Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery

geckogirl
Sign in to follow this  

Hi guys

Its my first time here so not to sure how this works but I have a question for all of you that have had Lap Band Surgery, well I have just been and had my first consult with the surgeon and I'm booked in for surgery in March 2011 so far the surgeon is the only one saying Go for it, its a life changing experience, all my family & friends are say DONT be so silly its not a good thing to be doing, I am in to mind sets here I want to go ahead with it coz im sooooo sick of being ova weight currently my BMI is 39 and I'm at a stage now I cant do regular excersie due to joint problems hence the weight gain... All I have read or seen online or in books is all the success stories. Everyone one thats against it has told me some bad stories but I need to read and see them for myself so I am wondering if there is anyone out there can tell their own experinces good or bad to help me make this discussion any easier I wuld be really greatful.... I need to hear it from someone that has personally experienced it to me thats the best way so there isnt any sweetness to the story like u see in books and online.... Feel free to email or leave message here.

Looking forward to hearing the pro's and con's from someones first hand experience

Thnx heaps

geckogirl.. :0)

You're doing this for you, yes? Then I wouldn't worry about how your friends and family feel. Just do your research and go into it with eyes wide open.

The band is not a quick fix. It will most likely not physically restrict how much you can eat unless you're also willing to have frequent stuck and sliming episodes...which my doctor says are a sign of an overfill.

The band works, not by physically restricting how much you can eat, but by putting pressure on your vagus nerves which tell the stomach to quit producing ghrelin, the hunger hormone. It may take months depending on how aggressive your doctor is with fills...and you will most likely be hungry unless you're one of the lucky ones who gets enough pressure with just the band.

If you know you're having surgery in March, start making changes now. Eliminate sugar from your diet. If you can eliminate artificial sweeteners too, even better because they cause sweet cravings. After a week or so, try and eliminate wheat products as they're also the source of cravings. If your insurance or doctor requires a month long liquid diet pre-surgery and/or a month long liquid/mushie diet post surgery, elimination of these cravings will be a plus.

If you want to lose successfully with the band, then you will have to diet. As you get closer to your goal weight, unless you're willing to lose only a pound here or there, you'll also have to exercise. The band doesn't replace either of these. What it will do is get rid of your 'hunger', although there is a small chance the band won't put enough pressure on those vagus nerves...but there's no way of knowing that ahead of time.

i'm 3 years post-op and this is the most difficult thing i've ever done in my life. it's definately NOT easy! we're all here because we love food, right? it sounds easy to get banded and never be hungry again but it doesn't work that way. for me, a lot of the foods i love(d) i can no longer eat. no bread, no pizza, no rice, no potatos, no hamburger... or else i throw up. you'd think it would be easy to stop eating once you start but its hard. if you listen to your band, you'll be fine but if you listen to your brain that's saying "yummmmm keep eating" you'll be in trouble.

while i LOVE the results of the band, if i had to do it over again i'm not sure i would.... but that's just me. most here have great stories and success. i've had success but damn... what i wouldn't do for a juicy hamburger lol

Well, your BMI isn't all that high... and you can't exercise. I'm not sure... can you diet and lose the weight normally? or have you done that? Most of us have serious problems, I've been overweight since I was a child, I've been on every diet.. etc etc.. it's not a quick fix, it basically just put me on a permanent diet. Also it doesn't control my life, or my eating. I have to consciously make these decisions. I think the worst thing I read online is that people thought it would physically stop them from eating. Honestly, all it really does for me is makes me not hungry (like i would be on a regular diet). It's not a miracle diet.

Also can you give up soda? caffeine? I went through all that did my withdrawl..

Every body reacts differently too. I am not having problems with any food, and I'm not all that hungry all the time and I don't puke. But some people have trouble with all kinds of food, and get sick all the time. For me, as of now I'm glad I did it.

It's great you're doing your research and getting personal feedback while making your decision. Personally, I am very happy with the band. This is the way I look at it, I'm losing slowly and going in the right direction. If I didn't have the band, I would be heavier than when I started and definitely moving in the right direction. Considering your joints are hurting you and you can no longer exercise, you may want to consider the band seriously to give you that little edge you need to keep from gaining and to lose. Believe it or not, I had terrible knees and a bad back, after losing just 40 pounds, I felt great! In addition, I cleared up my Type 2 Diabetes and high cholesterol.

Unlike the others, I'm able to eat everything in small quantities. Everything except rice.

I wish you lots of luck and, remember, the choice is completely yours. Do what is right for you!!