Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flame on, Johnny...

I keep seeing posts by people who claim that the failure rate of the band is 50% or some such with the view that it is the band that has failed. I wonder, though, how many of those weren't band failure...but failure by the individual to 'work' the band.

What percentage quit working the band when they discovered that after the first 20-30 pounds, it wasn't going to be enough to just eat less...they were actually going to have to diet and "if I still have to diet, why bother getting the band?"

What percentage quit working the band when they discovered that the band wasn't physically restricting how much they could eat and that they would have to use some self-control?

What percentage quit working the band when they discovered it wasn't going to stop them from eating all the bad foods or grazing all day?

What percentage never started working the band and just expected that somehow, by having the band, the weight would just drop off?

I have no doubt that the band has failed some...that it never did control the hunger...but I'll bet that percentage is much smaller than 50%.

I ate a cookie today.... the band made me do it! :P I agree, I don't think (in most cases) it is the band that is failing. I had GREAT education about the band prior to my surgery, I'm not sure that everyone gets all the info they need to make the right decision about the lap band. Continued good luck on your journey!

I think the pre-band education needs to be better! But yea, regardless I knew I still had to do work and that it wasn't a miracle worker, that was pretty clear. But it is a different experience than I expected. You would think you would know that before you or you would have your insurance company spend $13,000 on surgery. If it was every fat person would have one, and everyone would be skinny.

Wow where've I been? I need to catch up on posts!

I guess I'm still confused why one wouldn't lose weight if you're actively working with your doctor on proper fills, etc. I agree that if I'm eating too much, not talking to my doctor about it, etc. and then I don't lose weight, it's obviously my fault , yes?

I will agree on one thing though--the pre-surgery education was slightly skewed.

I think the pre-band education needs to be better! But yea, regardless I knew I still had to do work and that it wasn't a miracle worker, that was pretty clear. But it is a different experience than I expected. You would think you would know that before you or you would have your insurance company spend $13,000 on surgery. If it was every fat person would have one, and everyone would be skinny.

I agree Heather...the pre-band education needs to be better...more truthful and open. The cynical part of me says it isn't because if these doctors told people the truth...that they will still have to diet, still have to *choose* to eat the right foods, still have to *choose* to put the fork down...they'd lose a lot of potential customers. The band does not take away the 'desire' to eat for many of us even when the hunger is gone. Without the hunger riding me, though, (at least for me) I can push the 'desire' away. Sadly, people are getting the VS and bypass - major changes to their body, and aren't being told the truth either. They go into this thinking it's a quick fix.

I guess I'm still confused why one wouldn't lose weight if you're actively working with your doctor on proper fills, etc. I agree that if I'm eating too much, not talking to my doctor about it, etc. and then I don't lose weight, it's obviously my fault , yes?

Mattie,

There is a small percentage (nobody knows the accurate count) of people who are failed by the band. It never works at eliminating their hunger even when they're overfilled. In which case, they're in the same boat we all were prior to being banded. How successful were we at the long-term dieting when the hunger was driving us? Not very, or we wouldn't have gotten the band. :)

Wow..my doctor must be the exception! We had so much information, there is no way a patient in that practice could not know what they were in for. We had an education seminar w/doctor, a nutrition class with a nutritionist, a one-on-one with nutritionist, a one-on-one with surgeon, an educational seminar at hospital, a support group meeting, and a quiz...yes, a quiz about the lapband and how it would work or not work...all mandatory before surgery! I actually think that has all helped me tremendously...with my expectations and with knowing how to "work" with my band!

Wow..my doctor must be the exception! We had so much information, there is no way a patient in that practice could not know what they were in for. We had an education seminar w/doctor, a nutrition class with a nutritionist, a one-on-one with nutritionist, a one-on-one with surgeon, an educational seminar at hospital, a support group meeting, and a quiz...yes, a quiz about the lapband and how it would work or not work...all mandatory before surgery! I actually think that has all helped me tremendously...with my expectations and with knowing how to "work" with my band!

my doctor was the same way! i did all these same things, even having a session with a psychologist (as a requirement) before having the surgery! the very last thing the nutritionist said to me before leaving my pre op appointment was exactly that, "this is not a quick fix" you still need to diet and exercise and make healthy choices! its a learning experience! if you do something that you know isnt good, brush it off, and keep moving forward! :)

Elfiepoo, You are an insensitive, uncaring, mean spirited poo poo head! :lol:

Just kidding. Some people think the band is the “magic” answer to all their years of bad habits and eating anything and everything. I knew going in that the band was a tool to help me lose weight. I knew I would have to make a life style change. Not a diet but a life style change. I had to exercise and change the way I looked at food, how I ate, when I ate and what I put into my body.

While I agree there are some the Lapband will not help, for what reason I don’t know. I think most fail because they continue to make poor choices. I read a post where someone said they could still eat pizza and drink beer even after their first fill. Why would someone try to eat these things after all the nutrition classes and counseling? This person is going to fail unless they get a handle on the new life style they need. Bottom line, the Lapband is not going to keep you from putting chocolate cake down your pie hole or eating anything, YOU have to make the choice.

What I know for sure is the Gov’ner is working for me because I work the band. I have changed what I eat, when I eat and how much I eat (thanks to the band!) I also work out 4 nights a week. I have made and will continue to make bad choices from time to time; ice cream, chips… but I know that one slip from time to time is not going to make me go back to the way I ate before. I have made a life style change and it is paying off for me.

Good luck to all.

I haven't even had my first fill yet, but have completely changed my eating habits. I'm not "dieting" but I am watching calories, Portion Control, avoiding sugars in drinks. Even without the fill I can see that I am slowly losing weight. A friend commented that I looked smaller. It's probably only 3 pounds in 4 weeks since the liquid stages ended, but I'm okay with that -- because I'm eating in a realistic and long-term way. I expect once I start having a little appetite control from the band that I will eat even smaller portions and hopefully lose a little faster.