Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

all the advice I can get

I'm still trying to figure out this site, and really don't know where to start so here goes: I'm 5' 2 1/2", I weigh 310, and I am disabled with multiple ruptured and bulging discs in my back, as well as deal with extreme depression, and anxiety. My back pain has gotten worse than ever with the new onset of numbness in the legs. My dr says we can't wait any longer for me to try to lose weight on my own so that I can have back surgery. He's ordering lap band to be later followed by neuro surgery on my back. I'm overwhelmed and don't even know where to begin. I barely know only one person that has had lap band and I understand that she is now back to her original weight before surgery. I didn't know that could happen. Now I'm even more scared than ever. I do tend to overeat, so if I go thru with this and it fails, I don't know how I would deal with that? I'd like any feedback I can get. I've got to start somewhere.

I am now 5 months out from surgery. I did not decide to have surgery until I had a mini stroke at 39. At 38 I had gone to a orthopedic surgeon about severe knee pain. He point blank said you need to loose weight and here's some pain killers. Well I did start exercising and lost about 30 pounds but 11 months later still had a stroke.

Deciding to have weight loss surgery was the hugest decision of my life. I had lost over 100 pounds three times in my life but had put the weight back on. I saw the band as a help in loosing weight and keeping it off. This is NOT a magic wand. To loose weight you will need to eat differently than you do now. Half the journey is mental. Once you've reach restriction (which can take 5 months)the band will help in eating smaller portions; but it won't stop you from eating unhealthy food. For example after eating a healthy meal you could eat one oreo; whereas before surgery you might eat 5-6.

With your other physical issues would you be able to go to the pool? Water based exercise is some of the easyiest for over weight people. At 364 pounds I bought a fat lady swim suit (with the little skirt) and started lap swimming. From 9/08-8/13/2010 (day of sugery) I lost 82 pounds. I have lost another 30 since surgery.

Yes, people can regain weight with the band. One sure fire way to do that is eat food that basically becomes liquid once you put it in your mouth. The band basically creates a funell in your stomach. Anything liquid will pass right threw: ice cream, candy, crackers, chips, milkshakes. If someone were to eat alot of these foods they WILL gain the weight back.

I have a totaly ramdown question to u... what about drinking alcohol a month later of the surgery? I ask this because once a month I socialize going to club or any social events and I have heard that I can NOT CONSUME ANY TYPE OF ALCOHOL beverages I LOVE WHISKEY W.COKE. ANY ADVISE

I have a totaly ramdown question to u... what about drinking alcohol a month later of the surgery? I ask this because once a month I socialize going to club or any social events and I have heard that I can NOT CONSUME ANY TYPE OF ALCOHOL beverages I LOVE WHISKEY W.COKE. ANY ADVISE

Alcohol is discouraged because it is liquid calories.

That said, I do drink alcohol, but mostly it is red wine which has some health and, purportedly, weight loss benefits in moderation. I wouldn't drink a whiskey with coke because of the carbonation in the coke, but I do occasionally have a margarita, vodka cranberry, or gimlet (none of which have carbonated mixers). That said, some bandsters do carbonated beverages sometimes and just take the risk with the band. I'll say this-- you certainly won't be able to drink as much as before.

I'm still trying to figure out this site, and really don't know where to start so here goes: I'm 5' 2 1/2", I weigh 310, and I am disabled with multiple ruptured and bulging discs in my back, as well as deal with extreme depression, and anxiety. My back pain has gotten worse than ever with the new onset of numbness in the legs. My dr says we can't wait any longer for me to try to lose weight on my own so that I can have back surgery. He's ordering lap band to be later followed by neuro surgery on my back. I'm overwhelmed and don't even know where to begin. I barely know only one person that has had lap band and I understand that she is now back to her original weight before surgery. I didn't know that could happen. Now I'm even more scared than ever. I do tend to overeat, so if I go thru with this and it fails, I don't know how I would deal with that? I'd like any feedback I can get. I've got to start somewhere.

First, let me say that I really recommend you insist that your doc gives you the time to really research the band and decide if it is what you want. In a moment, I'm going to tell you how amazing it has been for me, but the fact is that people who are on the fence about it seem to have a harder mental time immediately post-surgery than those of us who took the time and were absolutely sure of our decision. Education comes in the form of seminars with the surgeons-- and go to more than one surgeon's seminar if it is available in the area. Also, usually support groups are "open" and you might go to some of those for education face-to-face.

Ok, now that is out of the way. Before surgery, the only medical complications of obesity I had were pain related-- low back weakness that led to long-term muscle spasms and plantar fasciitis that had me wearing only crocs for shoes and still finding mobility painful. After surgery, the plantar fasciitis is GONE and I am actually wearing high heels again in comfort. The back pain is 95% better-- and I now am in a state where I can work on my core strength to improve it even more.

Life with no pain is amazing. Even if I never lose another pound, I have gotten so much gain from this surgery that it would be worth it to still be technically obese but pain free and mobile.