Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill on Thursday!

Hey y'all! My first fill is Thursday and I'm SO nervous! You'd think after surgery I wouldn't be afraid of a needle prick. I know all doctors are different but I would like to know how the first fill appointment goes. I'm just wondering what to expect visit wise as well as pain wise lol. I'm such a CHICKEN! Unread that some doctors numb you and others do not. Should I ask for it? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

I just had my first fill this afternoon! It was good...no pain (like a quick shot, maybe) and he even had to dig a little bit, which I understand is pretty common. He did not numb me first, and I was really nervous about my first fill too although he kind of sprung this on me. I didn't really think he would want to do it at my 4 week appt - but I am so glad he did....no problems at all.

Good luck...don't be nervous! It doesn't change anything that will happen, and may make it worse if you are tense. The surgery is the hard part, I think, as far as pain goes. And with my surgeon, even that wasn't bad at all!

And autocorrect hates me too...it tries to fix things that I don't want it to, and doesn't recognize the stupid easy fixes!

I just had my first fill yesterday!! I was soooooo nervous but have such a great surgeon tht he just made it all ok!! Haha anyways he numbed the area little pinch is all.... I have 2 say the worst part is the digging for the port:-( it was very uncomfortable but so quick that when the fills done u won't even care....I heard a loud and felt a loud pop when he found the port don't ask me wth it was but ok....and honestly could feel him tightening it and the air bubbles in my throat haha it was neat being able 2 feel it tho I must say!!! Just talk 2 ur surgeon b4 or even during its really not that bad and now I have 5 ccs in my 15 cc band!! I didn't realize he was going 2 put so much in but doing great so far and am now back 2 my normal diet! I say that because I had 2 do clears right after then mushies last night and then now I'm back 2 normal well r normal diet haha!!! Good luck let me know how it goes!!!!

I had mine last week, no pain really, it's just WEIRD. Nothing else I can say about it other than it was an awkward experience haha. They poke ya, see if it's full enough, then put more if they need to.

I went today expecting to get my first fill, but apparently my dr. wants me to heal more....:(. Now next time I goon is not til march 4th

Hello,

My doctor does fills under fluoroscope (x-ray). The one fill I had was quick and painless. I could have slept through it it hurt that little.

Good luck, Joan

I've had 3 fills. The first one was weird. The second one didn't hurt. ...but the third one did not feel good. The PA said she had to 'find' the port. She knew where it was, it was just finding the spot to stick the needle in. I normally feel a little odd following a fill, but it's not horrible or anything. Good luck to you.

Hey y'all! My first fill is Thursday and I'm SO nervous! You'd think after surgery I wouldn't be afraid of a needle prick. I know all doctors are different but I would like to know how the first fill appointment goes. I'm just wondering what to expect visit wise as well as pain wise lol. I'm such a CHICKEN! Unread that some doctors numb you and others do not. Should I ask for it? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

I'm going in for my first one Thursday as well and am a nervous wreck! After surgery, I know I shouldn't be, but I HATE needles!!! On the positive side, I co-worker is getting banded that same day, so I will be thinking of her and the positive step she is taking for herself.

Wish us luck and let me know how it goes for you.

Renee

Amber - I'm getting my first fill on Thursday as well. I am a little nervous but I don't think it'll be too bad. I'm a little nervous as to how foods that I've learned to eat pretty well will affect me after the fill. I guess we'll see. Good luck!

So I went in for my fill today and he asked me how inwas doing. He told me that since I was losing so well that I didn't have to get a fill but it was completely up to me. I told him I can eat a cup if food and stay full for about 3-4 hours and he said that was good. He didn't suggest it bc he said he likes to let it do it's thing for a while without it unless I need it. So I didn't get one today. He made my next appt for my 3 month appt which is march 24. He told me that if I feel like I need a fill to just stop by and he will gladly give me one but for now he thinks I'm doing great. So I guess I will see how long this original restriction lasts. I have some already in there from surgery which is helping. I hope those of you that got one today did great. I want to know how it went!

So I went in for my fill today and he asked me how inwas doing. He told me that since I was losing so well that I didn't have to get a fill but it was completely up to me. I told him I can eat a cup if food and stay full for about 3-4 hours and he said that was good. He didn't suggest it bc he said he likes to let it do it's thing for a while without it unless I need it. So I didn't get one today. He made my next appt for my 3 month appt which is march 24. He told me that if I feel like I need a fill to just stop by and he will gladly give me one but for now he thinks I'm doing great. So I guess I will see how long this original restriction lasts. I have some already in there from surgery which is helping. I hope those of you that got one today did great. I want to know how it went!

Well, I am in the same boat as you guys. He told me last time that I would be getting a fill this time, but everything is looking good and I am losing weight and not hungry without it, so we will just wait to see how I am doing at my next appointment.

I hope things went well with those of you that actually got a fill today!

Hey Amber, good luck with the fill. How many cc's of Fluid?

Well I did get a fill today. They asked if I wanted one and I said yes. I feel like I'm going great but also feel like I can maybe eat more than I should be able to (but I stop myself). They put 2.4 cc's in my 10 cc band. Water goes down fine, protien drinks down fine. I won't know about much else until Saturday when I can start mushies. We shall see...

I went today expecting to get my first fill, but apparently my dr. wants me to heal more....:(. Now next time I goon is not til march 4th

Jess,

You're a month post op. Many of us had our first fill at 1 month post op. What 'exactly' did he tell you he's waiting for? In any event, I'd call him up and have a little 'chat' with him and tell him that you don't want to wait until March (assuming you're dealing with hunger) and that you would like to set up a fill for 2 weeks.

I don't understand why some of these doctors are stingy with their fills when it is the fill that gets us to the sweet spot. You might have to be a little more assertive with your doctor...but then that's just me.