Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Girlie question - please help

Sorry to ask this here, but I’m scared. I don’t know what to do or have anyone else to ask.

I’m what I call “irregularly regular”. Irregular in the sense that I never know when I’m going to get my period. Regular in the sense that it always lasts for 3.5 days, four at tops. Last month, I got my period and it lasted for almost two weeks. That has never happened to me before. I figure it might have to do with my recent weight gain (about 30 pounds since July) and the related hormone changes. I haven't felt "healthy" for a while now.

After my period ended, I was fine for about two weeks. Then I got my period again. I’ve had it now for over a week and it’s very heavy and there’s more …”material” than before (not a ton but noticeably more). I’ve had a little bit of dizziness – my shrink says that’s a side effect of Wellbutrin, but over the weekend, I had a few dizzy spells. (Haven’t had one since, though.) I did some research on the internet and though my flow is very heavy (for me) I’m not changing my pad every 6 hours, so maybe it’s not that an extreme a case. I think the blood loss has made me a little anemic and caused a little of the fatigue and dizziness so I started taking an Iron supplement today. I had a little bit of cramping yesterday and today, but I took an Aleve and I’m fine. There’s no pain or anything otherwise weird. I just can’t seem to stop bleeding. I’ve just about convinced myself that I have cervical cancer or something. As far as I know, none of this runs in my family.

I haven’t been to see a doctor, mostly because I’m chicken. I’m 31 and have never had a gyno exam. (I rationalized it by saying I’ve never been sexually active, so I didn’t need to.) I’m also in a tricky situation because my company switched to a new health insurance carrier effective Jan. 1, but Blue Cross is taking forever to do the paperwork, so I don’t have a member number, a group number, a PCP, or anything. I’m waiting for it any day now, but who knows how long it will take them?

I’m really scared, but apparently not scared enough to be smart about this because the second I have my insurance info I’m going to see the PCP about a referral to bariatrics. I’m afraid to mention it to my doctor because she will be someone I’ve never met and she may want to do all kinds of history and testing on me before she’s willing to do any kind of referral.

I’m all twisted up in knots. Have any of you experienced anything like this? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I went through the same symptoms and problems for years. During my senior year 1990 I was put on Provera to get my cycles in balance. That worked for about 5 years then the problems came back. Since then I was diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome. (PCOS) for short. I am no doctor but your symptoms and problems point to PCOS. There is tons of info on the net www.webmd.com is a good source. But please get into your Gyno ASAP! Best of luck. If you have any further questions about PCOS please feel free to PM me.

My best advice is to find a Planned Parenthood in your area and run, don't walk, to their office. You need an exam and I gotta tell ya, you won't like it. A pap smear can hurt and the whole thing is very comfortable. I would rather have that than cancer so I get one every year. Part of the joy of being a girl!

The good thing about Planned Parenthyood is they work on a sliding scale so insurance is not necessary. I don't have any! They are experienced and will not make you feel uncomfortable. They may need your history and a few tests but it won't cost an arm and a leg and they can help.

As far as the period coming twice. I had that from time to time before I got on birth control. Birth control, in it's many forms, help regulate my period. I'm now taking the Depo shot and I don't get a period at all anymore. It's great!

I hope you find the courage to go to the doc ASAP.

If you have insurance, even if you don't have your member number you should be able to either, go to the doctor and have them call blue cross and verify your insurance based on your social security number, or pay for the doctors visit and bill it to insurance as soon as you have your information. They can't deny you insurance server because they don't have their @#$% together if your effective date is 1/1/06 (I'm the 'hr chick' where I work).

I like "irregularly regular", it describes me well too. I think you need to go get checked out though. It could be something as simple as an infection that just needs some antibiotics.

Feel better!

31 honey, sex or not, it's time for the girlie exam. I go to a female gyn, which I feel much more comfortable with, (personal pref). I always felt a female could better relate to our girlie symptoms and problems than a male doctor. JMO, better to be safe than sorry. Wish you luck.

Sleepyjean...periods definately change with weight changes. The last 30 lbs I gained before my band made a definate difference in the heaviness of my flow. I have had my period 5X in the last 2 or 3 months since being banded and beginning to lose weight, and I am convinced that it is my body "cleaning out" from the heavier weight and therefore higher hormone levels. I agree with everyone above though, you need to go to the Dr and have a PAP etc. It isn't about sex -- it's a part of your body you need to keep healthy. You get all your shots, right? And you take care of your emotions with your counselor, right? Time to check out the plumbing too!

When you say irregularly regular - how OFTEN do you normally get the visit? I had a thing when I was about your age - where I spotted EVERY DAY when I went into work. (I figured work was killing me).

The end result was that due to having periods no more than QUARTERLY for many years - the lining in my uterous had built up and it was trying to clean itsself out. (I, also, had convinced myself I was probably dying of cervical cancer). The current stress I was experiencing had triggered the process.

Go - get the girlie exam - and be prepared for the cure. What they do is give you a hormone supplement - which will make you bleed profusely with more "material" for weeks. Oh Joy.

The good news is that with any luck at all, you aren't dying - and once you complete the Cure process, you should flip back to normal.

Good Luck!!

Let us know what the doc says.

Definately go to the Dr.! Sounds like you may have a fibroid or other growth that will have to come out.

p.s. if you havn't had sex ask the gyn to use the PEDIATRIC speculum on you, otherwise she may not be able to examine you at all.

YES, please see a Dr.

Someone posted that their pap had hurt... but I have a great Dr. and I don't even know when he is examining me, he is great!

Ask around if you are really scared... and like Miramu said, you have insurance and they can verify it by a simple phone call.

GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks so much everyone. I just got the group number from HR. Now I just have to work up the nerve to use it.

I really wish they had a do-it-yourself at home gyno kit or something. Gah!

Sleepy, I just want to send you ((hugs)) and tell you not to be afraid. Believe me, if you tell the doctor you are scared he or she will bend over backward to make you feel comfortable. They know how unpleasant pelvic exams are for women, especially if it's your first.

And try not to worry. There are a million little things that can go wrong with our cycles and everything affects us. The chances that it's nothing are excellent, really. But do be prepared to give a full and total history, because it's against your history that they'll judge your current symptoms. There are all kinds of normal; what's really important is in what way things have changed, when, any triggers, any other feelings, etc.

Imagine your relief when it's over!! The fear is by far the worst part. You'll be dancing out of that doctor's office, I predict. Let us know how it goes! :)