Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cold Feet

I am still in the beginning- getting insurance approval.. I am starting to get cold feet.. Did this happen to any of you?

I think it happens to everyone. It's a pretty big decision so I have to say I think we would not be normal if we didn't. Just re-evaluate everything and go through all of your reasons for wanting to do this specifically and see if it is still something you want to do. :) Good luck!

Hi! No, you are not the only one getting cold feet! I went to my first informational session in June. I made appts to do all the required visits for my psych eval, cariologist, nutritionist, sonograms, etc. and got scared, canceling all of them! I told myself I would just drink the Protein Shakes on my own and lose weight. Taht never happened! Then September came around and I decided that even though I was afraid, I was going to continue with all the appointments and requirements for insurance submission. Through it all, telling myself that I could decide at the end after I was approved, if I was.

So, here I am and it's January. I was just approved by my insurance for the band. My surgery is scheduled for Feb. 16. I ordered my Protein shakes and have to start the liquid diet on 2/2. I am still getting cold feet! I continue to go forward telling myself I can still back out. My appoval is good for six months. I believe I will go through with the surgery, but honestly, I am still scared of the unknown. I have done so much research and sometimes too much! There is so much stuff on the internet, which someone on this site pointed out to me. That helped a lot because sometimes it is just too much. I am trying to focus on the positive that will come out of this and trust God it will be okay.

So, that was a lot said, but in short, know that you are not alone. I wish you all the best in making your decision.

I am still in the beginning- getting insurance approval.. I am starting to get cold feet.. Did this happen to any of you?

I believe that this is normal for most of us. Surgery of any type is a major situation to go through and should never be taken carelessly. This is an individual decision and you might want to do some thinking on whether you are ready for WLS. Nothing wrong with this, you do want to make sure that you are fairly comfortable with what you are going to be taking on...changing your life style, etc....Anastasia566 is right you can back out anytime.

Everyone approaches this differently and there is no one path to follow to the answers, just know you are not the first and you are certainly not the last to have cold feet.

I wish you luck

Hi, it took me a little over a year to make the commitment, I had an "epiphany:" after working out at the gym one day (a zumba class) my knees hurt ... i hated looking at myself in the mirrored room, i saw all the thin people and just decided that I was tired of struggling and yo you dieting. It's a good thing..but i warn you it's still a lot of work for some of us, it's no miracle solution but it makes things easier I think anyways there's my two cents good luck.

I'm right there with ya! I started this process over a year ago and then got cold feet. It happened around the time my work was laying off people so I used that as my excuse....but really I was just scared! Luckily, I wasn't laid off. The breaking point for me came when I thought I was having a heart attack. I spent one night in the hospital and was turned over to a cardiologist. He put me through every test possible. Good news was....my heart looked good. No blockages.....for now. That would surely change if I continued the path that I was on. My cardiologist lost over 100lbs the "old fashion" way...but he was still an inspiration to me and encouraged me to move forward with the surgery. So now here I am in the home stretch....9 days into my pre-op diet and 5 days till my surgery! My short-term goal is to lose 13lbs before the surgery and I'm down 8 so far! Anyway...to answer your question....YES, I had cold feet and nearly backed out completely. I finally just reconciled to the fact that this is the best thing for my health.

Good luck with your decision!

KSD

i'm 3 years post of and i still remember feeling scared. i was self pay so the process went really quick from my info session to the nutrition class to the psych test to the pre-op test to the surgery... it was about 30 days from start to finish! i had never had surgery. i had never spent the night in a hospital. i had never had general anesthesia. i had never had an IV. and the surgeon i chose was 4 hours away. so, needless to say, i was scared!

it seems like such a daunting task right now... but it's worth it in the end!

I had cold feet too. Then later that day I saw pictures my husband took that day while we were out and all doubt was gone.

I had cold feet up until the minute they were knocking me out. Literally as I was lying on the table I tried to tell my doc I didn't want to do the surgery anymore and then BAM I woke up, everything was over and I was so glad I didn't get to finish my sentence.

Don't worry we all go through this and I think it is the anticipation of it all that is so freaky. I can't imagine having to wait a few months or over a year before being banded. That would freak me out even more. Since I was self pay my consultation and surgery happened within a month of each other. Maybe that was a good idea or maybe it wasn't. I think if I had to wait longer I would have backed out.

I went through a 6 month program that was required by my insurance and there were many many times that I thought to myself...am I doing the right thing?

I made a list of all the reasons why I wanted to do this and had to do this. I knew that if I didn't do something, nothing was going to change.

I doubted if I was doing the right thing almost up to the end. There was even a night while I was on my liquid only diet, that my husband was eating and I had a little pity party for myself and convinced myself that I was being selfish, because I wanted to be healthier and thinner! I was telling myself that I should be happy at the weight I was at.... Wow! Talk about negative self talk!

That night was another "wake up" moment for me.

I am SO glad that I went ahead with the surgery. Sure I'm not going to be able to eat like I used to, but I'm not going to look like I used to, either!

Find your reason.....and the doubt will go away. Good luck to you.