Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What will I be able to eat - physically

I am getting banded in 10 days. I realize that I am doing this to make a change in my life and will need to eat properly. That said, Ii was wondering, which foods I will not be physically able to eat again EVER. I know I shouldn't but will I be physically able to ever eat/drink:

- a piece of steak

- a slice of pizza

- a beer

- a few bites of cake

- a nacho

- a cashew

I am committed to eating a proper diet but I hate to think I will never taste these items again.

Any other foods I will never be able to physically digest again?

What is your experience?

I am possibly at restriction (just had my 7th fill this week). One thing to consider is that while some get restriction after only a couple fills, there are others like myself who need many fills. Some people have trouble eating things like bread or particular meats. Knock on wood I don't have trouble with any particular foods.

Beef -I can eat Red meat but I never had so don't see the point now.

pizza - I've had inch size samples at costco no problem. I don't buy pizza though because it is high in calories and fat

Cake- No problems but again high in calories/fat/carbs more of a only at birthday parties type of thing

Nachos No problem but high in fat/calories/carbs

Nuts- No problems. I do have salted peanuts in the shell. The shell slows me down. And are the only "snack" I occationally keep in the house.

Beer- NEVER. Most doctors say no carbonation. EVER. It's bad for the pouch. You will see people on this board to whose doctors let them have soda or beer. Most do not.

I think that some people keep there bands to tight which leads to them not being able to swallow certain foods. I'm sure many people will disagree with me about that.

I am getting banded in 10 days. I realize that I am doing this to make a change in my life and will need to eat properly. That said, Ii was wondering, which foods I will not be physically able to eat again EVER. I know I shouldn't but will I be physically able to ever eat/drink:

- a piece of steak- Yes if it's tender - I can't eat stringy meat

- a slice of pizza - Yes

- a beer - I can't do too much carbonation

- a few bites of cake - Yep had some for my Bday yesterday

- a nacho Yes - but watch out loaded w/fat

- a cashew - Yes - nuts are good for you but full of calories for just a few nuts - I rather eat a meal for 170 cal

I am committed to eating a proper diet but I hate to think I will never taste these items again.

What is your experience?

#1 this isn't a diet - but a total change in your eating & exercise habits for the rest of your life... You have to realize that your normal eating habits and lack of exercise is what got you fat in the 1st place..

The band is only a tool - it doesn't make your food choices..

I eat healthy 98% of the time - I exercise regularly - I have treats 2% of the time - but they are planned and fit into my calorie budget..

My PA ( I dont see the surgeon anymore, just his PA and nurses) tells me that I should be able to eat anything. Tells me that if I cannot eat bread, meats, Pasta or such without getting stuck, then my band is not adjusted properly. He says the purpose of the band is not to physically restrict you from eating something. Its to provide satiety for longer periods. So far, I am able to eat anything. I had a few problems early on when I still had surgical swelling, but since the swelling has subsided I am able to eat anything.

- a piece of steak

- a slice of pizza

- a beer

- a few bites of cake

- a nacho

- a cashew

What is your experience?

After healing, I've had pizza, chips, and nuts... not problem. I haven't tried steak, but I'm guessing I could get it down. I've eaten some pretty dry chicken and it went down fine. Beer has carbonation right? So that would probalby be a no... and you aren't really supposed to drink because of liquid calories (but I have drank, just not beer). I can eat some Pasta, toast, rice. I try to be good, but 1 slice of pizza is 200-300 calories, you can eat that if you want or need to. Just not the whole box like I would eat pre surgery. For me I find myself reading all the labels, and some stuff is so bad I just have physically no desire to eat it, it's not worth the calories anymore... One Red Velvet Cupcake has 500 calories, I'd rather eat 2 meals haha.

It doesn't stop you from eating, it just keeps you from being hungry all the time.

BUT everyones body is different, some people can't eat certain things.