Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Desperate for some answers

I got my lap band in August 2010. Immediately after the surgery I had major issues of not being able to even drink. The Dr. told me it was related to swelling and to sip fluids. For a solid week I barely could keep any fluids down, even when he removed the 1ml of Fluid that was in the band. I went in for my first fill and for four days I couldn't keep anything down--I'd take a drink, then immediately it would come back up. By day 5, I was able to keep fluids down. On my second fill, it was day 7 before I was able to drink without problems. On my last fill--it was day 14 before I was able to drink normally--after I had .25ml removed from the band. The theory has been that I was "sensitive to the fills and swelling." Well, after this last fill/removal the AP said that "maybe you've had a band slip from right after surgery" and was wanting to do an x-ray or fluoscopy if I didn't improve. I'm so frustrated. I have had such poor follow-up care from my doctors. Until this last visit where I told them how frustrated I have been with how they have addressed me, they've always seemed to be in a hurry. They didn't pay attention before when I said it was days before I was able to drink normally AND that I frequently (daily) will have food get stuck and immediately come back up. I thought it was normal because nobody seemed concerned. I was told there's a difference between throwing up and regurgitation and that regurg is expected. They seemed focused on the weight loss being so great 70# in 5 months. So--now I don't know what to do or think. I have no one to talk to, no one I know that has done lapband. I live far away from the surgical center and I can't find a support group in my area. I need basic information from making sense what has happened so far, to what to eat, not to eat, why it's hard to eat/drink first thing in the morning, why you can eat one thing today and tomorrow it won't go down, you name it--I need the info. Please don't think that I must be doing something right because of my weight loss--the weight loss has come in dramatic numbers following the fills. The last 14 days, I lost 20 lbs. Not a great way to do this. So--sorry for the novel. I'd appreciate anything you can share with me.

When I read your post I got angry because your doctor appears to be one of those that I refer often to as being a skilled surgeon (maybe) but not knowledgeable about follow up care. These are doctors who were usually general surgeons who jumped on the WLS bandwagon to make money and while they can place the band they don't do good follow up which is the most important part.

Red flag #1 was that you received a fill despite having trouble keeping liquids down. Should never have happened. You should not leave the doctors office after a fill until you are able to drink a cup of Water without problem.

Red flag #2 was that you were continuing to get fills despite your problems and their ignoring of your problems. Not being able to drink normally can cause dehydration and major problems. You doctor should know this.

Red flag #3 was their sole focus on your weight loss. I have said many times on these boards that inexperienced or poorly skilled doctors will see weight loss as their success and weight gain as your failure.

Red flag #4Their answer to your problem sounds like something they just made up.

You definitely should get an upper GI. Next, you should request copies of all your tests - both pre-and post-op, including your operative report. That will get their attention, at least.

Finally, you should have a team of people involved in your band. The surgeon, a nutritionist and nurse. Call the hospital where you had this done and ask to speak to the nutritionist. Didn't you meet with one prior to surgery? Were you given a diet to follow either pre- or post- op?

Please be proactive and don't allow them to treat you in this unacceptable way. If all else fails, find another doctor and take all your test results to him.

Good luck.

Oh my gosh.......

I agree with everything Cleo's mom just said.

You should ALWAYS be able to drink fluids. Of course right after the surgery it will be sipping, but the way it is going for you could have been very dangerous.

What do they mean by throwing up and regurgitation are different????? Um, No, They are the same in my book and it is not normal. That is so lame. Is there any way you can go to someone else for follow up? You are not getting the follow up and care you need.

Dear Mom2Twins,

You poor dear. You are definitely not getting the care that you deserve.

The last 2 fills I've had, I had problems with vomiting and being too tight. I could always drink fluids however. When I called my surgeon, she immediately wanted me in the office and took out the Fluid. I also take quite a few days after a fill to "calm down" and be able to eat normally.

After a fill in December, I had difficulties eating and actually began vomitting a few weeks ago. I travel quite a bit for my job, so I just went on a liquid diet and tried to "grin and bear it." When I finally called my surgeon she was upset that I didn't come in on day 1 of distress. I went in on Monday for an upper GI and it appears my band did slip - possibly because I waited too long with too much vomiting. She removed all of the Fluid from my band and I am now back on a liquid diet for a few weeks before another upper GI. My surgeon has called me twice at home since Monday to see how I am.

In your case, your doctor seems the exact opposite of mine. If you can't switch your care to another surgeon, I would definitely request a conference to discuss the concerns you have with your care. If you are not naturally assertive, you may want to take your spouse, or a friend with you who will emphasize the issues you have.

Good luck.... A mom of twins certainly needs to be well!

A big *ditto* to what Cleo'sMom said! I agree that getting a copy of your records will get their attention as well.

Get your fills under fluoroscopy - your insurance should cover that. It will show your band's exact position.

And insist that you drink a full cup of Water after your fill to make sure you can get it -- and keep it -- down. Inconvenience the Dr. if you have to - it's about your health!

If possible, find another Doctor. You are 100% entitled to a copy of ALL of your medical records per HIPAA, get a copy of everything and go to someone else. Explain your situation and the new Dr. should be sympathetic.