Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Month Questions??

Hi everybody, I was banded this last Monday the 24th. As of now, I feel pretty good, just kind of nervous for this whole process to begin. But my main question is for the first month. I'm not scheduled for my first fill until the 21st of February. Should I expect to just be hungry for that entire first month in the healing process... will I get hungrier as the days go by the more that my stomach heals? Are there any surprises I need to know about for this first pre-fill month?

I think it is different for everybody. I always had restirction and have never been starving. I did not get a fill at my first fill apointment because my weight loss was sufficient. I really lost a lot of weight the first couple of months. Listen to your stomach, not your head. Don't go hungry, but try not to eat just cuz you "think" you are hungry. It's a hard thing to do, I struggle with it still daily. I really have to tell my self, "are you really hungry". Most of the time the answer is no. But if I am, I eat something. Try to eat something healthy with protien. I pretty much do not snack between meals, I do struggle with a late night snack... but that is definately a head thing and not a stomach thing. Best of luck to you on your journey!

The above post is spot on, it depends on the person. I came out of surgery with restriction and haven't needed a fill at all. Do I get hungry? Yep. However, please keep in mind that hunger is normal and that you will get hungry. It's important that you're able to decipher between head hunger and real hungry. I eat every 3 hours, 4 hours max. Maybe you can put yourself on a schedule that allows you to eat in x amount of time throughout the day.

My first month after surgery I lost 20 lbs. I followed my Dr.'s orders and had a wonderful loss. I dont recall being overly hungry. I didnt get a fill at my 1 month appointment becasue he said I was doing amazing.

Fast forward 2 weeks and 3 days. Today!!! I just came back to my office after having my first fill. It's 7 weeks after surgery. Granted I lost 4 lbs in the past 17 days but by about last weekend I was "starving"! I was sticking to eating my 4-6 oz of food but it took all the will power I had to not over eat. I found myself looking for food and eating a (at least a healthy) snack to get me to the next meal. I called the office on Monday and they saw me today for a 3.5 oz fill. That was an hour ago... and I am now sipping apple juice to get some calories in me as I need to be on liquids for 2 days to heal.

As others have said its going to depend on you and how your body react to the band. Just listen to your stomach and not your head. And follow your medical professional's advice. If its not working for you discuss it with them and make modificaitons.

Best of luck!

Hi Sean. I'm 7 days post op. I've had no problems other than being sore. But I've been hungry every single day. So, I definitely hear what you're saying. I was sticking to the Protein shots and muscle milk. But last night I broke down and bought Eating Right Black Bean Soup. It has 1 gram of fat, 180 calories, 10 grams of Protein and 14 grams of Fiber. The consistency is sort of like runny oatmeal without the chunks, so I think it's okay. I ate most of it and my stomach stopped growling for the rest of the night. It was the first time in a week that I didn't feel like I was starving. I think I'm probably in the same boat as you and won't feel "full" until my first fill. But at least I've found something so I'm not hungry.

Might be worth a shot. :)

I have been banded almost 2 months and I am also one of those people who didn't really experience "bandster hell" and haven't yet had a fill. I am scheduled to go back to the doctor next week for a fill but I don't think I will need one then either. There are two big discoveries I have made during this process...1) how to determine the difference between head hunger and actual hunger and 2) the term "full" means something different to me now - full doesn't mean that I have eaten so much that if I put another bite in my mouth I will throw up (that used to be my definition of full) but rather it means that I have eaten the recommended amount of food (3-4 oz Protein, 1/2 cup veggies), am no longer hungry and can go 3-4 hours without eating again. I don't feel stuffed, but rather satisfied and there is a HUGE difference. Could I eat more? Sure, but I choose not to and my band allows me to make that choice.

The next month or so will be a time for you to heal and determine how to best work your band for you...keep in mind that everyone is different. If what works for some people doesn't work for you then try something else. This is a very individual experience...

Best of luck to you! :D