Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would You Do It Again?

Yes! I would do it all lover again. I am 46yrs and it has been a year and a half since my surgery. I have lost a total of 93 lbs. I am at a stand still now but I have not been following the process rules like I know I am supposed to. This is a decision you make and it is for a lifetime. But the alternative is death or a very poor quality of life. I becane diabetic and once you are diagnosed diabetic, you can never go back. Now I am diet controlled and no longer take medication. I no longer take medicine for high blood pressure, and my asthma symptoms are totally gone. I no longer suffer from depression. I have the will to live life now. I feel pretty now. And I can shop at the mall at all the cool stores! Although I have about 40 to 50 more lbs to go, I know I can do this. My younger brother is sentenced to a lifetime of dialysis infusions three times a week due to diabetes. He will die at a young age and dialysis is a million dollar expense. I will not allow myself to go there. My kids are following in my bad habits and over eating and have been diagnosed Insulin Resistent which is borderline diabetic according to our family doc. I have taught them these bad eating habits. I did that. I have to turn my life around so I can turn theirs around too. Not only are you going to be making yourself healthy again but you are setting a precedent for how your children eat and take care of themselves. So yes, I would do it again in a heartbeat! Good luck!

Hey there!

I'm 24 at 5'4 245lbs. I am seriously considering the lapband procedure. My mom(age57 5'3 200lbs) and I met up and went together for our consultations in December. We were both given checklists to complete that were a little different from one anothers.. as well as our reasonings for wanting to get this procedure done. Mine were based more upon appearaces lol. My mom was more interested in getting energy and trying to get rid of her diabetes (she was just diagnosed last year). Mom's checklist included a stress test.. where we found out something was wrong with her heart.. that they weren't able to hear on a stethascope. She just underwent QUADRUPLE BYPASS surgery! She's doing wonderful! When I saw her with tubes coming out of everywhere on a breathing machine I saw myself there.. and I know I will be if I don't get a handle on my life. Being overweight really incresases your odds of getting heart disease and diabetes. I have been overweight since I was about 10 years old. Every year I seem to gain a little more. In June of 2009 I hit my highest at 308lbs while I was pregnant. For the first time in my life I was successful at a diet losing more than 10lbs! I only ate lean cuisines and worked out religously to make it down to 235! Once I hit 235 march 2010. I burned out and have since gained 10lbs.. taking me back to my prepregnant weight where I've been stuck at since I was 21. My body is comfortable at this uncomfortable weight I guess. I want to get healthy! I am sharing my story because I am feeling extremely anxious and nervous! My reasons for having this surgery now are way more for health and feeling good, but I have been reading alot of your posts such as: Alot about feeling sick often!! Fill spots being turned sideways and causing painful fills. Being on a liquid diet.. and actually being succesful at it? (I've tried SlimFast at least 10 times and never made it past 3 days!) Please tell me about your experiences. The most important question I'd like to ask is, Would you do it all over again?

Thanks for your time I really look forward to reading your responses! xo

Jduck...I think you bring up an EXCELLENT point with the kids! That is such an important and often overlooked side effect of obese parents. We DO teach our children by our example. In their lifetimes and especially childhoods they will learn SO MUCH MORE from what we do than what we say. I just got the lapband 6 days ago but already my children are noticing what I am eating and they know why because we have made it a big deal in our house and this morning while making school lunches my daughter was scanning the fridge and pantry for healthy items and asking me to cut her sandwhich into 4 peices so that it was easier to just eat a little bit if that is all she felt like she wanted. She is only 5 and I feel I am saving her from bein the chubby kid. My two older boys 7 and 11 have already learned some really bad habits that we are going to have to work on changing for them so that they can grow up healthy and KNOW the right things to do by my example and their Dad's example who is also obese but doesn't have the lapband. I am proud of the choice I have made as well and doing great just a week out. I have already lost 8 lbs since my nutrition class before surgery. Probably Water weight but still....even if that was ALL water that is a GALLON of liquid I no longer have to carry everywhere I go. :) That feels pretty awesome. :)