way, therefore I should be able to lose it the old fashioned way. I have probably lost 400 lbs in my lifetime, lose 100, gain 110, etc. The last time I lost 100 lbs I was in my 20's, I am here to tell you it is much harder to lose weight in your 40's. Also I forgot to mention that at my very first mammogram 3.5 years ago, I was diagnosed with breast cancer, which is another subject altogether, let's just say I was very lucky as it was caught early, was non-invasive so I only needed a lumpectomy and radiation. I also have GERD. Luckily my BP and Cholesterol are ok, but I have recently found out that I am borderline diabetic. So, since 11/19 I have taking Metformin and I totally revamped my pantry and fridge. Any bread, rice or Pasta is brown, no sweets (thank goodness I am not a big sweets person, just once a month chocolate craving), alot of chicken, vegetables and certain fruits, nuts and I treat myself on the weekends. Diabetes really scares me, almost more than the breast cancer!! Don't get me started on aches and pains, ankles, knees, back, shoulders. So now I am open minded to surgery (just Lap Band). A gal I work with had it done in September, I have watched her from pre-op on and she is doing fantastic, also a friend of mine in Chicago had it done about 6 weeks ago and she is also glad she had it done. This has motivated me, so far I went to a seminar, then I made the appointment for the initial consultation which is 2/17. Based on my BMI alone, I qualify, but I know there is additional testing that is required. I have not shared with very many people that I am considering it, but my husband, daughter, mother, siblings, (haven't told my dad because he would just freak a little), and my friends that I have told are very supportive except one, who is one of my best friends. The first thing out of his mouth was that I was taking the easy way out and if I got my ass to the gym 2 hours a day I could lose it that way. Needless to say, I was irritated and hurt, I responded to him, are you kidding me? I have been overweight since I was 11, what working person has time to go to the gym 2 hours a day? I am not naive either, I know that the Lap Band is a tool, it restricts the intake of food, I know I will need to exercise and of course eat healthy which I have a jump on already. Bottom line, I need help, at the rate I am losing it would take me 3 years. My goal is to be under 200 lbs, I am 5'6 and big boned (love that expression), I have never been skinny and do not aspire to be a size 4, I just want to be healthy and comfortable, for me when I was a size 16 I felt great and looked great, some people are not meant to be skinny and I am ok with that, but enough is enough, so that is why I have taken this initial step. Sorry about the book but I have been visiting this site for weeks but have not had the courage to say anything. Looking forward to hearing from anyone going through same/similar.

Sincerely,

Michelle in Michigan

Michelle,

My story isn't much different than yours (except for the diabetes and breast cancer). I was 47 when I was banded, and I started at 350lbs. I'm now 173 and wear a size 10.

I, like you, had done every diet known to mankind. I've lost enough weight to create my own family of four. I exercised...I went to the gym and I did Curves for 3 years. No matter what I did, I would always lose the weight and then gain it all back and usually another 20-30 lbs. I avoided surgery for a very long time and it wasn't until my doctor suggested the lap-band that I was even willing to consider it. After I started the process and did my research, I thought, "This procedure is less drastic than some of the diets I've been on." I didn't tell anyone (except my husband) about my plans until I was confident in my decision. I didn't want anyone else's opinion clouding my thoughts. When I was sure of what I wanted, I began to tell people and they were supportive. Anyone who thinks surgery is ever the easy way out, is crazy. Surgery is the option when nothing else works. I know plenty of people will tell you that the lap-band doesn't work for everyone, but it is sheer madness to keep trying Weight Watchers, etc time and time again when it never worked for me long term. I honestly think those kinds of programs work pretty well for people with 50 lbs to lose, but rarely for someone with more than 100.

You are starting put the right way by reading the info on this site and scheduling your consultation. I wouldn't worry about the opinion of people who don't understand what it's like to spend your life trying to lose weight, only to fail every time. The people on this site get that. We have all been there.

Cindy

Michelle,

My story isn't much different than yours (except for the diabetes and breast cancer). I was 47 when I was banded, and I started at 350lbs. I'm now 173 and wear a size 10.

I, like you, had done every diet known to mankind. I've lost enough weight to create my own family of four. I exercised...I went to the gym and I did Curves for 3 years. No matter what I did, I would always lose the weight and then gain it all back and usually another 20-30 lbs. I avoided surgery for a very long time and it wasn't until my doctor suggested the lap-band that I was even willing to consider it. After I started the process and did my research, I thought, "This procedure is less drastic than some of the diets I've been on." I didn't tell anyone (except my husband) about my plans until I was confident in my decision. I didn't want anyone else's opinion clouding my thoughts. When I was sure of what I wanted, I began to tell people and they were supportive. Anyone who thinks surgery is ever the easy way out, is crazy. Surgery is the option when nothing else works. I know plenty of people will tell you that the lap-band doesn't work for everyone, but it is sheer madness to keep trying Weight Watchers, etc time and time again when it never worked for me long term. I honestly think those kinds of programs work pretty well for people with 50 lbs to lose, but rarely for someone with more than 100.

You are starting put the right way by reading the info on this site and scheduling your consultation. I wouldn't worry about the opinion of people who don't understand what it's like to spend your life trying to lose weight, only to fail every time. The people on this site get that. We have all been there.

Cindy

Thanks so much for sharing!! I am a little nervous, but more excited. If I can go through childbirth, gallbladder surgery, breast cancer, partial hysterectomy, heart cath, endoscopy, colonoscopy, I think I can handle this!!