Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone banded (self pay) who had a bmi of 32?

My BMI is only 32 at this point. I was at 35 two years ago. My husband talked me out of the surgery and I went to Duke Weight Loss center for 2 months and I managed to lose 30 pounds. I kept if off for about a year, but never reaching my goal of losing 60 pounds. Lasy year 2010, I started CEAHOW (which is like overeaters anonymous) and again, lost 30 pounds but never reaching my goal. I want to have the surgery now because I know this disease is progressive and I really dont want to wait until my bmi is 35 again. I would like to avoid the problems I have at that weight, which are lower back pain, and slight incontinence along with the problems I currently have, which are, high blood pressure and acid reflux. My insurance will not cover it so I am going to pay myself. Here in South Africa, it is only about $10,000.

So, I am hoping I am not the only one in this boat!!

Hello vucarre,

I am self pay however I will be getting my band in Mexico on the 30th. :thumbup: My BMI is 38 and my insurance wont cover it without me jumping threw 6 months to a year of hoops and in the end my co-pay would be $1,000 cheaper with insurance. To cut 6 months to a year out and all the headache, yeah I'll pay the $1,000 more.

So I'm obessed but just not obessed enough. I have undiagnosed acid reflex problems (I just eat a lot of tums, gum, and drink a lot of milk) and Im sure I have high blood pressure but I havent found a dr that will stay in the small town I was from long enough to do a good physical with me and stay long enough to tell me what is goin on with me. I know I need to loss this weight...last I knew (3 yrs ago) I was borderline annemic, borderline high blood pressure, borderline diabetic....that was 35-40 lbs ago...yet the US doctor's and insurance companies want to wait to help until I'm beyond borderline and make sure I test positive for Diabetes, Annemia, High Blood Pressure, and who knows what else?

My BMI is 33 and I am self pay. My weight has been yo-yo'ing up and down now for about 20 years. Every time I gain weight I weigh more than the last starting weight. I'm just fed up with it all and need something that I will stick with. I figure once I get banded then I'm banded for life and I have to stick with it. I don't have a delusions of this being a magic bullet but I'm thinking of it as my own little enforcer...one that I can't get rid of!

I am being banded by Dr. Curry in Cincinnati on Feb 1st. Good luck to you.

My BMI is 33 and I am self pay. My weight has been yo-yo'ing up and down now for about 20 years. Every time I gain weight I weigh more than the last starting weight. I'm just fed up with it all and need something that I will stick with. I figure once I get banded then I'm banded for life and I have to stick with it. I don't have a delusions of this being a magic bullet but I'm thinking of it as my own little enforcer...one that I can't get rid of!

I am being banded by Dr. Curry in Cincinnati on Feb 1st. Good luck to you.

I too am a self pay with Dr. Curry! The whole office seems great to work with. My BMI is 36 with other health factors. I had my nutrition class today and band date of March 14. Picked up my bag of goodies for preop diet. Good luck to you.

Hi, My BMI is 32 also, I am 35yo, but I have alot of co-morbid conditions. High chol, high trig, PCOS(insulin resistant), and this summer I started having big conduction changes in my EKG. I am a self pay, but its worth it. I can always lose weight like you, but then I never reach my goal, and I always end up heavier and heavier. My Dr said its better to get banded right away when you start having weight related issues. If I had done it a yr ago maybe my heart rhythm would still be normal? I will be banded March 9th, 2011. I cant wait! I started the liquid diet today, and honestly its not real fun, but the end results and being able to live a longer life are soooo worth it! I cant wait!!

Hi!

My BMI was just under 35 when I was banded on 12/20/10. Self-pay b/c I didn't want to deal with all the insurance headaches. Just like most folks on this site, I can lose weight - I've done it lots of times! But I run out of steam & then all the weight returns. I really see the band as longer term solution & so far its worked out just like that.

I'm now 2 months out & 30lbs down. In past weight-loss endeavors, this is about the time I'd lose interest or focus. And, yes, I'm going though that typical pattern but then I just got a fill & viola! back on the "band" wagon!

Good luck to you.

cheers,

chloe

Hi!

My BMI was just under 35 when I was banded on 12/20/10. Self-pay b/c I didn't want to deal with all the insurance headaches. Just like most folks on this site, I can lose weight - I've done it lots of times! But I run out of steam & then all the weight returns. I really see the band as longer term solution & so far its worked out just like that.

I'm now 2 months out & 30lbs down. In past weight-loss endeavors, this is about the time I'd lose interest or focus. And, yes, I'm going though that typical pattern but then I just got a fill & viola! back on the "band" wagon!

Good luck to you.

cheers,

chloe

That is very encouraging! I wondered if the fills would help keep me on track! I cant wait (3/9/11) Thanks for that encouraging news!! Oh, do fills cost extra or are a certain amount included in the price?